My First Bike!!!!!

linck

Dec 31, 2006
I just bought my first road bike today. It's a trek 1000. With the shorts jersy and helmet I spent 900 bucks. I'm really excited to go on my first ride tommorrow. hopefully I don't crash. I'm not sure how far I should go. I figure I'll just ride. I'mm planning on a cadence of 80. my bike bike might not be the best on the market but it feels super fast and I really like how it handles. I guess I would appreciate it if someone could give me some tips on distance and form and stuff. I've never riden a road bike before. So any info would be truly appreciated.

DEEDS NOT WORDS

Congratulations!

I'd say before you get into going spend some time becoming familiar with stopping. Get a good feel for the stopping power of your brakes in both dry and wet conditions, and if you have clipless pedals practice getting in and out of them efficiently. Nothing's more embarassing than having to stop suddenly when you're not prepared for it then tip over and smack the ground while you're fumbling to free your feet from the pedals. Well, there is one thing more embarassing than that - stopping when you are prepared for it and doing the same thing.

Well done, good choice of bike.

just ride to get a good feel of your bike, how it handles, stopping, how your body feels etc.

It's a good idea to get a bike computer to check your speed distance etc. A basic one won't set you back too much at all.