My feet are too wide for sidi energy high tech shoes....

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by wcngu1, Aug 30, 2006.

1. wcngu1

wcngu1 New Member

After a month of research and when I had finally organized all my gear from probikekit.com and totalcycling and was about to pay for them all I had to do was go to a LBS and test the sidi shoes on my feet to find the right size.

to my HORROR I found that my feet are far too wide for the Sidi High tech ENergy shoes and had no idea what to do. I did a bit more research and found that there are MEGA sizes in a few models such as the Genius 5 MEGA shoe but I was wondering if sidi were going to make the High tech energy shoe in a MEGA size or even the ERGO in a MEGA size. Or maybe I can get them custom made or they already exist somewhere?

Im sure many people have been in my situation haha I wish I didnt' have such flat and wide feet :(

also if anyone has any good sites besides probikekit.com and totalcycling for sidi shoes because they dont' stock the mega's or dont' have my size :)

Tags:

2. B Rubble

B Rubble New Member

Welcome to the wonderful world of building for the masses. It is more profitable to build for the most common sizes, and forget about the untapped markets that fall outside of the bell curve.

Some sports shoe manufacturers don't even make wide sizes. Others have such poor standards (different factories) that a size 8 of one shoe may be larger than a size 9 of another shoe.

Since you (and I) are outliers (I wear a size seven extra wide)
    expect to go to the low volume (read more expensive) manufacturers.

The alternative is to get shoes too large for you feet (rewarding the companies that expect your feet to meet their product specs, instead of the other way around).

You see the same thing with some frame mfgs, where the frame sizes are small, medium and large. For many people, a small may be too small, but a medium may be too large. More profitable for the manufacturer, as their costs go down, but it promotes a lot of unsatisfied customers.

3. pixelmill

pixelmill New Member

I have wide feet [double E] and the Mega are worth it! I LOVE them! My guy told me to try only those shoes - wouldn't recommend any others - and they have been great.

you'll find them here:

https://shop.sunrisecyclery.com/item/13627/

*very* good prices!

cheers

John ;)

4. DiabloScott

DiabloScott New Member

Trying on shoes at the store and then buying on-line is a crappy thing to do. The extra few bucks the store might get is their charge for having them available.

5. wcngu1

wcngu1 New Member

That may be true but I am a student who is sacrificing his food here lol. Either way I"m probably going to buy them from my LBS anyway as he agreed to do a deal with me :)

6. DiabloScott

DiabloScott New Member

Starving students can find cycling shoes for about a fourth the price of Sidis.

7. wcngu1

wcngu1 New Member

Of course but its called my own stupid instinct of trying to get things perfect if there is a way. I do buy things from my LBS for my mountain bike but paying twice the amount for the same shoe just seems a bit ridiculous. And after shopping around even in australia I"ve realised prices vary so much that some shops are charging a bit too much. Luckily I"ve been able to bargain at most places and even MATCHED internet prices :) so yes I admit I"m quite the bargain hunter....

enough info about my buying habits lets get back on topic please :D

8. DiabloScott

DiabloScott New Member

Sidi makes great shoes, I'd get some if I could afford them too.

Looks like they might not make this model in mega width - How about Genius 5 shoes?

9. mysrh

mysrh New Member

How can I know if I have narrow/wide feet?

10. DiabloScott

DiabloScott New Member

It doesn't matter, buy your shoes from a store that lets you try them on and get the ones that fit the best. If they have wide and standard versions of the same shoe, try both on.

If you have to go mail order, order three or four pairs of best guesses and face the fact that you'll be sending two or three pairs back.

11. Baulplair

Baulplair New Member

I have wide feet too and have to get size 4E width shoes. It's a real hemorrhoid finding shoes of any kind that fit. I tried a couple shoes at an LBS that seemed to fit OK. Sidis and something else... Carnac I think?

This summer I bought a pair of SPD sandals off Nashbar and they seemed to do the trick. Now I just gotta figure out what I'm gonna wear in the winter.

12. kleng

kleng New Member

Shimano 215BE have the "e" width sizing in their top of the range shoe.

http://www.shimano.com.au/catalog/cycle/products/shoe.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441780351&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302037554&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181400&bmUID=1156973630473

These should be readily available through your australian LBS, by the way which one is this ? I find these just as good a the Sidi's Ergo's and they are cheaper.

Next spring, they are bringing out a newer model.
    http://www.bicycling.com/article/0,6610,s1-1-8-14730-1,00.html

13. wcngu1

wcngu1 New Member

yeah it looks like the sidi Genius 5 mega is my only choice really. My LBS is currently drained of all its stock (not even the energy hi techs...) and they aren't even sure if they can get in the Genius 5 mega. Its too bloody hard to find the right size shoe in Australia/Melbourne.... Called pretty much half the deal list on the official website and they DONT stock them at all! MUch to my surprise.. must be a very very very old list... its driving me insane haha

I considered shimano but I really want to see what this sidi hype is about... I"m just too curious :D

14. sideshow_bob

sideshow_bob New Member

I don't think so. I've bought Sidi, Nike, Shimano in shops and have at different times bought the same size shoes online. To date their sizing has always been the same and I've never had to return a pair of shoes.

I recently gambled on a set of Exustar shoes for training and simply went off the online sizing guide. They fit perfectly.

--brett

15. kleng

kleng New Member

16. wcngu1

wcngu1 New Member

Yeah I tried searching for my shoe but they didn't have shoes in their online catalogue it looks like they haven't quite finished the website :(

just wondering if there was much of a difference between the Genius mega 4 and the Genius mega 5? Are they pretty much identicle or are there huge improvements between the two?

17. wcngu1

wcngu1 New Member

now I"m bloody confused.. I went to a second LBS who has been in the business for 16 years and he too has wider EEE feet but still wears normal shoes. He told me it doesn't matter that the feet are wider than the shoe because its only the balls of of your foot that really matter. And no he wasn't trying to get me to buy his shoes because he didn't sell sidi's. He pretty much told me if I could fit into the shoe and it wasn't painful then Its perfectly fine even if the base is smaller than my foot in width.

Now I will never know unless I try the sidi shoe instore but I can't find any hi tech energy shoes in a 43 in the entire victoria.. its driving me nuts...

18. mikesbytes

mikesbytes New Member

Why don't you buy something else. As long as they have a stiff sole and fit correctly, then you aren't going to see any significant difference in performance, a little bit of weight perhaps. Your foot should be held so it doesn't move around in the shoe. Sidi is an excellent brand, but its not the only brand out there.

19. wcngu1

wcngu1 New Member

http://sidiusa.com/

here I found the charts for the estimated sizing and I"m dead on a 43 and my width is also perfect for a 43. I just think my LBS got confused or something... I"m sorta relieved now that I have something to aim for.

ANOTHER BREAK THROUGH!

http://www.xxcycle.com/php/boutique/page.php?nom=RAYON&from=marque&who=98&plus=pagination&start=25

this site recommends buying shoes a size larger than usual. You can see this when you hover your mouse pointer above a product!! GODDAMN THIS IS WHAT i"VE BEEN LOOKING FOR

20. kleng

kleng New Member

You have to ring them, they don't have on-line ordering.