My First Campagnolo Groupset Bike

MotownBikeBoy

Nov 24, 2012
I just bought this. I was looking for a second road bike to use as a training bike. It was on clearance at Performance.

Kestrel RT1000 2013

Bottom Bracket:FSA Integrated, BB30
Brakes: Campagnolo Athena
Cassette: Campagnolo Athena 11-25T
Chain: KMC X11, 11-sp
Crankset: FSA SLK Carbon 52/36T (47cm, 50cm: 170mm; 53cm, 56cm: 172.5mm; 59cm, 62cm: 175mm)
Fork: Kestrel EMS Pro Full Carbon, 1 1/8" - 1 1/2" Tapered Steerer
Frame: Blend of 700K & 800K High Modulus Carbon Fiber
Frame Bottom Bracket:
Frame Fork:
Frame Fork Travel:
Frame Front Derailleur:
Frame Headset Size:
Frame Material:
Frame Replaceable Dropout:
Frame Seatpost:
Frame Weight:
Front Derailleur: Campagnolo Athena EPS, Braze-on
Grips/Tape: Kestrel Suede with Gel Padding
Handlebar: Oval Concepts 310 6061 Alloy, Ergonomic Fit (47cm, 50cm: 40cm; 53cm, 56cm: 42cm; 59cm, 62cm: 44cm)
Headset: FSA Orbit 1 1/8" Top, 1 1/2" Bottom with 15mm Top Cover
Levers: Campagnolo Athena EPS
Pedals: None
Rack Mounts: None
Rear Derailleur: Campagnolo Athena EPS, 11-sp
Rear Shock:
Saddle: Oval Concepts 700 w/ CrN-Ti Alloy Rails
Seatpost: Kestrel EMS Pro Aero
Shifters: Campagnolo Athena EPS
Stem: Oval Concepts 713 7050 3D-forged 31.8mm +/- 6 degrees (47cm, 50cm: 90mm; 53cm, 56cm: 100mm; 59cm, 62cm: 120mm)
Tires: Vittoria Rubino Slick 700 X 25c
Wheelset: Oval Concepts 535 Alloy Clincher, 35mm rim, 20H Front, 24H Rear

Congratulations!

Now...DON'T break the damned brake levers trying to shift them!!!!! Oh wait...you got EPS!

Ditch the KMC chain and install a Chorus chain. Let me know what you think of the early version Athena EPS and did you get the external battery...assuming so.

You can convert to internal and that really helps clean up the look of the bike.

Also, let us know what you think of the Kestrel. Aren't they in bed with Fuji now? Should be a pretty sweet frame.

You are THE MAN when it comes to anything Campy - will do as you suggest!

BTW - notice I said "first"

Other than that weird looking 'seattubeless' design Kestrel had, I like their frames and have considered them seriously a couple of times I was adding another bike to the stable. Same with Fuji. They also impress me on the value-performance scale.

If you want to try the full deal, order a set of Campy Pro Fit pedals and set a pair of shoes up for them. While they really are nothing special other than being stabile, comfortable and have a good adjustable release tension setup (and any shitmaNO pedal from Ultegra to Dura-Ass will be the equal, bearing-wise and offer similar features) they will keep you from defiling your bike with eeevil Speedplay's, Look's (meh...Look builds the Campagnolo pedals), Time's or <shudder> shitmaNO units.

Remember...Campagnolo means ALL Campagnolo! Accept no substitutes!

J/K. Roll with what works for you.

Now get busy and post detailed pictures of this new rig.

I don't have it yet - it's "ship to store" so is scheduled for delivery to the local Performance in about 3-4 days. Probably ready for pickup about Tuesday 12/15.

Link to product description on the Performance website:

http://www.performancebike.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/mProduct4_10551_10052_1128060_-1_catNav

BTW - where exactly does one buy all things Campagnolo? Mainly via mail order? Because Campy dealers are few and far between - there appear to be 2 in Michigan, metro Detroit and Traverse City. Looks like you have 3 in OH, 2 in the Columbus area, one near Cleveland.

So, do you make a pilgrimage from time to time and mail order as needed to fill in the gaps?

Now that being said ... I guess I'm lucky, the Detroit area shop is about 5-6 miles from my office, and less than a mile from my chiropractor's office, and I see him usually every other week.

Sounds pretty amazing and it really looks the part as well. Is it an early Christmas present perhaps?

Enjoy your new purchase! :)