My daughter is a finalist in a national cooking contest

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by eunbee, Feb 12, 2005.

  1. On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 03:25:03 GMT, [email protected] (Gal
    Called J.J.) wrote:

    <snip>

    >Neither do I -- and it's not as if the kids can just sell
    >door-to-door anymore...

    And isn't *that* a sad commentary? <head shaking>

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
    AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    -- Duncan Hines

  2. Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

    > On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 03:25:03 GMT, [email protected] (Gal
    > Called J.J.) wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > >Neither do I -- and it's not as if the kids can just sell
    > >door-to-door anymore...

    > And isn't *that* a sad commentary? <head shaking>

    It's not just a safety issue. A lot of kids are just too lazy these days to
    walk...

    --
    Best
    Greg

  3. Default User

    Default User Guest

    Gal Called J.J. wrote:
    > One time on Usenet, "Default User" <[email protected]> said:

    > > I disagree with this. For many of us, the only opportunity to buy

    GS
    > > cookies is the sheets at work. As long as the parent merely makes

    it
    > > available and doesn't go around asking people,

    > Very important distinction, Brian.

    And it's the way they've done it in my office.

    > > I don't see a problem.

    > Neither do I -- and it's not as if the kids can just sell
    > door-to-door anymore...

    Sure they can, they just don't. It's a myth that it's become more
    dangerous for children out there. People are just more
    afraid/cautious/paranoid (whatever you like).

    Brian

  4. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Default User" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Sure they can, they just don't. It's a myth that it's become more
    > dangerous for children out there. People are just more
    > afraid/cautious/paranoid (whatever you like).

    Since a kid was killed somewhere maybe 30 miles from here,
    selling door to door has done bit the dust. I actually think that
    maybe it's been legally banned. I'm not sure.

    nancy

  5. Nancy Young wrtoe:

    > Since a kid was killed somewhere maybe 30 miles from here,
    > selling door to door has done bit the dust. I actually think that
    > maybe it's been legally banned. I'm not sure.

    Some communities and apartment/condo buildings forbid it, e.g. "no
    soliciting" rules or ordinances...

    --
    Best
    Greg

  6. One time on Usenet, "Gregory Morrow" said:
    > Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
    > > On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 03:25:03 GMT, [email protected] (Gal
    > > Called J.J.) wrote:

    > > <snip>
    > >
    > > >Neither do I -- and it's not as if the kids can just sell
    > > >door-to-door anymore...

    > > And isn't *that* a sad commentary? <head shaking>

    > It's not just a safety issue. A lot of kids are just too lazy these days to
    > walk...

    I wish I could say you're full of it, Greg, but you've got a legit
    point. Fortunately, DH and DS spend most afternoons playing ball,
    riding bikes, or walking...

    --
    J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
    "You still haven't explained why the pool is

  7. TheAlligator

    TheAlligator Guest

    Terry Pulliam Burd <[email protected]> wrote:
    >And isn't *that* a sad commentary? <head shaking>

    Thank you , Terry. Parenting doesn't come with an owner's manual, and
    I tried to do the best I could, like everyone else. The issue here is
    not whether someone gets their "favorite cookie". The tiny lessons
    you teach your kids sometimes turn out to be more important than you
    could ever imagine.