My first Clipless experience

Jaguar27

Sep 19, 2003
Well, I finally did it, I went Clipless today...

I got my Felt Road Bike back yesterday after a major tune-up, it's first after around 300+ miles....

I went out for a 10 mile ride today, and decided to drop by my LBS to thank him for doing such a great job, he was busy with other Customers so I decided to have a look at the Pedals...and asked him to screw a pair of Clipless on my Bike...

Then I realized I have to get home, I was 5 Miles away, 5 miles of busy roads :(

Anyway, we all have to die sometime, so I went ahead...

He put the Pedals on, put the cleats in my shoes, gave me some basic instruction and off I went into a busy Parking lot to practice...

I'm really stoooooopid sometimes....

Anyway, not only couldn't I get clipped in for ages, when I was I really struggled to clip out....so I went back to the shop....

When I got there my LBS Guy was talking to someone who had just rode up on a VERY spendy looking Bike...
They asked me how I got on, I just shook my head...

So the Guy who had just rode in said "OK, get back on the Bike, let's have a look"

He asked me to take my shoes off and stand in my normal position, my Toes pointed outwards..."So I'll set the Cleats so that when you clip in your Feet are in their normal position" said the Guy...
So he took my shoes into the workshop and I said to my local LBS Guy "Wow, he's very helpfull huh"

My LBS Guy told me "Yeah, he's one of the VP's of Shimano, North America" I then remembered their HQ is in Irvine, So Cal, pretty local....

So I'd like to thank Shimano, North America, for their excellent Customer Service!! There was no need to send a VP down on his Bike on a Saturday morning to adjust my Cleats and answer all my questions....this is waaaaaay beyond good Customer service in my Book...he was a very nice Guy and obviously very knowledgable...

But on a serious note, it's great to think that the People from Shimano are real Cyclists and love it as much as we all do...this Guy was telling us he did a Century on thursday, a 30 mile mountain Bike ride on Friday and there he was riding on Saturday, he knows my LBS Guy very well apparently...

But I rode home, 5 miles on a busy street, trying to watch the Traffic and saying over and over "Clip-out...Clip out"

I was happy to get home, now I need to take everyone's advice, practice on grass, clip in and out at least 60 times before going on the Street....again....:D

It would be great to hear other Riders' first time experiences, was it a piece of Cake or a near death experience?

I went clipless immediately with my new Kona Hoss - this after a 10-year break from cycling. Clipless just made too much sense not to try - the better form, increased power/efficiency, etc. Anyway, I had very little trouble getting used to it and would never go back. I have taken a couple minor spills and I'm sure I'll take a couple more - the advantages far outweigh any negatives for me.

Mine first experience was pretty bad. I fell down waiting behind the red light. It was a crowded place so every one saw me falling down and it was humiliating. An old lady helped me to raise on my feet coz my feet were stuck in pedals and it was impossible to raise without any help.
So i rode away humiliated and my knee was bleeding bad...

I went clipless for 2 weeks now, everything was fine until just 5 hrs ago, went for a ride on the hills, was quite tired and my fren stop out of a sudden I manage to unclip but the front end still stuck to the pedal so just a minor spill but as usual they must be some audience, a whole lot of cars waiting for the lights ... humiliating esp when I was on full cycling gears ...

I got into clipless this summer, seeing the great deals before fall came I decided to ignore my wallet and equipped myself...

One of the bad ideas i've had was to go riding in off-road trails the day after...I got pretty lucky and never had noticeable injuries except some minor scars!

In August I bought a new road bike (a Litespeed Sirius) and bought SPD pedals. Took the bike out on a local bike path to avoid traffic and to get used to clipping in and out. No problem at the stop signs where the bike path crossed the streets. However, feeling very proud of myself for not falling, I was making a U-turn on the path to head home and couldn't quite make the turn. So I went to step off and forgot to clip out - landed full on my ribs and broke two. The bike was fine though.

Yep, I'm fine. My wife is convinced I sacrificed myself to save my precious bike. Maybe she's right.

