My First High-speed UPD

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by James_Potter, Dec 21, 2005.

  1. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

    so I was out riding my coker, and I was going for a new high speed
    record, and I almost got it...but unfortunately, I got my first high
    speed UPD :) I was riding down the hill going as fast as I possibly
    could, and if I had stayed on I think I would have made it...but
    halfway down the hill I realized I was leaning way too far forward and
    the ground was coming closer, disturbingly fast. so I decided to jump
    and hope for the best. I tried to do that tuck and roll thing, and it
    kinda worked, I only have minor injuries. so I tucked my head and tried
    to roll on my shoulder, but I kinda landed more on my side...I hit my
    hip real hard and my hands kinda hard, so now there's two little holes
    in my hand and one HUGE scrape on my butt. I'd take a picture, because
    its a rather impressive wound, but, you know, its on my butt. I think
    theres one on my knee too though, I only just started feeling
    it...yeah, theres one there too, and it hurts, but its not very big.
    when I checked the cycle computer, my top speed was 18.8 miles per
    hour, and my fastest EVER was 19.2. SO CLOSE!! so in conclusion...that
    was fun.

    --
    James_Potter

    to give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

    michael atkinson
    mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
    President of the '_MRIS_' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)

  2. One more reason why my parents won't let me buy a Coker...*sigh*

    --
    unicyclerpunk

    Who shot the sherriff????.......habbywall did of course but now the
    question is Who shot the deputy? is he still alive?
    unicyclerpunk's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11009

  3. harper

    harper Guest

    James_Potter wrote:
    > I'd take a picture, because its a rather impressive wound, but, you
    > know, its on my butt.

    Hey. This is a unicycle related injury and a photo is entirely
    appropriate. Think of how much Catboy and Kristine would appreciate it.
    This is for unicycling Michael, do it.

    --
    harper

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    This is still my nth post....*AWESOME!!!*

  4. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

    |Filename: Picture 006.jpg |

    James_Potter

    to give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

    michael atkinson
    mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
    President of the '_MRIS_' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)

  5. GILD

    GILD Guest

    That was quick.
    Should make it to a T-shirt pretty soon.

    --
    GILD

    'three short gs and a long e-flatâ„¢'
    (http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/beethoven_sym5_1.wav) - 'map'
    (http://www.frappr.com/unicycleworld)
    _if_i'm_murdered,_don't_execute_my_killer._
    'harper' (http://tinyurl.com/c9epx)
    'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
    'Dave' (http://www.lyricsdir.com/d/deep-purple/child-in-time.php)

  6. musketman

    musketman Guest

  7. cathwood

    cathwood Guest

    Is it compulsory to UPD at high speed on your first or second ride of a
    coker? If so I might have to reconsider my future plans for buying
    one.

    Cathy

    --
    cathwood

    'Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its
    victims may be the most oppressive - C.S.Lewis

    http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

  8. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

    cathwood wrote:
    > Is it compulsory to UPD at high speed on your first or second ride of a
    > coker? If so I might have to reconsider my future plans for buying
    > one.
    > Cathy

    nope, I've had a coker for over a year and this is my first bad
    fall...seems like others weren't quite so lucky though q-:

    --
    James_Potter

    to give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

    michael atkinson
    mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
    President of the '_MRIS_' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)

  9. cathwood

    cathwood Guest

    James_Potter wrote:
    > nope, I've had a coker for over a year and this is my first bad
    > fall...seems like others weren't quite so lucky though q-:

    Thank goodness, cos I'm a big coward. I don't do pain.

    Cathy

    --
    cathwood

    'Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its
    victims may be the most oppressive - C.S.Lewis

    http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

  10. podzol

    podzol Guest

    cathwood wrote:
    > Is it compulsory to UPD at high speed on your first or second ride of a
    > coker? If so I might have to reconsider my future plans for buying
    > one.
    >
    > Cathy

    I haven't had a bad fall yet either and I ride a lot. I ride cautioslu
    and with head, knee and elbow pads.

