My first century on the 11th of February!!

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by GatorDeb, Dec 18, 2011.

1. GatorDeb

GatorDeb New Member

After a couple of Sprints triathlons in 2010 and 2011 and one marathon and one half marathon, I'm ready to step it up in 2012. I have done one 34 mile ride and one 60 mile ride and all other rides have been 10 miles or so (I've ridden outside about 10 times in my life since I went from obese coach potato to athlete starting July 2009). Plan to ride a lot more inside and out, got some Spinnervals and Sufferfest, there's two pro groups, a beginner group, and tons of group rides all over town every day, and we have this awesome 30 mile highway that is highly populated by cyclists and runners with wide shoulders and hills.

So, I got six weeks starting in a week to prepare :) I did the 60 miles in 5:05:00.

I got padded bike liners that double up as shorts because that's what I think was beginning to be a problem more than my legs on the 60 mile one towards the last 5 miles. I mostly do 8 spin classes a week, I don't really ride outside, and that spinning got me through 60, so I think six weeks of all out training should get me to 100. I routinely do 20+ hours of group workout classes at the gym weekly but I'm going to decrease that significantly and do more swinning/running/biking.

Tags:

2. An old Guy

An old Guy Member

Most of the centuries around here have a time limit of 8 hours.

3. maydog

maydog Well-Known Member

Is there a question here?

I you are wondering about your training regimen. You may want to share your goals with us and comment on the route and equipment you are using.

It sounds like you are putting plenty of hours in toward training. However, be sure to put some quality training in those hours. I'd bet that many on this site, myself included, spend much less time training. You should be training at or above an intensity that you plan to ride.

Consider also that spinning, while good for cycling fitness, will not prepare as you as well as getting outside riding. There are many additional mental, physical and logistical demands to address out on the road.

4. GatorDeb

GatorDeb New Member

That's the one thing I want to change, I want to do more intensity in a lesser period of time, I've gotten so physically accustomed to the classes they're not doing much for me physically anymore, as fun as they are. So hopefully the cycling DVDs will add a jolt.

I'm still not sure whether to go by cadence or by HR. I have a Forerunner 305 and by then will have the 910XT with me and I have the monitor hooked up to the road bike.

So six weeks of training should be enough to bump it up from 60 to 100 right? Something I was happy for is that I nailed the nutrition on the 60. One bottle with Perpetuem for the whole ride, the other botle with water, Gatorade and oranges and pb and banana sandwhiches at the two rest stops and a gel every hour (which was replaced by the rest stops for two of those hours). That seems to work well for me and I'll be replicating that on the century.

5. liveon2wheels

liveon2wheels New Member

You've got some good advice here so far - especially if you only have 6 weeks to train. One of my concerns for you is spending another 3 hours in the saddle at least - 8 hours - given your previous time for 60 miles. You must live in a good year round weather climate to be able to do a century in February. If I were your coach, I would want more time to both increase your average speed as well as get at least 1 outdoor ride in per week. I would alternate your higher intensity workouts with some long steady states in Zone 4 - to get your body used to a steadier process of lactate flushing and your mind used to maintaining a higher level of effort for longer periods of time. I would set my sights on completing the century in 6 hrs - that's about 16.7 MPH average. Assuming there are not a lot of hills, this might be within reach.

6. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

If it's at all possible, I'd do a couple of rides a week doing around 60 to 70 miles. If food and nutrition are going to be an issue do a couple of 30ish mile loops based around your home and pick up some food and fresh bottles from there. Prepare the food and bottles in advance so you don't end up spending time in the house and have less of a temptation not to go back out again.

If you can do several weeks that include one or more 70 mile rides then a one off 100 mile event shouldn't be too bad.

As for the nutrition - see what the century ride is going to offer, especially with regards to the energy drink, and try that out. For personal experience I've found that mixing different manufacturers drinks can have an unpleasant side effect.

The other thing to try and hone up on is riding in a small group - riding close to the back wheel of another rider saves a lot of energy and will make progress during the century much faster AND much easier.

Have fun.

Good luck.