I switched to clipless about 7 years ago when I was riding only mountain bikes. The first two rides went fairly well on the areas technical trails. The third ride was on a sandy trail the day after a rain and the sand stuck to my cleats everytime i put a foot down. The sand caused the cleats to bind into the pedal's release mechanism. I was riding with a group that would stop regularly to talk, laugh at each other and fix minor problems. We probably stopped about a dozen times along a 3 mile trail and I fell at least 10 of those times. I'd slow and begin working to get my foot out but the sand grains wouldn't allow things to release properly. I'd go over thrashing and screaming to the great delight of my riding buddies. On one small climb I remember being dragged back down the incline by my feet which were still stuck in the pedals.

After the pedals were worn in the problem went away but since I never had more than a few scrapes and bruises from the learning phase, I remember it rather fondly. I now have two mountain bikes and two road bikes, all with clipless pedals. The only warning I can give those who may not have switched yet is, you can't go back. Platform pedals will never work for you again once you've become used to the secure locked-in feeling. The good part is, it would be silly to go back. Riding on platform pedals deprives you of part of the riding experience and robs you of what you're really able to do.

Seeing as I started this thread I'd thought I'd better give an update, some great posts from People who have responded by the way.

yesterday was my second Clipless Day, and no crashes to report...yet....;)

I was riding with some Friends and we decided to go to a Local Coffee Shop at the Harbor, so as we negotiated our way between a lot of Pedestrians I decided to leave my left foot unclipped just in case..pedaling very slowly and weaving in and out at walking pace we made it...I'd hate to fall and take a couple of innocent Pedestrians with me...grabbing one round the shoulders and dragging him to the ground in front of lots of spectators wouldn't be a good idea...

I had problems clipping in with my left foot mainly, I start off with my right foot and always put my left foot on the Pedal once I get going....

But keep the stories coming!!

I'd avise any future nubies to clippless to do the exact opposite to me, don't ride home immediately after having your Pedals installed from the Bike Store along a Busy road and don't ride amongst highly populated areas either...practice first on a Grassy/soft surface....

But once I'm clipped in and moving, Clipless do make a huge difference...I intend to perservere and take the knocks...hope they're not TOO bad!!!

:(

Originally posted by rossoreduk
LOL its not about the bike! just ask lance! hope ur ok!
Sure it is! Skinned knees heal... gouged paint on a new frame stings for longer.

First time I tried clipless pedals, I did a horizontal track stand after about 100 yards....luckily it was on a nice quiet road with no traffic or pedestrians. But my rear mech got those characteristic scrapes on the body, you know the ones I mean.....then a few days ago my roomie went clipless and in almost the same spot I fell, he fell too....thing is, he was on his brand new road bike so he stuck a knee out to break the fall, and ended up with a huge hole in his leg. And his rear mech has been "christened" with those little scratches, just like my one was. When you meet someone with clipless pedals, check their rear mech out and see if it looks like the bike has fallen over on it, I reckon most clipless riders' rear mechs will have those telltale scuff marks!

I'd heard all the stories about everyone falling when they first get clipless pedals and always in front of a crowd.

But I was determined this would not happen to me. I put my pedals on, put the cleats on and went for a ride. No parking lot practice for me. Besides, the LBS said to ride at least 3 miles before making any cleat adjustments.

Pedals felt fine, so I did my full ride. No problems. A few weeks went by and I thought, Ha, no falls. I even emailed a buddy to tell him how well I adjusted to clipless. I wasn't even thinking about them anymore.

Of course sure enough, the next ride out, I was no longer thinking about my pedals and had to make a panic stop due to some turning cars and of course I went over on my side. Worst of all, traffic stopped for me so after I got up and I had to try and hurry and it was slightly uphill and I couldn't get going and clip in. It was of course the most embarassing situation, just as my riding buddies promised would happen.