    --
    podzol

    THE MISSING WHEELS TOUR DA YOOP!
    Check out the charity ride, planning is under way.
    Seeking riders and support.
    *http://missingwheels.unicyclist.com/ *
    podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

  11. Mikefule

    Mikefule Guest

    cathwood wrote:
    > Thank goodness, cos I'm a big coward. I don't do pain.

    I thought you had kids? That must hurt more than falling off a Coker.
    And Cokers don't stop out late and worry you, mix with the wrong crowd,
    and tap you for money every day.;)

    --
    Mikefule

    What you have can be taken away but what you have had cannot.

  12. harper

    harper Guest

    Hey. I actually had that happen to me. Not on a Coker, though. It was on
    (or off) my SH MUni.

    --
    harper

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    This is still my nth post....*AWESOME!!!*

  13. thieum

    thieum Guest

  14. Chrashing

    Chrashing Guest

    cathwood wrote:
    > Is it compulsory to UPD at high speed on your first or second ride of a
    > coker? If so I might have to reconsider my future plans for buying
    > one.
    >
    > Cathy

    Don't fear the Coker. I'd say (that at slow speeds) the Coker is safer
    than other unicycles. The weight of the wheel gives you more of feel of
    standing on a platform, giving you more time and security when stepping
    off. At rest the beast is more of a big lumbering donkey. Once moving
    it will transform into a sweet stallion for you.

    --
    Chrashing

    Regards,
    Ken
    Chrashing's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7501

  15. Zzagg

    Zzagg Guest

    Last evening I was cokering (well Qu-akering actually) back from
    christmas shopping when a tramway came from my rear left, as I was
    riding along the way. I had read your story about speed records
    attempts and suddenly I started "racing" against the tramway... I had a
    UPD but could run out of it and my uni was close from being crashed by
    the tramway rear wheels (NOT a good idea:( )
    I don't know MY speed limit but now I'm sure that if I want to ride
    very fast, I have to do it on another uni...
    (see a picture of it 'here'
    (http://unirene.smugmug.com/gallery/803362/5/35738152))
    When the speed gets too fast, the relative wind is to strong and tends
    to make me loose my balance...
    I'm quite used to it, except when the wind is too strong and coming
    from the front, because the smallest whobble makes the wheel "take" the
    wind, especially when going fast... But, you know, it's a small
    sacrifice for riding a Qu-aker for free (thanks to my "sponsor"! ;) :)
    )

    --
    Zzagg

    Zzagg - Air Circus Team (Nantes)

    Riding day, dream away...
    Still riding, still dreaming.

    please excuse me for still thinking I can write correct english :-o
    Zzagg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6847

  16. joshuni

    joshuni Guest

    well, it wasn't on a coker, but i had a hsupd. i was truckin' it
    through the forest on my 20" and all the sudden the ground fell down
    about 7 feet, so including the fall, i was probably going about 10-15
    when i finally reached terra-firma. i kinda blanked out (not passed
    out, just stopped thinking) untill i got up and looked at where i had
    just fallen from. i can't imagine hitting the ground at 20mph, i think
    that would probably be about like getting hit by an explorer or a yukon
    as it backed out of the driveway and didn't see you. so to everyone
    whose taken a 14+mph fall, you have my pity, my blessing, and my
    respect.
    just a thought that occurred, it seems as if the statistics of the
    first uni death are sliding more towards the cokers and geared folk and
    away from the trials/muni folk. i hope our sport remains fatality free
    though, i'll cry if someone posts that a uni got a confirmed kill.

    --
    joshuni

    president of the norml uni sect
    "canadaneesses (ka-nA-dan-E-cez) are cool, if you think otherwise then
    go sit on a trout and spin. when you reach the tail, the ride is
    over." -me 'cause FHM took a shot at the homies. (canada, please give
    me citizenship to your fine country)
    joshuni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11670