My first 200k Audax Tomorrow

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simonb, Mar 13, 2004.

  1. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Through the South Downs from Steyning (strong southerly
    predicted!).

    Hmmm... a very long way.

    Simon

    Tags:

  2. Simonb wrote:
    > Through the South Downs from Steyning (strong southerly
    > predicted!).
    >
    > Hmmm... a very long way.

    Good luck! Sounds like fun.

    d.

  3. Martinm

    Martinm Guest

    "Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Through the South Downs from Steyning (strong southerly
    > predicted!).
    >
    > Hmmm... a very long way.
    >
    > Simon

    Flattest 200 in the book so i'm told, see you there. ;-)

  4. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    > Flattest 200 in the book so i'm told, see you there. ;-)

    Really? That's good. I'm doing the Doset Coast in April
    (and I know that's a hilly one) -- so Steyning is to build
    up for it.

    See you there for a cuppa (blue Specialized thingy).

    Simon

  5. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    Simonb wrote:
    > Through the South Downs from Steyning (strong southerly
    > predicted!).
    >
    > Hmmm... a very long way.
    >
    > Simon

    Good luck, I an steadily building up to 200s

  6. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    > Good luck, I an steadily building up to 200s

    Probably a good idea. Most I've done was 130k. I thought you
    were quite experienced when it came to long rides, or do I
    have you confused with someone else?

    Simon

  7. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    Simonb wrote:
    >> Good luck, I an steadily building up to 200s
    >
    > Probably a good idea. Most I've done was 130k. I thought
    > you were quite experienced when it came to long rides, or
    > do I have you confused with someone else?
    >
    > Simon

    I am not a mega long range rider, the most I have ever done
    in one go is 135miles, Morecambe to Scarborough, pretty much
    non stop. I have done loads of touring doing 80 -110 miles
    each day but that was over 10 years ago. I tend to get stale
    and bored as the summer progresses and have a break in the
    winter so I need to build up again in the spring. This/last
    year I had a lay off in September and October then have been
    steadily doing about 140 miles per month from November until
    now. I am not ready for 200Km at the moment, could probably
    do 100 off the bat. The weather here in Yorkshire is cool at
    the moment and I don't really want to be out for over six
    hours a day.

  8. <MSeries> wrote:
    > Good luck, I an steadily building up to 200s

    Me too. I aim to do my first by 2030.

    --
    Keith Willoughby http://flat222.org/keith/ We have always
    been at war with Eastasia

  9. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 10:39:17 -0000, "Simonb"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Through the South Downs from Steyning (strong southerly
    >predicted!).
    >
    >Hmmm... a very long way.

    No, it's four rides of 50k, one after another.

    Much easier that way.

    Seriously, don't look at the big picture, treat each leg as
    a separate event. 50K? Do it on your head. Don't forget, eat
    before you ghet hungry, drik before you get thirsty.

    Tim

  10. Martinm

    Martinm Guest

    "Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Flattest 200 in the book so i'm told, see you there. ;-)
    >
    > Really? That's good. I'm doing the Doset Coast in April
    > (and I know that's a hilly one)

    Me too

    -- so Steyning is to build up for it.

    > See you there for a cuppa (blue Specialized thingy).

    Yellow Ribble, EGCC top ;-)

  11. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Through the South Downs from Steyning (strong southerly
    > predicted!).
    >
    > Hmmm... a very long way.
    >
    > Simon

    Good luck, hope you're not heading south too much, it was a
    bit of a grueller this morning at 0600 commuting only 1
    mile direct into south wind.

    Simon Mason

  12. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    [email protected] (Simon Mason) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Simonb" <[email protected]>
    > wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Through the South Downs from Steyning (strong southerly
    > > predicted!).
    > >
    > > Hmmm... a very long way.
    > >
    > > Simon
    >
    > Good luck, hope you're not heading south too much, it was
    > a bit of a grueller this morning at 0600 commuting only 1
    > mile direct into south wind.

    Oh dear, it's now turned into a 45 mph wind and I've only
    12 miles to do, so good luck with your 120! Simon

  13. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    > [email protected] (Simon Mason) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "Simonb" <[email protected]>
    > > wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > Through the South Downs from Steyning (strong
    > > > southerly predicted!).
    > > >
    > > > Hmmm... a very long way.
    > > >
    > > > Simon
    > >
    > > Good luck, hope you're not heading south too much, it
    > > was a bit of a grueller this morning at 0600 commuting
    > > only 1 mile direct into south wind.
    >
    > Oh dear, it's now turned into a 45 mph wind and I've only
    > 12 miles to do, so good luck with your 120! Simon

    It was the highest wind I've ever cycled in (gusting to 58
    mph) coupled with torrential rain. I went home off road in
    case a side wind blew me off in front of a lorry. I could
    have broken the London - Hull record of 7.5 hours today!

