My daughter is getting a bit big for the child seat

Philldavton

Guest
My daughter is getting a bit big for the child seat on the back of my
mountain bike so I was thinking of moving up to one of those kid's bikes
that bolt on to the back of an adult's bike.

1, What are they called, because I've browsed some of the online sites
without seeign any?

2, What sort of age and riding experience do kids need to use them. My
daughter is 4 but doesn't ride a bike of her own (well nto a 2 wheeled
one anyway)?

3, Is there anything that you need to be warned about them?

"Philldavton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My daughter is getting a bit big for the child seat on the back of my
> mountain bike so I was thinking of moving up to one of those kid's bikes
> that bolt on to the back of an adult's bike.
>
> 1, What are they called, because I've browsed some of the online sites
> without seeign any?
>
> 2, What sort of age and riding experience do kids need to use them. My
> daughter is 4 but doesn't ride a bike of her own (well nto a 2 wheeled
> one anyway)?
>
> 3, Is there anything that you need to be warned about them?

Four years old? It's time for her to take the first step. Buy her her own
bike.....tightarse. But beware of the dark side.....

"Philldavton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My daughter is getting a bit big for the child seat on the back of my
> mountain bike so I was thinking of moving up to one of those kid's bikes
> that bolt on to the back of an adult's bike.
>
> 1, What are they called, because I've browsed some of the online sites
> without seeign any?

Trailer bikes I think.

> 2, What sort of age and riding experience do kids need to use them. My
> daughter is 4 but doesn't ride a bike of her own (well nto a 2 wheeled
> one anyway)?

That's about the right age. My daughter started on one just before her 4th
birthday.

> 3, Is there anything that you need to be warned about them?

Yep, she'll probably back pedal (to keep you fit of course). And sometimes
on longer rides she may actually fall asleep. A friend's son while messing
about actually fell off onto the road while moving - luckily on a slower
hill climb. They will do interesting things to your bike's handling
especially on slow turns and while braking. A thrid wheel does tend to slow
you down quite a bit. We also used a tandem with kiddy-cranks and it was
always faster as it only has two wheels to turn.

The gears are probably a bit superfluous, but I got a 5 speed to get her
used to the idea of gear changing. Enjoy getting out on the open road with
your kids, it's a great way to share the experiences.

Cheers
Peter

"**** Shop Stiffy"
<hgfkmndvkytecsbemytbdmiunmswyeuiworeiowgfiorgjreoiiuwjdwuowyjfriogh,ridefrt
[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Philldavton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > My daughter is getting a bit big for the child seat on the back of my
> > mountain bike so I was thinking of moving up to one of those kid's bikes
> > that bolt on to the back of an adult's bike.
> >
> > 1, What are they called, because I've browsed some of the online sites
> > without seeign any?
> >
> > 2, What sort of age and riding experience do kids need to use them. My
> > daughter is 4 but doesn't ride a bike of her own (well nto a 2 wheeled
> > one anyway)?
> >
> > 3, Is there anything that you need to be warned about them?
> >

> Four years old? It's time for her to take the first step. Buy her her own
> bike.....tightarse. But beware of the dark side.....

Do that as well. But the trailer bike opens up a wider horizon. While my
daughter was still 4 yrs old she did a 60 km day ride near Eildonin the
Goulbourne Valley. No chance on her own bike (which she couldn't even ride
properly at that stage).

Cheers
Peter

Peter Signorini said:
"**** Shop Stiffy"
<hgfkmndvkytecsbemytbdmiunmswyeuiworeiowgfiorgjreoiiuwjdwuowyjfriogh,ridefrt
[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Philldavton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > My daughter is getting a bit big for the child seat on the back of my
> > mountain bike so I was thinking of moving up to one of those kid's bikes
> > that bolt on to the back of an adult's bike.
> >
> > 1, What are they called, because I've browsed some of the online sites
> > without seeign any?
> >
> > 2, What sort of age and riding experience do kids need to use them. My
> > daughter is 4 but doesn't ride a bike of her own (well nto a 2 wheeled
> > one anyway)?
> >
> > 3, Is there anything that you need to be warned about them?
> >

> Four years old? It's time for her to take the first step. Buy her her own
> bike.....tightarse. But beware of the dark side.....

Do that as well. But the trailer bike opens up a wider horizon. While my
daughter was still 4 yrs old she did a 60 km day ride near Eildonin the
Goulbourne Valley. No chance on her own bike (which she couldn't even ride
properly at that stage).

Cheers
Peter

the trailer bike was awesome for the transition from trike to bike and got her enthusiasm up if nothing else :)))

Lovely being able to talk to her while you glide along but a bit like being married when you hear that voice nagging you to "Go faster daddy!" LOL :)
Having an older daughter who wa squite independent by that stage meant we can all go out as a family further. Mine are 6 and 10 now and my youngest is getting a bit big for the trailer now. maybe if youre a Melburner we could do some biziness.

Trailer bike is the way to go (not cheap option though), I made my daughter use it around 3 1/2 - due to the fact that her younger brother needed to use her seat. She loves it - only warning is watch out for corners as it certainly changes the4 turning circle!

Also if you are short on storage space, make sure you get a folding trailer bike not much more (extra $50 is)!

Would any of you have suggestions where I could find one of these
elusive folding trailer bikes? I have yet to see one in a bike shop.
I live in Sydney
p.s. dont email to my email address. Doesnt work anymore

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
<...>

> Having an older daughter who wa squite independent by that stage meant
> we can all go out as a family further. Mine are 6 and 10 now and my
> youngest is getting a bit big for the trailer now. maybe if youre a
> Melburner we could do some biziness.

Howdy hey...

I'd be interested in the trailer bike - I am in Ashburton. If you are
interested in selling, please let me know what sort of price you are after
at tallmantim at iinet dot net dot au.

Cheers,

Tim