my first flat...ever

Dexter1225

Jun 30, 2006
alrighty...so i'm planning on going for a real short ride (30 minutes) and .5 miles into it i get a flat and i noticed taking a turn. my wheel must have rolled over the tire a bit.

got back to my room, found the flat doing a little inflating with the tire on the rim. removed the rim. tried to roll the tire off and i'm having a h*ll-of-a-time getting it off. do you really need tire clamps or something to get it off?

also, is there a maximum size a hole can be where you shouldn't patch it? i'm sure the tube is punctured and i was planning on just using my patching kit to repair it (i really don't have money for new tubes not to mention tires)

guess i'm just a real noob at this

thanks guys,

dex

Hi Dexter,

Sorry to hear about your flat! That sucks. I had just bought my bike and I let my little brother give it a go around the block, and the rear tire popped before he even got ten feet from the house. Luckily I bought used so I was planning on taking it in for a tune-up anyway, so it wasn't that big of a deal, but changing a tire is a tough job if you've never done it before. I got a new set of tires, and it took me about an hour to get 'em on properly the first time I tried it. A couple of tries later though and I had it down.

There are a few indespensable resources I've found though when looking at how to replace tires.

First place I looked was at my LBS' website. Specifically, their pages on how to replace a flat, how to patch a tube, and how to inflate a tire. They get really specific, and pictures are included!

It DEFINITELY helps to have some tire levers handy. That tire is built to be stiff and stuck, so it's not going to move with ease. However, they're not absolutely necessary--it's just going to take more effort to get the tire off if you don't have any levers with you. I found a video on Google Video with just such a situation (one where no tire levers are available). It's here and here. The first one shows how to get the tire off, the second shows how to get the tire on.

There's also an excellent ViewDo tutorial on Google Video right here that shows the whole process from start to finish, including the patching.

Don't be afraid of the tires/tubes though! They're tough, built to resist hundreds of pounds of force, so don't be afraid to push and pull a little.

I'd say invest in a pair of levers though. Six bucks will get you a nice pair (at least, that's how much the steel-core ones I got cost at my LBS), and they really make the job much easier (unless you're Jim Langley, according to those videos!).

In answer to your other question, according to the website above, you probably shouldn't try patching a hole that's bigger than 1/4 of an inch. You can probably go a little bigger, but that's a safe guideline to go by--those patches are only so big, after all. A well-done patch is the strongest part of the tube once it's set, though, so do what you feel safe with.

Hope that helps! From one n00b to another :)

Good useful post volfro.....should help anyone who is apprehensive about repairing flats.

I don't want this to sound in anyway stupid but for any new comers to road riding (and off road aswell). It might be an idea to try taking out a tube, or just changing a tyre, in the comfort of your own home before you start heading out on the road. There is nothing worse, being some distance from home without a clue on how to change a tyre. I'll put money on it, it'll be the one time you decide that you don't need your mobile phone and it's probably raining.

For peace of mind, I bought a saddle bag, to carry a tube and tyre levers in. My pump is mounted on my bike. Obviously, more often than not, you don't need it however it's not something i'd leave home without.

Alias said:
I don't want this to sound in anyway stupid but for any new comers to road riding (and off road aswell). It might be an idea to try taking out a tube, or just changing a tyre, in the comfort of your own home before you start heading out on the road. There is nothing worse, being some distance from home without a clue on how to change a tyre. I'll put money on it, it'll be the one time you decide that you don't need your mobile phone and it's probably raining.

For peace of mind, I bought a saddle bag, to carry a tube and tyre levers in. My pump is mounted on my bike. Obviously, more often than not, you don't need it however it's not something i'd leave home without.
I totally agree, Alias. After I'd had my bike tuned, I bought new tires, and before I rode it I taught myself how to change the tire/tube in my room after studying the resources linked to above. The practice is very, very necessary, and I feel safer now that I know how to do it.

Spare tube and some levers in my bag as well. Along with a hand pump. :)

Dex,

I just got a road bike a month ago and have been putting on about 50 miles/week. Had my first flat Sunday, fortunately it was at the end of the ride. It was my first experience changing a flat too. Using tire levers it was quite easy to get the wheel off, then take tube out. The "how to" links provided earlier are good and would have served me well. The only few things I'd add 1) a little powder on the tube lets it slide easier during reassembly 2) my tire had no apparent damage and I could not find the tube hole until I put a little air in it and held it underwater 3) next time I have a rear flat I'll shift the chain to the smallest sprocket so its a little easier to remove the wheel/remember the gear.

Mike

I agree with everything stated above. The only thing would add is that before you replace the tube in the tire, run your fingers around the inside of the tire to make sure that there is not something sharp still poking through the tire. Sometimes a thorn or a small piece of glass stays embedded int he tire. As soon as you start riding on the new or patched tube, you will get another flat.

Tire levers, a tube, and an inflation device are necessities on any ride longer than one from which you could comfortably carry your bike home. If there is a cut in the tire, a dollar bill folded lengthwise and placed between the tube and tire makes an acceptable emergency tire dam.

RickF said:
I agree with everything stated above. The only thing would add is that before you replace the tube in the tire, run your fingers around the inside of the tire to make sure that there is not something sharp still poking through the tire. Sometimes a thorn or a small piece of glass stays embedded int he tire. As soon as you start riding on the new or patched tube, you will get another flat.

Tire levers, a tube, and an inflation device are necessities on any ride longer than one from which you could comfortably carry your bike home. If there is a cut in the tire, a dollar bill folded lengthwise and placed between the tube and tire makes an acceptable emergency tire dam.
thanks everyone for your help. i'm gonna run and get some levers and a patching kit today.