My First High-speed UPD

James_Potter

Guest
so I was out riding my coker, and I was going for a new high speed
record, and I almost got it...but unfortunately, I got my first high
speed UPD :) I was riding down the hill going as fast as I possibly
could, and if I had stayed on I think I would have made it...but
halfway down the hill I realized I was leaning way too far forward and
the ground was coming closer, disturbingly fast. so I decided to jump
and hope for the best. I tried to do that tuck and roll thing, and it
kinda worked, I only have minor injuries. so I tucked my head and tried
to roll on my shoulder, but I kinda landed more on my side...I hit my
hip real hard and my hands kinda hard, so now there's two little holes
in my hand and one HUGE scrape on my butt. I'd take a picture, because
its a rather impressive wound, but, you know, its on my butt. I think
theres one on my knee too though, I only just started feeling
it...yeah, theres one there too, and it hurts, but its not very big.
when I checked the cycle computer, my top speed was 18.8 miles per
hour, and my fastest EVER was 19.2. SO CLOSE!! so in conclusion...that
was fun.

--
James_Potter

to give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

michael atkinson
mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
President of the '_MRIS_' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)

James_Potter wrote:
> I'd take a picture, because its a rather impressive wound, but, you
> know, its on my butt.

Hey. This is a unicycle related injury and a photo is entirely
appropriate. Think of how much Catboy and Kristine would appreciate it.
This is for unicycling Michael, do it.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

This is still my nth post....*AWESOME!!!*

|Filename: Picture 006.jpg |

James_Potter

to give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

michael atkinson
mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
President of the '_MRIS_' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)

That was quick.
Should make it to a T-shirt pretty soon.

--
GILD

'three short gs and a long e-flat™'
(http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/beethoven_sym5_1.wav) - 'map'
(http://www.frappr.com/unicycleworld)
_if_i'm_murdered,_don't_execute_my_killer._
'harper' (http://tinyurl.com/c9epx)
'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
'Dave' (http://www.lyricsdir.com/d/deep-purple/child-in-time.php)

Is it compulsory to UPD at high speed on your first or second ride of a
coker? If so I might have to reconsider my future plans for buying
one.

Cathy

--
cathwood

'Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its
victims may be the most oppressive - C.S.Lewis

http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

cathwood wrote:
> Is it compulsory to UPD at high speed on your first or second ride of a
> coker? If so I might have to reconsider my future plans for buying
> one.
> Cathy

nope, I've had a coker for over a year and this is my first bad
fall...seems like others weren't quite so lucky though q-:

--

James_Potter wrote:
> nope, I've had a coker for over a year and this is my first bad
> fall...seems like others weren't quite so lucky though q-:

Thank goodness, cos I'm a big coward. I don't do pain.

Cathy

--

cathwood wrote:
> Is it compulsory to UPD at high speed on your first or second ride of a
> coker? If so I might have to reconsider my future plans for buying
> one.
>
> Cathy

I haven't had a bad fall yet either and I ride a lot. I ride cautioslu
and with head, knee and elbow pads.

--
podzol

THE MISSING WHEELS TOUR DA YOOP!
Check out the charity ride, planning is under way.
Seeking riders and support.
*http://missingwheels.unicyclist.com/ *
podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

cathwood wrote:
> Thank goodness, cos I'm a big coward. I don't do pain.

I thought you had kids? That must hurt more than falling off a Coker.
And Cokers don't stop out late and worry you, mix with the wrong crowd,
and tap you for money every day.;)

--
Mikefule

What you have can be taken away but what you have had cannot.

cathwood wrote:
> Is it compulsory to UPD at high speed on your first or second ride of a
> coker? If so I might have to reconsider my future plans for buying
> one.
>
> Cathy

Don't fear the Coker. I'd say (that at slow speeds) the Coker is safer
than other unicycles. The weight of the wheel gives you more of feel of
standing on a platform, giving you more time and security when stepping
off. At rest the beast is more of a big lumbering donkey. Once moving
it will transform into a sweet stallion for you.

--
Chrashing

Regards,
Ken
Chrashing's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7501

Last evening I was cokering (well Qu-akering actually) back from
christmas shopping when a tramway came from my rear left, as I was
riding along the way. I had read your story about speed records
attempts and suddenly I started "racing" against the tramway... I had a
UPD but could run out of it and my uni was close from being crashed by
the tramway rear wheels (NOT a good idea:( )
I don't know MY speed limit but now I'm sure that if I want to ride
very fast, I have to do it on another uni...
(see a picture of it 'here'
(http://unirene.smugmug.com/gallery/803362/5/35738152))
When the speed gets too fast, the relative wind is to strong and tends
to make me loose my balance...
I'm quite used to it, except when the wind is too strong and coming
from the front, because the smallest whobble makes the wheel "take" the
wind, especially when going fast... But, you know, it's a small
sacrifice for riding a Qu-aker for free (thanks to my "sponsor"! ;) :)
)

--
Zzagg

Zzagg - Air Circus Team (Nantes)

Riding day, dream away...
Still riding, still dreaming.

please excuse me for still thinking I can write correct english :-o
Zzagg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6847

well, it wasn't on a coker, but i had a hsupd. i was truckin' it
through the forest on my 20" and all the sudden the ground fell down
about 7 feet, so including the fall, i was probably going about 10-15
when i finally reached terra-firma. i kinda blanked out (not passed
out, just stopped thinking) untill i got up and looked at where i had
just fallen from. i can't imagine hitting the ground at 20mph, i think
that would probably be about like getting hit by an explorer or a yukon
as it backed out of the driveway and didn't see you. so to everyone
whose taken a 14+mph fall, you have my pity, my blessing, and my
respect.
just a thought that occurred, it seems as if the statistics of the
first uni death are sliding more towards the cokers and geared folk and
away from the trials/muni folk. i hope our sport remains fatality free
though, i'll cry if someone posts that a uni got a confirmed kill.

--
joshuni

president of the norml uni sect
"canadaneesses (ka-nA-dan-E-cez) are cool, if you think otherwise then
go sit on a trout and spin. when you reach the tail, the ride is
over." -me 'cause FHM took a shot at the homies. (canada, please give
me citizenship to your fine country)
joshuni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11670