my first MTB race - sorta ....

Bleve

Guest
Jamie Goddard & I trundled out to the Fat Tyre Flyers club champs
today, intending to do our first MTB races. Jamie's an Eastern combine
A grade road rider and a trackie, and I'm a gumby B grader.

long story short, I broke a spoke during the recce lap, which was just
as well, I'd have been a menace on the course! Jamie did well until
his brand new Avanti's bars came loose!

I took my camera, just in case, and in that case ...

Photos here :

http://www.aboc.com.au/images/galleries/20060910-ftf-club-champs/

Looks like much better weather than we had for the 2 12hr races this
weekend - occasional showers yesterday for the "fun" event and
torrential rain (almost an inch in a few hours) for the Championship
event which ended up being called off early.

Parbs wrote:
> Looks like much better weather than we had for the 2 12hr races this
> weekend - occasional showers yesterday for the "fun" event and
> torrential rain (almost an inch in a few hours) for the Championship
> event which ended up being called off early.

I'm glad I passed up on that empty spot in a friend's team ...

I melt in the rain ...

:p

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 11:30:01 +0000, Parbs wrote:

> Looks like much better weather than we had for the 2 12hr races this
> weekend - occasional showers yesterday for the "fun" event

Why is that in inverted commas. I had fun. You had fun. The other monkeys
had fun. It was a tops day out, and a fine day to ride a bike without
gears.

Especially if it had two chains and you were wearing sheepskin overshoes.
Who was that idiot?

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
A man might spend his life peering at the private life of elementary

Dave Hughes said:
Why is that in inverted commas. I had fun. You had fun. The other monkeys
had fun. It was a tops day out, and a fine day to ride a bike without
gears.

Yes we did, but there were a few people taking their fun far too seriously

Dave Hughes said:
Especially if it had two chains and you were wearing sheepskin overshoes.
Who was that idiot?

I don't know, he didn't show up in my photos.

Parbs

In article <[email protected]>,
Parbs <[email protected]> wrote:

> Looks like much better weather than we had for the 2 12hr races this
> weekend - occasional showers yesterday for the "fun" event and
> torrential rain (almost an inch in a few hours) for the Championship
> event which ended up being called off early.

Was that in Sydney? I noticed two cars carrying very muddy MTBs late in
the afternoon on Anzac Br.
--

Nice shots. It's always good to be able to check out the photos when you get home.

I was certainly relieved to get there and find the track was nice and dry. Not so relieved to discover I had left my slicks behind and was riding home into a rather nasty headwind on knobbies.

What did you think of the track? I have to say I am more of a fan of whittlesea (which it seems is no more), but it did have it's fun sections. The flowing downhill walking trail with steps comes to mind... :D.

Oh and on a final note, look at me, I'm getting passed on the inside: http://www.aboc.com.au/images/galleries/20060910-ftf-club-champs/DSCF8133.JPG

At least I got him in the end. You wouldn't be able to send me higher res versions of a few of the photos would you?

SomeGuy wrote:
> Nice shots. It's always good to be able to check out the photos when you
> get home.
>
> I was certainly relieved to get there and find the track was nice and
> dry. Not so relieved to discover I had left my slicks behind and was
> riding home into a rather nasty headwind on knobbies.
>
> What did you think of the track? I have to say I am more of a fan of
> whittlesea (which it seems is no more), but it did have it's fun
> sections. The flowing downhill walking trail with steps comes to
> mind... :D.

For me, it was -way- too difficult, but, I've done buggerall MTB'ing,
and in a way was glad I had a mechanical, I'd have just been an
obsticle for everyone else while I walked the damn thing!

> Oh and on a final note, look at me, I'm getting passed on the inside:
> http://tinyurl.com/g3f7u
>
> At least I got him in the end. You wouldn't be able to send me higher
> res versions of a few of the photos would you?

My contact details are on the website where the photos are, send me an
email.