My Europe trip

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Bozeman, May 11, 2003.

  1. Bozeman

    Bozeman Guest

    Well, I made it to Amsterdam, and then Haarlem to pickup my Baron from Bas Slabbers at BikePlanet.
    Thanks also to Richard Wolters at Optima.

    I have, after more than a month, made it through Holland, Belgium, France and some of Italy and
    Switzerland. The bike has been great, and I have met very few people who have even seen a recumbent.
    Seems to be all positive responses, though I don't like the French and Italian drivers who express
    positive with their horns.

    A couple of questions: I replaced the flatland cassette (shimano) with an SRAM since shimano is
    harder to find in Italy. It doesn't work so well, is this because of incompatibility? If adjusted
    right for gears 4-9, 3 likes to jump to 2, and 2 to 1.

    Also, Bas had difficulty getting the Magura Julie disk brakes centered exactly, but he said that if
    I wore the pads a little, it would have plenty of spacing. This does not seem to be the case, as the
    front brake rubs on one side only, and the slightly bent rear disk rubs occasionally on one side.
    Anything I should do or expect? Swiss guy who spoke only slightly more English than I speak German
    said they could mill the brackets to fit better for $40 and 4 hours I didnt have.

    I hope that the people who passed me going up hills realize that its not the bike's fault, and may
    not evenbe the engine's, instead oneshould blameto extra 50+ pounds on the back.

    I won't be able to consistently look at this group, so would appreciate if replies were emailed to
    me at [email protected]

    Thanks, Craig

    Tags:

  2. Bozeman wrote:

    > Also, Bas had difficulty getting the Magura Julie disk brakes centered exactly, but he said that
    > if I wore the pads a little, it would have plenty of spacing. This does not seem to be the case,
    > as the front brake rubs on one side only, and the slightly bent rear disk rubs occasionally on one
    > side. Anything I should do or expect?

    The noise may be a little off-putting, but once you get going you probably want notice it. If
    it's rubbing badly, yopu might need to faff around with the shims between the caliper and the
    fork / frame.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/