My First Bike Tour -- Day Two, Part C

SierraSlim

Oct 4, 2010
[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff]Well, I need a break from unpacking the moving boxes, so will finish Day 2 on my break now.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff]After lunch, the tour continued. Because it was beginning to rain, Wimpy Sierra stayed in the Sag wagon until the next rest stop, which turned out to be at pretty much just at a crossroads with old, mostly closed buildings, park benches, and the all-important potties. We had started in Spokane, biked around Coeur d'Alene, and were on our way to Kellogg, where we would stay the next 3 nights. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px] [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE= 12px][/SIZE]
[SIZE= 12px] [/SIZE]
[SIZE= 12px]One of the old closed buildings did have helpful instructions like this....[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff]... where we waited for the more intrepid cyclists to roll in... like my sister, and our beloved guide, Linda G. (Both guides were named Linda, so we had Linda B, Linda G, and Linda Squared, lol.) [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff] [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff]After the wet, cold bikers had some cocoa and hot tea, I rejoined them and we pedaled off for Kellogg. As usual, I brought up the rear of the group because I stopped every 90 feet to take pictures, lol. This time, I was joined by Julie, who ended up being a terrific biking buddy. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff]We had a great time. She took the picture of me in the previous thread, and when we got tired near the end of the day, while I was groaning and trying to breathe at mile 38, Julie sang "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall" to keep us laughing. We took pictures of the rivers, which were really swollen from the record snowfall thawing. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff]There were also some lovely lilac bushes along the bike path, which smelled heavenly and were mixed colors.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff]I like them, too. But most of all, I loved the SIlver Mountain Resort in Kellogg, where we stayed in condos for the rest of the tour. The rooms were so much nicer than I had been expecting. There were 2 bedrooms separated by a common living area. Each bedroom had its own bathroom and en-suite kitchenette, and the ilving area had a full livingroom, dining area, and full kitchen. It was spectacular. This is the lobby entrance. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff]And this is the kitchenette in our bedroom, and the bedroom.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff]My sister and I shared this bedroom, and one of our biking buddies had the other bedroom. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff]At supper, we could order anything we wanted off the menu, including appetizers and desserts. The only thing we would have to pay for were any alcoholic beverages.... not that Sierra would ever do such a thing. HA![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff]This is Ruth and Rae, who became instant friends. I coveted Ruth's salad... but had a craving for meat and devoured a rib-eye steak, LOL. And we didn't worry about dessert, because for the fire pit outside in the courtyard, they handed out 'Smores kits! This is the view of it from our balcony.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff]But what I liked most of all....[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff].... was the roof-top hot tub. The soaking achy muscles, and the views from it, were lovely.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff] [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff]I had a l ball there with (L to R) Caroline, Sheila, and Ina. And that was the perfectly lovely ending to a perfectly lovely Day Two. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

I will have to remember this thread just for name of the resort, in case we ever get there. Definitely a place that my wife (and I) would like. Steve

Reactions: SierraSlim
Pictures are great, and it looks like you are having a great time. But,, Slim, we are friends? And I can speak freely? Traveling with a bunch of people would be absolute hell for me! About half way through day two, I would turn chain saw killer!!!!!!/img/vbsmilies/smilies/duck.gif/img/vbsmilies/smilies/hissyfit.gif/img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif

[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff]Brad, [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff]You KNOW we're friends (or ought to), and of course you can speak freely. I wouldn't expect you to do anything else, lol. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff]I don't like large groups, either, except at meal times -- when I enjoy sitting and chatting with friends as we dine, hearing their experiences about the day. The beauty of the tour, though, was that I rarely saw the other cyclists at any other time EXCEPT meals. We were spaced out so far apart that I was almost never with more than one rider at a time -- usually my sister, occasionally with the sweep rider/tour guide, and once with Kathy asI I mentioned above. At the rest stops I would take all their pictures (which I've sent to them already), and off they would ride in groups of 2 or 3 at different paces. And, since I was taking pictures of them all leaving, I was inevitably the last one to leave, so rode pretty much alone (which is how I got lost the first day). I LOVED riding with the sweep rider, who would watch me bike and give me pointers, stop me to adjust the bike to fit me more perfectly, etc. Loved that. But I had plenty of cycling by myself, with maybe a rider or two visible in the far distance, just listening to the birds (and the bear!) and feeling the stress and tension just ooze out of me. On one afternoon, I was cycling alone for a few hours, and had time to think about my friend who died unexpectedly the week before the tour, to meditate on how much she would have loved the tour (if she hadn't died, I would have insisted she go with me on the next one), and to do some mourning in private. So I wasn't with the other 15 almost at ANY time, except for meals and when the shuttle took us from one place to another. Therefore, no chain saws were necessary, lol.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff]I also think that traveling with a group of women is an entirely different animal than with a group of men -- who are competitive, it seems, by nature, whose idea of encouraging often seems to be dispersed as belittlement or with shouting, and I doubt would be as nurturing and encouraging as a group of mothers can be, which is what most of us were. I was the third-youngest in the group, the newest biker, and never got anything but support and being built up from any of them. I felt like adopting them all as moms before it was over. And that is precisely the reason I chose an all-woman tour; I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much with a lot of men watching me struggle up the hills. There are some really nice guys here that would be great tour buddies, admittedly. But the chances of y'all in particular being on my tour would be remote, and I just don't want to ride with a bunch of arrogant male athletes who roll their eyes as the fat granny pedals along at 1/4th their speed. THAT would require a chain saw.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff]So I was happy with my little groups AND my solitude. [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff]But remind me never to invite you to my parties, lol. At least not without a metal detector at the door.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff]Have a good one.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks, Paramount![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff]I've only recently discovered my passion for photography, so will be looking into courses I can take to get better. I'd love to get paid to take pictures!! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Originally Posted by SierraSlim .
[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff]. I'd love to get paid to take pictures!! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Take the word of an old wise man, It ain't near as much fun when you are doing it for money.
We are talking about photography BTW, get your mind out of the gutter!

I did it for 40 years and it got real old at the end. Even working for PlayBoy.

One of my best I think?

Reactions: SierraSlim