My first french bicycle - Component IDing help and maintenance

xxamr_corpxx

Mar 16, 2006
I've bought my first French made bike to do up. It's a Peugeot, 12 speed with index shifting and 700C clinchers, no model. Anyway, have some questions:

1. The rear brake cable goes INSIDE the top tube. How would I replace it if I took it out?

2. "Cherry" brand brake callipers - single pivot side pull. Any good? I've never heard of it.

xxamr_corpxx said:
I've bought my first French made bike to do up. It's a Peugeot, 12 speed with index shifting and 700C clinchers, no model. Anyway, have some questions:

1. The rear brake cable goes INSIDE the top tube. How would I replace it if I took it out?

2. "Cherry" brand brake callipers - single pivot side pull. Any good? I've never heard of it.
There's good info here:

http://sheldonbrown.com/velos.html

xxamr_corpxx said:

Internally routed housing/cables can either be replaced by taping the new housing to the old PRIOR to being pulled out of the frame ... OR, sometimes, the housing will feed through automatically ... OR, you can feed the housing through and catch it with a wire loop that you put in the second hole.
xxamr_corpxx said:
Not familiar with them ... if they look like copies of Campy brakes, then so much the better ... if they look like copies of something else, then they are probably "okay" for casual riding (sub-20mph) ... it's really the pads that do the stopping, so you could just change the FRONT pads if you think they have marginal stopping power.