My first Brooks saddle - impressions

Baka Dasai

Guest
I've been riding a Brooks B17 for 3 weeks now (other than stopping for meals etc :). Here's my
mini-review.

Before using it I gave it a good coating of Dubbin on the underside, and a very light coating on the
top. The Dubbin completely soaked into the underside, but stayed sitting on the top surface until I
wiped it off.

Upon riding it, my first impression was "It's hard", but after about 30 seconds I realised that it
actually wasn't uncomfortable. In fact it felt pretty damn comfortable straight away, even though it
was hard. One thing I liked was the slipperiness of it - it made it very easy to adjust position,
especially when sitting back down after unweighting the saddle for bumps.

I soon noticed that the slipperiness was causing me to slide forward, putting extra weight on my
hands. A bit of extra upwards tilt on the saddle fixed that.

After just a couple of days I noticed that I already had caused significant depressions in the
saddle underneath my sit bones. They weren't small depressions - they were quite large. After 3
weeks these are now quite pronounced. The saddle now has two big depressions under the sit bones,
while the centre of the saddle remains as smooth and high as it was originally. I can feel some
pressure under my crotch which never used to be there. So far it doesn't cause pain or numbness, but
it might if the depressions underneath the sit bones get much deeper.

I did a small experiment where I felt the underneath of the saddle with my hand while I was riding.
When my foot was at the top of the pedal stroke, my sit bone was making a very noticable depression
into the leather. The saddle was really taking quite a hammering from my butt, 80-90 times a minute.
It's no wonder that the leather was stretching/softening so quickly.

Overall I have mixed feelings about this saddle. It's more comfortable than I thought it would be,
but the rate at which it is stretching and sagging is very worrying.
--
"Naturally, the common people don't want war. But, after all, it is the leaders of a country who
determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along. All you have to do is

>the centre of the saddle remains as smooth and high as it was originally. I can feel some pressure
>under my crotch which never used to be there.

This is why I quit using mine. I always got the crotch pressure from the center portion. B

Belij3 <[email protected]> wrote:
:>the centre of the saddle remains as smooth and high as it was originally. I can feel some pressure
:>under my crotch which never used to be there.

: This is why I quit using mine. I always got the crotch pressure from the center portion. B

You don't want that pressure. Tilt that saddle down a bit. Get a micro adjust set post.

--------------------------------
Bob Masse' [email protected]
--------------------------------

On Sat, 03 May 2003 01:01:13 -0400, Baka Dasai wrote:

> I've been riding a Brooks B17 for 3 weeks now (other than stopping for meals etc :). Here's my
> mini-review.
>
> Before using it I gave it a good coating of Dubbin on the underside, and a very light coating on
> the top. The Dubbin completely soaked into the underside, but stayed sitting on the top surface
> until I wiped it off.

[snip]

> Overall I have mixed feelings about this saddle. It's more comfortable than I thought it would be,
> but the rate at which it is stretching and sagging is very worrying.

I'd worry too, if I were you. What is "Dubbin"? Certainly nothing Brooks recommends. I have five or
6 Brooks saddles in service right now, all but one B17s. The oldest saddle is a Brooks Pro I started
using in 1991. None of them are sagging like yours.

In article <[email protected]>, Steve Palincsar <[email protected]> writes:

> I'd worry too, if I were you. What is "Dubbin"?

It's a traditional leather treatment, closer in effect to neatsfoot oil than to saddle soap. I think
maybe all the above treatments are really more suited to thick-leather cowboy boots, than to bicycle
saddle leather. If I had a Brooks, I'd be inclined to stay with tried-&-true Proofide.

> Certainly nothing Brooks recommends. I have five or 6 Brooks saddles in service right now, all
> but one B17s. The oldest saddle is a Brooks Pro I started using in 1991. None of them are sagging
> like yours.

IIRC, there's some sort of tightening nut under the saddle? I seem also to recall seeing/hearing
advice about "shoe lacing" the underside, to drum-tighten them; maybe that's a sort of last resort
improvisation(?). Maybe a Google search on: "Brooks saddle sag" would cough-up some info? I
wouldn't be surprised if a Sheldon Brown link turned up in the results. That'd be one I'd home-in
on, for sure.

cheers, Tom