My first race experience!

tehpr3chr

Jul 29, 2004
Raced in Greenville, SC this past weekend, in the Greenville Cycling Classic. Was definitely the hardest I've ever ridden in my life! Placed 11th on Sunday, out of 50-60 riders. I was very happy with my performance considering it was my first race "weekend" ever. One thing I was curious about though. When I finished racing, I was breathing very hard...extremely hard. A team mate of mine(I was asked to join a CAT 4 team next year) asked me if I could taste blood, and if I could, that was normal. Does anyone know the technical explanation for this? From my understanding your lungs expand against your rib cage so much that it causes the little sacs inside to burst or something, but that it makes your lungs stronger the more you train, and obviously recover. Anyways, I had tons of fun, and can't wait until next season!!!

tehpr3chr said:
Does anyone know the technical explanation for this? From my understanding your lungs expand against your rib cage so much that it causes the little sacs inside to burst or something, but that it makes your lungs stronger the more you train, and obviously recover. Anyways, I had tons of fun, and can't wait until next season!!!
I'm pretty sure that's not right. I'm not a doctor, and I don't have anything beyond a few collegiate bio courses, but I do know that as you breathe, the little sacs (alveoli) aren't under pressure from your ribs. In fact, I don't think your lungs expand like that - I believe the the intake of air comes from the diaphragm increasing their volume by pulling them from the bottom.

I'm pretty sure the blood taste is from the back of your throat becoming dry and raw because of the amount and dryness of the air rushing past it. The same thing can happen when you get a bad cough.

I definately know that back-of-the-mouth blood taste, though. For me, usually a sign of a good race.

cosmo_the_third said:
I'm pretty sure that's not right. I'm not a doctor, and I don't have anything beyond a few collegiate bio courses, but I do know that as you breathe, the little sacs (alveoli) aren't under pressure from your ribs. In fact, I don't think your lungs expand like that - I believe the the intake of air comes from the diaphragm increasing their volume by pulling them from the bottom.

I'm pretty sure the blood taste is from the back of your throat becoming dry and raw because of the amount and dryness of the air rushing past it. The same thing can happen when you get a bad cough.

I definately know that back-of-the-mouth blood taste, though. For me, usually a sign of a good race.
okay..well that works too, lol...why i asked, cause i don't know...i did manage to take in some water during the race, but i do know my throat was really dry when i finished, and i was breathing very very hard...

cosmo_the_third said:

I had something like this happen earlier this year after my first double century. The top of the back of my mouth was just raw. For a few days it was tough to eat or drink anything hot, and it felt like my sinuses were on fire.

tehpr3chr said:
Raced in Greenville, SC this past weekend, in the Greenville Cycling Classic. Was definitely the hardest I've ever ridden in my life! Placed 11th on Sunday, out of 50-60 riders. I was very happy with my performance considering it was my first race "weekend" ever.
My first ever road race resulted in me coming off in a bunch and getting 6 stitches in the arm. I finished the race though by myself (but not last!) and in much pain. More importantly though, I saved the bike from any harm!!!:D

tehpr3chr said:
One thing I was curious about though. When I finished racing, I was breathing very hard...extremely hard. A team mate of mine(I was asked to join a CAT 4 team next year) asked me if I could taste blood, and if I could, that was normal. Does anyone know the technical explanation for this? From my understanding your lungs expand against your rib cage so much that it causes the little sacs inside to burst or something, but that it makes your lungs stronger the more you train, and obviously recover. Anyways, I had tons of fun, and can't wait until next season!!!
Breathing hard is normal and i have also had the blood taste - but i used to get this more in my running/athletics days than on the bike. i think it's more from the throat than the lungs though.