    --
    Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W
    http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

  14. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    <[email protected]>:

    >Through the South Downs from Steyning (strong southerly
    >predicted!).

    How was it, then?

    --
    Guy
    ===

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
    Washington University

  15. "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > It was the highest wind I've ever cycled in (gusting to
    > 58 mph) coupled with torrential rain. I went home off
    > road in case a side wind blew me off in front of a
    > lorry. I could have broken the London - Hull record of
    > 7.5 hours today!

    It was pretty windy even down here in London this morning, I
    practically got blown over trying to do a slow turn out of
    an intersection, with a strong cross wind. I'm glad I was
    only doing a 3 mile pootle for some errands! I do feel sorry
    for whoever was doing 200km today! I wouldn't have liked to
    be doing it...

    Rich

  16. Martinm

    Martinm Guest

    "Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Flattest 200 in the book so i'm told, see you there. ;-)
    >
    > Really? That's good. I'm doing the Doset Coast in April
    > (and I know that's a hilly one) -- so Steyning is to build
    > up for it.
    >
    > See you there for a cuppa (blue Specialized thingy).
    >
    > Simon

    well wasn't that fun!! and it had the cheek to stop raining
    just as I arrived back in Steyning at 1730. Thought I saw a
    blue Specialized bike, which is very rare for this sort of
    thing,in Midhurst on the way out, looked nice. Will look out
    for you on the Dorset Coast if you haven't been put off by
    today ;-) Martin

  17. Simon Mason wrote:
    > It was the highest wind I've ever cycled in (gusting to
    > 58 mph) coupled with torrential rain. I went home off
    > road in case a side wind blew me off in front of a
    > lorry. I could have broken the London - Hull record of
    > 7.5 hours today!

    I can well believe those figures - it was hell out there
    today. I almost had my front wheel blown out from under me
    by crosswinds several times. It was still great being out
    there on the bike and I would have kept going but then it
    started hailing and it felt like I was having freezing
    cold pins stuck in my face and that's when it just stopped
    being fun, so I doubled back to the station and got the
    train home.

    Still, I managed a grand total of 54 miles today, so I'm
    dead chuffed - I haven't cycled that far in one go for more
    than 10 years. And the bits when I had the wind at my back
    were fantastic.

    d.

  18. I wrote:
    > Still, I managed a grand total of 54 miles today, so I'm
    > dead chuffed - I haven't cycled that far in one go for
    > more than 10 years. And the bits
    when
    > I had the wind at my back were fantastic.

    ...and I forgot to say hats off to anyone that finished the
    200km today - hope you all came home within the time limit.

    d.

  19. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    > well wasn't that fun!! and it had the cheek to stop
    > raining just as I arrived back in Steyning at 1730.
    > Thought I saw a blue Specialized bike, which is very rare
    > for this sort of thing,in Midhurst on the way out, looked
    > nice. Will look out for you on the Dorset Coast if you
    > haven't been put off by today ;-) Martin

    Got in at 1755. I would've got in much earlier if I'd not
    taken the wrong sign for Fernhurst (don't ask) -- which sent
    me over Black Down (!) and into Haslemere causing me much
    confusion.

    Good fun when the wind was behind -- averaging 45kph
    on the flat.

    Simon

  20. Martinm

    Martinm Guest

    "Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > well wasn't that fun!! and it had the cheek to stop
    > > raining just as I arrived back in Steyning at 1730.
    > > Thought I saw a blue Specialized bike, which is very
    > > rare for this sort of thing,in Midhurst on the way out,
    > > looked nice. Will look out for you on the Dorset Coast
    > > if you haven't been put off by today ;-) Martin
    >
    > Got in at 1755. I would've got in much earlier if I'd not
    > taken the wrong sign for Fernhurst (don't ask) -- which
    > sent me over Black Down (!) and into Haslemere causing me
    > much confusion.
    >
    > Good fun when the wind was behind -- averaging 45kph on
    > the flat.
    >
    > Simon

    Glad you enjoyed it. I would get another one in before
    Dorset; 1 AAA point is not earned easily!. The Cheltenham
    Flyer looks fun; I'm doing the Invicta as it is so near to
    me. The Stonehenge is similar to yesterday, especially if
    windy Martin ;-)