MY FIRST 30-MILE RIDE, WOOHOO!! QUESTION: What do I do tomorrow?

Thanks Swampy! I'm from Rocklin, but I live in Burbank now. I've got an appointment with Nate Loyal next Tuesday, so here's hoping he can help me!

Sierra,

Phoenix only feels marginally hotter than Sac but it has some decidedly wicked thunderstorms in summer. Fantastic to watch but no fun at all to be out and about in - even in the car. I was last out there last summer and during a couple of the storms the water was coming back up through the drains adding to the big river in the street...

Not sure I could ride a bike out there though. Would have to take the bike in the car upto Sedona. ;)

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Hey, Swampy![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]I think in NORMAL years Phoenix is only marginally hotter than Sacramento, but this year is so weird. Over the Memorial Day weekend, for example, it's supposed to be in the mid-70's here -- and in the low 100's in Phoenix!! I realize that our cool weather isn't normal, but that doesn't matter when the weather I'm used to at the time is 25 degrees cooler than the weather where I'm going. I'll think I'm dying, whereas if it had been 100 here, or even in the 90s, the change wouldn't be so drastic.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]It reminds me of when I lived in Flagstaff. It would be 50 there, and we would drive to Phoenix and it would be 75 -- which SHOULD be great weather, but if you're used to 50, it still feels hot, lol. So I am a little concerned about how the change will affect me until I acclimate -- however long that takes. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]But you're right about taking the bike up to Sedona or Flagstaff. Those are beautiful places! If they weren't so darned expensive, we'd be moving there instead of Phoenix. But because they ARE so beautiful and moderate in temperature, the law of supply and demand applies to housing there, even if the rest of the country has gone down the toilet, economy-wise. I looked for a $100,000 home in Flagstaff -- and found 2 literal SHACKS 20 miles out of town for that. In Phoenix, I can get a 4-bedroom house with a pool for that. Sigh.....[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Anyway, maybe it'll help me sweat off some more weight, which stopped coming off with the less biking during the winter. As a friend who lives there told me: We don't call perspiration 'sweating', here. We call it 'rendering lard'. LOL! Only older folks or those who lived near farms will even know what that means, but I thought it was pretty funny. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Anyway, if you live in the area, we can give each other a wave as you speed by me some day, lol.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Have a good one. [/COLOR][/SIZE]