My favorite affordable, quality shorts are ???

ToddTaylor

Jun 18, 2003
I've needed some new riding shorts for quite some time now, but it seems like most shorts are pushing $50+ each, which means that buying shorts is actually quite an expensive ordeal... especially if you want to buy a few pairs.

I typically perfer simple black, 8-panel lycra shorts, but my local bike shops seem to only stock a few insanely expensive pairs for $80+ which I feel is way too much money for some lycra fabric and a chamois pad :rolleyes: That pretty much leaves me to shopping online if I want to find affordable shorts. The problem with that is I can not tell what the quality level of a pair of shorts is by looking at them online.

So, what I'm asking for is your opinion on what *affordable* shorts you like, and were you get them. I know that everyone's opinions will differ, but I'd simply like a few opinions before I dump a few hundred dollars on some shorts!

Oh, I'm 6'1", 167 lbs., and a pretty skinny guy (probably like many of you ;) )... if that matters.

I have had good luck with Olympia Sports branded shorts which I use as my "my expensive shorts are all dirty" back-ups. Gel, sandwiched in lycra, not chamois, and a little bit shorter than the Diamondbacks that I love.

The cheap shorts actually cost you more in the long run - you end up replacing them more often because they've worn out or just don't do the job you bought them to do.

Assos bib shorts are great, but I'm not spending $100 for a freaking pair of shorts again. I can't wait until Adidas and Nike get into real cycling apparel manufacturing bib shorts, lowering the prices, and push Assos and other primo Italiam companies out of the market.

Originally posted by BaCardi
Assos bib shorts are great, but I'm not spending $100 for a freaking pair of shorts again. I can't wait until Adidas and Nike get into real cycling apparel manufacturing bib shorts, lowering the prices, and push Assos and other primo Italiam companies out of the market.

I hear that! I've owned expensive shorts before and I personally think they don't last longer, they just cost more. Granted, the fit-n-finish on a $100+ pair of shorts is certainly going to be much nicer than that of a $30 pair, but there seems to be a happy "middle ground" in there somewhere.

Yes, it would be nice if some big companys started mass-producing quality cycling clothing, but then again, Nike isn't exactly known for it's low-prices either :(

Reebok mass produces shorts that run around $45 USD and are pretty good quality. Often available in standard sporting goods stores.

Castelli are not bad, not too expensive (40-50 euros, about 40-50$), good quality and last a quite long time, in my opinion.

Originally posted by Sidi
I'll second the motion.

VOLER Bibs!

...and I triple that motion - VOLER Bibs - have several sets and have not been able to wear them out. Good cost also...

rlroadie

Originally posted by ToddTaylor
I've needed some new riding shorts for quite some time now, but it seems like most shorts are pushing $50+ each, which means that buying shorts is actually quite an expensive ordeal... especially if you want to buy a few pairs.

I typically perfer simple black, 8-panel lycra shorts, but my local bike shops seem to only stock a few insanely expensive pairs for $80+ which I feel is way too much money for some lycra fabric and a chamois pad :rolleyes: That pretty much leaves me to shopping online if I want to find affordable shorts. The problem with that is I can not tell what the quality level of a pair of shorts is by looking at them online.

So, what I'm asking for is your opinion on what *affordable* shorts you like, and were you get them. I know that everyone's opinions will differ, but I'd simply like a few opinions before I dump a few hundred dollars on some shorts!

Oh, I'm 6'1", 167 lbs., and a pretty skinny guy (probably like many of you ;) )... if that matters.