My Feet Hurt

eBent

Jun 22, 2006
After years of cycling in sandals, I decided to try clipless pedals again. I picked Eggbeater Pedals and Shimano MT-20D shoes.

The pedals seem fine but the shoes are killing my feet. Yesterday I had to turn back after 10 miles. The shoes do not seem to disperse the stress from the clips very well. The shoe is comfortable but even when walking I can feel the clip pressing hard against my foot.

Did I just pick a bad shoe? No one would ever ride with this level of discomfort. I have used clipless pedals
before
SPD and Time and did have this much trouble.

Should I look for inserts or just find another pair of shoes? The Shoes look very well made.

Can anyone
recommend
a comfortable light mountain shoe?

Thanks ... Roland

After playing with cleat position I can comfortably ride for 20 miles. Still a long way from where I was with scandals and PowerGrips.

I don't expect my feet to hurt at the end of a ride.

blazingpedals said:
It sounds to me like you have wide feet, and Shimano shoes aren't wide.
That is a possible. What is hurting my feet is the ridges on the edges of the plate used to hold the cleat in the shoe and the screws coming thru the plate. Shimano has avery thin cover over these.

I'd definitely buy wider next time.

I went bike shop trolling and here's hat bike shops say:

1. Shimano is widest of the bike shoes except some megas

2. My foot is narrow but I need a big toe box

eBent said:
After years of cycling in sandals, I decided to try clipless pedals again.
Why did you try shoes instead of sandals? I have large feet, the GF has funny feet. We both found the answer to be Lake sandals with BeBops, although I understand you can use lesser clips.

Yesterday I rode in cool weather - I just pulled on a pair of cotton socks over my biking socks and my feet were nice and warm. My upper body froze. Must plan better next time.