My first bike build

Andrepaul

Sep 15, 2004
This is the first time that I've decided to build up a bike rather than buy it complete and I was wondering if there are some important key points to know before I begin. The frame is a Litespeed Ultimate with Chorus group, USE Alien carbon seatpost and carbon stem and handlebars. I figure that I'd need to torque the bottom bracket, crank arms and stem to particular specs and all the other components should be tightened by "feel". What do you think?

Andrepaul said:
This is the first time that I've decided to build up a bike rather than buy it complete and I was wondering if there are some important key points to know before I begin. The frame is a Litespeed Ultimate with Chorus group, USE Alien carbon seatpost and carbon stem and handlebars. I figure that I'd need to torque the bottom bracket, crank arms and stem to particular specs and all the other components should be tightened by "feel". What do you think?
You're probably going to want a torque wrench for the seatpost, bars, and stem also. The only other specialized tools you might need are cable cutters and a Campy cassette lockring tool (needle-nose pliers if nobody's looking) You could instal the headset cups with a mallet and a couple chuncks of wood, but it's probably going to be less of a headache to just take it to a shop for that. Same with the crown race on the fork.

Andrepaul said:
If the fork/headset is not already installed in the frame, let a good shop do it. Unless you are sufficiently experienced and have the proper tools, you don't want to mangle the steerer on a $300+ carbon fork. Other than that, a torque wrench is helpful, but not absolutely necessary. Ti-prep for the BB threads, no grease on the carbon seatpost. Have fun.