my first roadbike, gear issue

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by littlebiker, Sep 29, 2005.

1. littlebiker

littlebiker New Member

Hi Pals,

I have bought my first roadbike for about $300. I have attached the picture of the bike. It will arrive in a few days. Unfortunately, there aren't many bike companies in India and $300 is termed as 'quite expensive' for a bike here. Having said that I told by the manufacturer that only the next model which cost $500 has gear control on the handlebar. The bike which I bought doesn't have it on the handle bar. It's on the frame. i think it's noticable in the picture.

Have you guys know of bikes that don't have the gear control on the handle bar? I am not a pro and am not going to be really 'racing'. Is it too bad not to have a gear control on the handle bar?

This might be a silly question, so please don't mind ;)

thank you!

cheers,
    Shalin

Tags:

2. Ronanmk

Ronanmk New Member

Your bike should be alright. It might help you to know that even Tour de France racers were using frame-mounted shifters only 15 years ago.

Its no big deal. Enjoy your ride and don't worry about that stuff.

3. littlebiker

littlebiker New Member

I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing that piece of information. Gives me a lot of confidence.

1. Another question, how important is the pedal strap which locks your shoes.

2. Also, I have a tennis shoe, jogger and a walking shoe. I don't intend to buy a new 'cycling' shoe. However, would like to know which one is recommended. (I actually try both the jogging and walking shoe and see for myself which one is better. Since you guys might know it better here, thought would ask as well.)

4. fatboy61

fatboy61 New Member

That looks like a nice rig for a first bike. Just get out there and ride that puppy!! A few years ago my only bike was a 2nd hand Shogun I bought for A$65. It had a rear derailleur that I found at a local rubbish dump! I rode it to work and home for 18 months before I got something better.
    The shoe with the stiffest sole is probably your best choice for riding, btw.

5. Hookyrider

Hookyrider New Member

I concur, for a first bike it looks like a fine ride. Shifting "on-the-bars" (STI) is a nice to have, and is handy for racing. The old tried and true downtube shifters are light weight, very reliable, and cheap to replace if you do manage to break one some how. You will learn your gears better and faster, and you will learn to anticipate shifts better as well.

ride on brother

H

6. littlebiker

littlebiker New Member

Thank you very much guys. This forum is very very encouraging. I can't wait to start riding on this bike. another 5 days! patience!! ;)

thank you again!

cheers,
    Shalin

7. meehs

meehs New Member

Your future bike is equipped with downtube shifters, which were what every high end road racing bike used before the integrated shift/brake levers were introduced. They work just fine and are in some ways better than the integrated shift/brake levers. Maybe they're not as "convenient" but they work just fine.

8. littlebiker

littlebiker New Member

Thanks Meehs, I would like to read up some technical comparisons of these 2 diff type of gearing system. I guess they really don't compete but if you guys know any good article read up that can tell me more this, please do share the link.

9. fatboy61

fatboy61 New Member

meehs that is one butt-ugly dog! :D

10. meehs

meehs New Member

LOL! I get mixed feedback on him. That's my boy Max. He's really quite a handsome fellow in my opinion. One other forum member thinks he's so ugly that I should change my avatar!

11. fatboy61

fatboy61 New Member

I'm sure he'll look just fine when the skin-grafts heal up!! :p