My first 200k Audax Tomorrow

Simonb

Guest
Through the South Downs from Steyning (strong southerly
predicted!).

Hmmm... a very long way.

Simon

Simonb wrote:
> Through the South Downs from Steyning (strong southerly
> predicted!).
>
> Hmmm... a very long way.

Good luck! Sounds like fun.

d.

"Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Through the South Downs from Steyning (strong southerly
> predicted!).
>
> Hmmm... a very long way.
>
> Simon

Flattest 200 in the book so i'm told, see you there. ;-)

> Flattest 200 in the book so i'm told, see you there. ;-)

Really? That's good. I'm doing the Doset Coast in April
(and I know that's a hilly one) -- so Steyning is to build
up for it.

See you there for a cuppa (blue Specialized thingy).

Simon

Simonb wrote:
> Through the South Downs from Steyning (strong southerly
> predicted!).
>
> Hmmm... a very long way.
>
> Simon

Good luck, I an steadily building up to 200s

> Good luck, I an steadily building up to 200s

Probably a good idea. Most I've done was 130k. I thought you
were quite experienced when it came to long rides, or do I
have you confused with someone else?

Simon

Simonb wrote:
>> Good luck, I an steadily building up to 200s
>
> Probably a good idea. Most I've done was 130k. I thought
> you were quite experienced when it came to long rides, or
> do I have you confused with someone else?
>
> Simon

I am not a mega long range rider, the most I have ever done
in one go is 135miles, Morecambe to Scarborough, pretty much
non stop. I have done loads of touring doing 80 -110 miles
each day but that was over 10 years ago. I tend to get stale
and bored as the summer progresses and have a break in the
winter so I need to build up again in the spring. This/last
year I had a lay off in September and October then have been
steadily doing about 140 miles per month from November until
now. I am not ready for 200Km at the moment, could probably
do 100 off the bat. The weather here in Yorkshire is cool at
the moment and I don't really want to be out for over six
hours a day.

<MSeries> wrote:
> Good luck, I an steadily building up to 200s

Me too. I aim to do my first by 2030.

--
Keith Willoughby http://flat222.org/keith/ We have always
been at war with Eastasia

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 10:39:17 -0000, "Simonb"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Through the South Downs from Steyning (strong southerly
>predicted!).
>
>Hmmm... a very long way.

No, it's four rides of 50k, one after another.

Much easier that way.

Seriously, don't look at the big picture, treat each leg as
a separate event. 50K? Do it on your head. Don't forget, eat
before you ghet hungry, drik before you get thirsty.

Tim

"Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > Flattest 200 in the book so i'm told, see you there. ;-)
>
> Really? That's good. I'm doing the Doset Coast in April
> (and I know that's a hilly one)

Me too

-- so Steyning is to build up for it.

> See you there for a cuppa (blue Specialized thingy).

Yellow Ribble, EGCC top ;-)

"Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Through the South Downs from Steyning (strong southerly
> predicted!).
>
> Hmmm... a very long way.
>
> Simon

Good luck, hope you're not heading south too much, it was a
bit of a grueller this morning at 0600 commuting only 1
mile direct into south wind.

Simon Mason

[email protected] (Simon Mason) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Simonb" <[email protected]>
> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > Through the South Downs from Steyning (strong southerly
> > predicted!).
> >
> > Hmmm... a very long way.
> >
> > Simon
>
> Good luck, hope you're not heading south too much, it was
> a bit of a grueller this morning at 0600 commuting only 1
> mile direct into south wind.

Oh dear, it's now turned into a 45 mph wind and I've only
12 miles to do, so good luck with your 120! Simon

> [email protected] (Simon Mason) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Simonb" <[email protected]>
> > wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Through the South Downs from Steyning (strong
> > > southerly predicted!).
> > >
> > > Hmmm... a very long way.
> > >
> > > Simon
> >
> > Good luck, hope you're not heading south too much, it
> > was a bit of a grueller this morning at 0600 commuting
> > only 1 mile direct into south wind.
>
> Oh dear, it's now turned into a 45 mph wind and I've only
> 12 miles to do, so good luck with your 120! Simon

It was the highest wind I've ever cycled in (gusting to 58
mph) coupled with torrential rain. I went home off road in
case a side wind blew me off in front of a lorry. I could
have broken the London - Hull record of 7.5 hours today!