I went clipless early on and loved it. I felt like I had finally made it to at least looking like a pro. LOL. After a few weeks of riding I rode to a friends house to talk to him. Pulling into his driveway I noticed he was cooking out. At that point I forgot I was clipped in. It could have turned out really bad as I fell into the grill, but as it was I got lucky and walked away without a burn! Only a few minor scratches. On a lighter note? I have seen veterans fall over at stop lights. P.S. I switched from Look to speedplay and I will never go back! What a knee saver.

Originally posted by bryanquinn
I went clipless early on and loved it. I felt like I had finally made it to at least looking like a pro. LOL. After a few weeks of riding I rode to a friends house to talk to him. Pulling into his driveway I noticed he was cooking out. At that point I forgot I was clipped in. It could have turned out really bad as I fell into the grill, but as it was I got lucky and walked away without a burn! Only a few minor scratches. On a lighter note? I have seen veterans fall over at stop lights. P.S. I switched from Look to speedplay and I will never go back! What a knee saver.

The lighter note re: veterans falling over at stoplights. I just meant that we all do it sometimes. Don't want anyone to think that I think it's funny, as I have heard of people breaking collar bones from this misshap.

Originally posted by bryanquinn
I was pretty solid and problem free for the first few weeks I was in clipless pedals, actually -- it wasn't until I got more comfortable and confident that I had a few red light topple-overs. Those are the worst; embarrasing and mysteriously rough on the legs. The few times I've done that I've come away with chunks missings from my knees and blood down to my socks.

Also, fairly early on, I started bonking on a climb and couldn't get a leg out quick enough once my forward velocity dribbled to zero. Pretty dopey looking.

Well, it's been quite some time (knock on carbon fiber) since I've had a mishap...

Rode 50 miles down a very busy main road the day i bought my first racing bike with clipless pedals. No problems. Felt strange at first but i soon got used to it. Never fallen off though i've had a few very close calls!
Always try to anticipate when i have to release my foot from the pedal. This gives me the time to safely disengage.

The damage always come when in a panic stop or when we're drain, most other time we're prepared.

Originally posted by lokstah
I was pretty solid and problem free for the first few weeks I was in clipless pedals, actually -- it wasn't until I got more comfortable and confident that I had a few red light topple-overs. Those are the worst; embarrasing and mysteriously rough on the legs. The few times I've done that I've come away with chunks missings from my knees and blood down to my socks.

Also, fairly early on, I started bonking on a climb and couldn't get a leg out quick enough once my forward velocity dribbled to zero. Pretty dopey looking.

Well, it's been quite some time (knock on carbon fiber) since I've had a mishap...

Yep, compacency sets in I guess....

One problem I've had on my first two rides with my new Clipless is that as I'm approaching a Traffic Light, or any other place where I anticipate I'm gonna have to stop is that I'm concentrating so much on making sure I get out of the Pedal I forget to change down gears before I stop so I can take off again, I had to get off my Bike twice at the Lights, change to an easier Gear, get back on, then wait for the NEXT Green light...

I just casually check other stuff on my Bike to make any casual spectators think I'm making an adjustment or something...:cool:

Originally posted by Jaguar27
Yep, compacency sets in I guess....

One problem I've had on my first two rides with my new Clipless is that as I'm approaching a Traffic Light, or any other place where I anticipate I'm gonna have to stop is that I'm concentrating so much on making sure I get out of the Pedal I forget to change down gears before I stop so I can take off again, I had to get off my Bike twice at the Lights, change to an easier Gear, get back on, then wait for the NEXT Green light...

I just casually check other stuff on my Bike to make any casual spectators think I'm making an adjustment or something...:cool:
Yeah, downshifting is a good strategy (especially while you're still getting comfortable with clipless pedals), and training your brain to instinctively think of gears, feet, and traffic lights in one breath can take a little time.

It all becomes second nature after a short while, though. Just keep acting like you know what you're doing in public (making an adjustment -- LoL) until the whole operation is smooth.

:)

What pedals are you using, anyways? Not to get back on the Speedplay soapbox, but easy dual-sided entry flattens the learning curve considerably...