My First Hostile Driver....

Edudbor

Aug 19, 2007
I was about 10 miles into my 11.5 mile ride home when I was passed by an old, run down, green, Honda Civic. As the car passed the guy in the driver's side yelled something in my general direction. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it was 'Hey Dumbass'. Whatever it was, I'm certain it wasn't friendly. I responded as best I could, I flipped them off....

It was just bad timing, or luck, depending on how you look at it - but they got caught up at the next red light. I figured it was probably not the best idea in the world, but I decided to sprint up, knowing I could catch them before the light turned green. I wasn't going to 'do' anything, except possibly smile and wave or something.
It must have been pretty clear to them that I was trying to catch up because, as I closed the distance, they turned right into a shopping mall parking lot. Since it was the same direction I had to go anyway, and because I was feeling a bit like a jerk; I decided to follow. On a street, I can't keep pace with a car, but in a parking lot it was a pretty even match. I was maybe 10 feet behind them, but they continued into a Bank's drive through, they went the long way around the building but didn't stop. I cut in front of the building figuring I could beat them to the exit.

Basically, they were forced, after coming out of the bank to stop at a stop sign and make a left. I stopped at the sign at the same time they did. I was expecting 3-4 high school guys or something, ya know, typical, harmless (but retarded) kids being kids. But nope! It was a fat lady driving, the guy who yelled was in the passanger seat, he looked to be about 30; I couldn't get a feel for his height since he was in the car, but I did see his arms and he was built like a little girl. Speaking of little girls, they had TWO little girls, probably 5-6 in the backseat. The guy looked like he was going to **** himself; the lady look really embarrassed.

I gestured the 'roll down the window' gesture; and said (friendly like), 'I'm sorry - did you say something?'. The guy stammered on his words for a few seconds and replied, 'Umm, I thought you were someone else...sorry'.

I thought it was an interesting story. Not much of an ending as I just rode off, and they just drove off; but I still wanted to share.

Man, my mate done the same thing about 2 years ago to a cyclist. At the red lights when the cyclist got of the bike, my friend rolled down his window to be greeted by a bunch of fives right in the smacker.

I feel it's best to let that stuff go. If the dude in the car slams on his brakes & comes at you in reverse it may not work out so well for ya'.

A friend of mine got in it on his motorcycle with a dude in a pick-up truck. The truck turned off & a few minutes later my friend was rammed at high-speen from behind & revived on the helicopter on his way to the Trauma Center. The Pick-up truck dude left the scene & if it wasn't for another motorist getting his plate he would never have been caught.

Turns out the guy in the Pick-up has no insurance/house/job so other than attempted homicide for the jerk my friend won't see a penny.

Besides, the moron motorist may take things further with the next rider & that might be you or me & we may not see in coming.

I just wave like I think they are saying hello. They really hate that, It makes me
feel better and it's non confrontational.

Congratulations! You can expect to come across more hostile drivers the more time you spend riding your bike. So it's a good idea to get used to dealing with them, and crapping them out when they're not observing road rules. Drivers are notorious for not observing the road rules, and think that just because they're behind the wheel of a SUV that they're invisible.

Sorry to hear you went through that, though it seems like you weren't shaken by it and you definitely had more courage than I would have had in the same situation! It's awful to think there are people who think it's perfectly acceptable to shout out of a car window at someone they've never met. They don't know the other person, it could be a really vulnerable person - perhaps someone with a mental disability like serious anxiety problems - who takes it really personally. I know when I was a teenager and my friends were first starting to drive, some of them joked about shouting out of the window and I thought it was juvenile, even back then. I remember a story on the news a while ago too, of an elderly woman who had a heart attack and died after some people shouted things at her from a car.

That the man had two young children in the car makes the whole thing even more pathetic!

Heh, welcome to the club, have a seat. You have just got baptized for traffic's convivence. The first idiot is always the most unforgettable :D.

What a nice story that is well crafted. I felt like reading a suspense action thriller with the spy running after the suspects. And it turned out that the suspects are not worthy of being chased. But seriously, I think that is the best action you can do - politely asking them what they said to you. At least that would be a neat lesson for them. And for you? There was no trouble at all and you can charge it to experience. At least you have proven to yourself that you are not a violent person.

Yes, I just realized that people in the country are ********. You have to suck it up and continue to flick them off. That guy do not pay your bills. That guy is not important. Take care of your business. You get back on that bike.

I never had a problem with traffic while I rode my bike, I always respect traffic because people don't want to be held up in anyway by anything while they are driving. I feel the same way, while I'm riding my bike, I don't want drivers to think they can treat me any kind of way.

I have had a horn blown at me, and the one encounter that I had, I actually did nothing wrong but the driver insisted that I get out of the way. I started quoting statues and he drove away after I told him that if he wanted to question my legal knowledge, I'll just call the local authorities and they can help you out.

Funny how people act when you give proof that the law will state that they are wrong when introduced.