--
Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

> It was the highest wind I've ever cycled in (gusting to
> 58 mph) coupled with torrential rain. I went home off
> road in case a side wind blew me off in front of a
> lorry. I could have broken the London - Hull record of
> 7.5 hours today!

It was pretty windy even down here in London this morning, I
practically got blown over trying to do a slow turn out of
an intersection, with a strong cross wind. I'm glad I was
only doing a 3 mile pootle for some errands! I do feel sorry
for whoever was doing 200km today! I wouldn't have liked to
be doing it...

Rich

"Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > Flattest 200 in the book so i'm told, see you there. ;-)
>
> Really? That's good. I'm doing the Doset Coast in April
> (and I know that's a hilly one) -- so Steyning is to build
> up for it.
>
> See you there for a cuppa (blue Specialized thingy).
>
> Simon

well wasn't that fun!! and it had the cheek to stop raining
just as I arrived back in Steyning at 1730. Thought I saw a
blue Specialized bike, which is very rare for this sort of
thing,in Midhurst on the way out, looked nice. Will look out
for you on the Dorset Coast if you haven't been put off by
today ;-) Martin

Simon Mason wrote:
> It was the highest wind I've ever cycled in (gusting to
> 58 mph) coupled with torrential rain. I went home off
> road in case a side wind blew me off in front of a
> lorry. I could have broken the London - Hull record of
> 7.5 hours today!

I can well believe those figures - it was hell out there
today. I almost had my front wheel blown out from under me
by crosswinds several times. It was still great being out
there on the bike and I would have kept going but then it
started hailing and it felt like I was having freezing
cold pins stuck in my face and that's when it just stopped
being fun, so I doubled back to the station and got the
train home.

Still, I managed a grand total of 54 miles today, so I'm
dead chuffed - I haven't cycled that far in one go for more
than 10 years. And the bits when I had the wind at my back
were fantastic.

d.

I wrote:
> Still, I managed a grand total of 54 miles today, so I'm
> dead chuffed - I haven't cycled that far in one go for
> more than 10 years. And the bits
when
> I had the wind at my back were fantastic.

...and I forgot to say hats off to anyone that finished the
200km today - hope you all came home within the time limit.

d.

> well wasn't that fun!! and it had the cheek to stop
> raining just as I arrived back in Steyning at 1730.
> Thought I saw a blue Specialized bike, which is very rare
> for this sort of thing,in Midhurst on the way out, looked
> nice. Will look out for you on the Dorset Coast if you
> haven't been put off by today ;-) Martin

Got in at 1755. I would've got in much earlier if I'd not
taken the wrong sign for Fernhurst (don't ask) -- which sent
me over Black Down (!) and into Haslemere causing me much
confusion.

Good fun when the wind was behind -- averaging 45kph
on the flat.

Simon

"Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > well wasn't that fun!! and it had the cheek to stop
> > raining just as I arrived back in Steyning at 1730.
> > Thought I saw a blue Specialized bike, which is very
> > rare for this sort of thing,in Midhurst on the way out,
> > looked nice. Will look out for you on the Dorset Coast
> > if you haven't been put off by today ;-) Martin
>
> Got in at 1755. I would've got in much earlier if I'd not
> taken the wrong sign for Fernhurst (don't ask) -- which
> sent me over Black Down (!) and into Haslemere causing me
> much confusion.
>
> Good fun when the wind was behind -- averaging 45kph on
> the flat.
>
> Simon

Glad you enjoyed it. I would get another one in before
Dorset; 1 AAA point is not earned easily!. The Cheltenham
Flyer looks fun; I'm doing the Invicta as it is so near to
me. The Stonehenge is similar to yesterday, especially if
windy Martin ;-)