My dream retirement bike.

Sep 30, 2017
I'm going to retire in less than two years. I'm planning on cycling being a big part of it. I've been thinking about buying or building a new bike for my retirement. My idea of the ultimate retirement bike.
In 1999, I commissioned a new all steel bike from a well known custom frame builder. Basically a 26" hardtail, rigid fork mountain bike with a road triple crank. The idea being that I could change it's purpose by changing tires and rear cassette, or, with dual purpose tires and compromise gearing, I could ride it on both the road and easy off road trails. I call it a hybrid. The concept worked out pretty well. I've put a lot of miles on that bike.
My idea for a retirement bike is kind of a modern update of that bike. I want to start with a carbon MTB frame or complete bike, install a rigid carbon fork, either 29er wheels or 27.5, and all high end MTB components, including flat bars, and with touring or commuting tires around 1.5 to 1.75 inches.
I'd really like a 27.5, but a 29er would make gearing for road riding easier. With a carbon frame and fork and modern MTB components, it should be way lighter than my old hybrid. I think my days of hard core off road are over, if they ever existed. With the fattish pavement tires, and carbon frame, it should have a pretty smooth ride and it should handle the easy off road I do with no problem. I'm not looking to blow anybody's doors off, I just want a bike that's pleasant to ride without being a slug.

Aren't they making "gravel bikes" now for the sort of thing you seem to want. The latest flavour of the week.

But why wait for retirement? There's no time like the present.

I'm going to retire in less than two years. I'm planning on cycling being a big part of it. I've been thinking about buying or building a new bike for my retirement. My idea of the ultimate retirement bike.
In 1999, I commissioned a new all steel bike from a well known custom frame builder. Basically a 26" hardtail, rigid fork mountain bike with a road triple crank. The idea being that I could change it's purpose by changing tires and rear cassette, or, with dual purpose tires and compromise gearing, I could ride it on both the road and easy off road trails. I call it a hybrid. The concept worked out pretty well. I've put a lot of miles on that bike.
My idea for a retirement bike is kind of a modern update of that bike. I want to start with a carbon MTB frame or complete bike, install a rigid carbon fork, either 29er wheels or 27.5, and all high end MTB components, including flat bars, and with touring or commuting tires around 1.5 to 1.75 inches.
I'd really like a 27.5, but a 29er would make gearing for road riding easier. With a carbon frame and fork and modern MTB components, it should be way lighter than my old hybrid. I think my days of hard core off road are over, if they ever existed. With the fattish pavement tires, and carbon frame, it should have a pretty smooth ride and it should handle the easy off road I do with no problem. I'm not looking to blow anybody's doors off, I just want a bike that's pleasant to ride without being a slug.

A lot of inspirations and bike knowledge:D will take a long time to reach me there