My first 31.52 mile ride

DeanN

Jul 25, 2010
I rode 31.52 miles this morning. That is my longest ride to date. It was not to bad. My legs hurt some when I got down, but I am felling better now. I know this is not that long for a lot of riders here but it was for me. Been riding now for 5 or 6 weeks. I am really enjoying cycling and hope to ride 100 miles next year sometime. Thanks for reading just wanted to share it.

Feels good don't it?:D:D:D

I have been riding about three months and my best day is just over 36.

I started out doing five miles in several hours and felt like I was doing
all I was able to do.

Congrat's and keep it up, and keep us posted!

What kind of bike do you ride, mine is a Wal Mart special!

Congrats. My early day rides were time based. No more than 20 minutes. Years later and that is 3 hours+. I road and raced a Trek 1200 (the old 1 series bikes) for years. Great bike and I raced against people on way better bikes. Ride it hard.

DeanN said:
I rode 31.52 miles this morning. That is my longest ride to date. It was not to bad. My legs hurt some when I got down, but I am felling better now. I know this is not that long for a lot of riders here but it was for me. Been riding now for 5 or 6 weeks. I am really enjoying cycling and hope to ride 100 miles next year sometime. Thanks for reading just wanted to share it.

Good for you! Keep up the good work and have fun!

:cool:

DeanN said:

Great job! When I started riding in Oct I never was more than 15 miles, and with a few exceptions that was the case until late spring. Since then I've moved that up to 25s 4 days a week. Some longer rides on Sundays, working towards a 64 in September.

Keep at it! Every ride is a good ride!

rawhite1969 said:
Great job! When I started riding in Oct I never was more than 15 miles, and with a few exceptions that was the case until late spring. Since then I've moved that up to 25s 4 days a week. Some longer rides on Sundays, working towards a 64 in September.

Keep at it! Every ride is a good ride!

I am trying to do a 19.12 miler 3x a week right now myself and then one 13 miler. Its very addictive.

This may or may not work for you, but I was an "off and on" rider for 2 or so years. Then I got inspired by an ad in Bicycle magazine. The ad was a charity ride to support the fight against diabetes called the "Tour de Cure". It was a 60-mile bike ride. Before this, I had never ridden more that 25 miles with the cycling group, and the group always took a break at a coffee shop 2/3rds through the ride. So now inspired, I began to train. Over the course just one month, I moved to the more advanced cycling group riding 30-40 miles. I would run a mile during my lunch break at work. And while it was challenging, I completed that 60 mile ride and raised some money for a great cause too.

What it means, maybe you can try a charity ride. Find a good one, register, and raise some money. With all the financial supporters you can't let down, you find might find some inner motivation and get to that century without hesitation.

Good luck.

I agree. Signing up for a charity ride like a century is always a good motivator to get out and ride more and longer. Worked for some of my friends when we did a 2x100kms over 2 days in June.

Keep up the work and you'll be surprised at how fast you improve.

CdnRider said:
I agree. Signing up for a charity ride like a century is always a good motivator to get out and ride more and longer. Worked for some of my friends when we did a 2x100kms over 2 days in June.

Keep up the work and you'll be surprised at how fast you improve.

I will mostly do that next year for sure. I will have to check around for one. I don't know any other riders right now. So I will check the internet. There is a riding club that is close to me, I am thinking about joining that next year also. That way I can meet some other cyclist.

DeanN said:
I am trying to do a 19.12 miler 3x a week right now myself and then one 13 miler. Its very addictive.

You'll find challenges when the weather goes south, especially in MI. I found a city park in Indy that is more like a state park. They plow the roads better than the city streets and it allowed me to ride all winter. Which was great considering I had just gotten back into this in Oct. The right riding gear and weather is never an obstacle (with the exception of strong winds and lighting!)

Keep it up Dean! It IS addicting! Every time I walk by one of my bikes on an off day I wonder why it is an off day!

First off well done on completing your first 30 mile plus ride.

Similar to yourself I had never really been into road biking until about 2 months ago. My first ride was about 13 miles around Edinburgh and I try to go back to the small fishing village that I come from every couple of weeks to cycle with childhood friends.

They took me out on Saturday and we completed just over 33 miles (which was the biggest for me) in just under 3 hours. This ride was quite hilly and I even managed to get up to 37.5 mph (the others got to 45ish) and I seriously can not wait to get back out with them.

Next time they say it will be closer to 40ish and eventually up to the 50-60 mile mark which they can do... Switching from mountain biking to road bikings is a world apart, I generally done 15 milers cross country and thought road biking would be boring.

I am even starting to think about going down England (I live in rainy cold Scotland) with them next year for a few days riding.

BHOFM said:
Feels good don't it?:D:D:D

I have been riding about three months and my best day is just over 36.

I started out doing five miles in several hours and felt like I was doing
all I was able to do.

Congrat's and keep it up, and keep us posted!

What kind of bike do you ride, mine is a Wal Mart special!

Your bike is it a GMC Denali 700c? thats the one i have. got it from walmart online.

Rolandfernandez said:
Your bike is it a GMC Denali 700c? thats the one i have. got it from walmart online.

$88 mountain bike, Next Power Climber. I have road tread tires now.