My first fixed ride [1]

Dave Larrington wrote:
> LSMike wrote:
>>> "The angle of the exit from the bankings is steeper than that of the
>>> entry so that a competitor is 'catapulted' along the straights - in
>>> effect, always downhill."

>> That sounds like bollox (TM). It's a loop, it can never be always
>> downhill.

> OTOH Manchester /feels/ like hard work going into the turns and easier as
> you exit them, while Newport doesn't. And I rode Manchester /before/ I read
> that catapult-o-thing.

Absolutely - I noticed the exact same thing. Hard pedalling in, easy
out, and having to ease off so as not to catch the guy in front on the
straights (even out of the bend where we weren't swapping positions)

Whatever - it was a great buzz - I'll be back there again soon.

p.s. for anyone wishing to try the track at Manchester they do taster
sessions a couple of times a week for only £8 for the hour, and this
includes a bike and some coaching. Bargain.

Dave Larrington wrote:
> LSMike wrote:
> >>
> >> "The angle of the exit from the bankings is steeper than that of the
> >> entry so that a competitor is 'catapulted' along the straights - in
> >> effect, always downhill."

> > That sounds like bollox (TM). It's a loop, it can never be always
> > downhill.

> OTOH Manchester /feels/ like hard work going into the turns and easier as
> you exit them, while Newport doesn't. And I rode Manchester /before/ I read
> that catapult-o-thing.

Ah, but that's different to "always downhill". ;)

Wheelist wrote:

> Yep. This AND the fact that Chris Boardman holds the hour record on this
> track.

Tosh, that's not the hour record.

LSMike wrote:
> Wheelist wrote:
>> Yep. This AND the fact that Chris Boardman holds the hour record on this
>> track.

> Tosh, that's not the hour record.

Yeah, you're right. Chris Boardman holds the UCI's best human effort
record on this track (for distance cycled in 1 hour)

:eek:P

Wheelist