My first running injury!

M

Miss-G-

Is a big sore on the side of my hip which looks revolting and is from my MP3 player accidentally
being clipped onto my udnerwear as well as waistband! In other news I have moved from 3kms to 6kms
and the distances I run are now longer than the distances I walk. In the first week I could only run
for four lamp-posts at a time! I'm at the end of my first month and I feel fantastic, and grateful
to the helpful people on this group, the stitch problems are gone. Even the crazy trolls for making
me laugh. I'm very much looking forward to going faster and further.

Miss-G-

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 04:31:00 GMT, "Miss-G-"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm very much looking forward to going faster and further.

Hmm. Menstrual cycle over, Miss G returns to her former chatty and cheery self. Were I
'serp', I think my wrists would require heavy bandaging every twenty-eight days. Anyway, nice
to have you back.

As to the 'faster and further' - you make it sound rather like Buz Lightyear's 'to infinity and
beyond' - I'd take it a mite slower, were I you, and aim to settle at 5k runs in around 25 minutes,
assuming of course, that you've dialled the Wonderbra into bounce-control mode. Believe me, nothing
- absolutely NOTHING - is as gross as a girl running without a decent running bra.

You think you get rain in Aussie land? Hell, I was running on a fine sunny day here last summer

www.360gradi.it/pagina%20porto%20cervo.htm

when the heavens opened. 'Twas like being thrown into a bath. I refuse to run in the rain, so I
stopped, pouted, stamped my feet a little, and turned round to walk the 4klms back to our apartment
in a filthy mood. Small trees were actually being washed from the hillside onto the road, the
thunder and lightning was scaring me shitless, and grit was being washed into my running shoes as I
waded through the floods. I considered crying, but felt it would wrinkle my perfect skin. Yunno how
*****y that gets.

However, I could cope with all that. Do you know why? No? Well I'll tell you. It's because I
DON'T EAT MEAT. And, as a runner, nor should you. So, as you embark on your Masters, think fluffy
little thoughts, ditch the meat, drag 'serp' to a veggie restaurant, and get happy. You *know* it
makes sense

henry b morgenstern wrote:

> However, I could cope with all that. Do you know why? No? Well I'll tell you. It's because I DON'T
> EAT MEAT.

I'll let Willie ****** and company enjoy the play on words but in the mean time, please pass the
ketchup for my rare steak. Is your passing on meat a health issue or some animal rights windmill?

I get a viscous craving for greasy meat after a race. If I can get a hot dog or burger during, I'm a
very happy person.

Eat balanced and be balanced. Eat unbalanced and well, read Roger and see the direct
repercussions. :)

Is there some significance to "henry b morgenstern"

--
Doug Freese "Caveat Lector" [email protected]

Why Roger my old soup-spoon, good to see you're skulking about again. Find time between kart races
did we? What is all this about an absence of meat helping one cope?Which vegetables do you consider
uplifting then? Why the new moniker, did it come with a white lab coat?

Surf McBrows(enstern)

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 09:09:46 -0600, "Surf McBrowse" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Why Roger my old soup-spoon, good to see you're skulking about again. Find time between kart races
>did we? What is all this about an absence of meat helping one cope?Which vegetables do you consider
>uplifting then? Why the new moniker, did it come with a white lab coat?

So many questions! To answer in reverse order;

No, my little surf-splashed one, it came with 'Free Agent', when even a computer illiterate such as
I noticed that your could change your profile on a whim. As I have many whims, this seemed like fun.

'Good' veggies include carrots, peas, broccoli, parsnips and green beans. 'Bad' veggies include
aubergines, cabbage, and turnips.

Meat blocks up your twisty bits - intestines to the medically-trained
- thus cannot be good for you, as your twisty bits are not meant to be blocked. I suppose one could
resort to an daily enema, but that seems rather deviant. Better simply to avoid the stuff
altogether.

Karting? Ah, now I am me. Before I was many (five, to be precise). My troll-buddies are off doing
*really* naughty things while I lounge around on rec.running. The only similarity betwixt 'Roger
Hunter' and my good self is my huge ego and my ability to run the socks off most of you, excluding
the person behind 'Surf McBrowse, of course...

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 14:07:36 GMT, Doug Freese <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I'll let Willie ****** and company enjoy the play on words

No double-entendre was intended, though I see your point... Hell, am I doing it again?

>Is your passing on meat a health issue or some animal rights windmill?

Bit of both. Hate the idea of things being cooped up just to be slaughtered.

>I get a viscous craving for greasy meat after a race. If I can get a hot dog or burger during, I'm
>a very happy person. Eat balanced and be balanced. Eat unbalanced and well, read Roger and see the
>direct repercussions. :)

Douglas, you lack any sort of balance in your life. I, OTOH, am so finely balanced that the world
floats around me in perfect symmetry. I attribute this to my astounding good looks, my love of
beauty (myself included), my uncanny ability to knock out six-minute miles at will, and NOT
EATING MEAT.

>>Is there some significance to "henry b morgenstern"

Absolutely none.

The Golden Path wrote:

> Douglas, you lack any sort of balance in your life.

You're not the first to astutely conclude this.

> I, OTOH, am so finely balanced that the world floats around me in perfect symmetry. I attribute
> this to my astounding good looks, my love of beauty (myself included), my uncanny ability to knock
> out six-minute miles at will, and NOT EATING MEAT.

Please, a web page with a picture so I/we can print off many copies and hang one in every room for
inspiration. To deny us the ability to praise and worship is terrible abuse.

--
Doug Freese "Caveat Lector" [email protected]

> 'Good' veggies include carrots, peas, broccoli, parsnips and green beans. 'Bad' veggies include
> aubergines, cabbage, and turnips.

Don't forget red and green peppers. Asparagus is good, with butter. Cabbage soup with simmered in
potato vodka, good hearty fare (pphhhffftttt!)

> Meat blocks up your twisty bits - intestines to the medically-trained
> - thus cannot be good for you, as your twisty bits are not meant to be blocked. I suppose one
> could resort to an daily enema, but that seems rather deviant. Better simply to avoid the stuff
> altogether.

True enough. I resort to popping green pills full of green tea, some sort of Hawaiian algae, seaweed
and bee vomit lest I be permanently bunged up. BTW it's prime-rib this weekend at the McBrowse
family get together.

> Karting? Ah, now I am me. Before I was many (five, to be precise). My troll-buddies are off doing
> *really* naughty things while I lounge around on rec.running. The only similarity betwixt 'Roger
> Hunter' and my good self is my huge ego and my ability to run the socks off most of you, excluding
> the person behind 'Surf McBrowse, of course...

Somewhat disappointing. I rather liked to entertain the ideas that Roger did indeed live near the
Firth of Forth, ogle young Polish lassies working in the fields, endure the contemptuous mood swings
on his young breathen whilst trying his mettle on snowboard, and enjoyed a comfortable semi-
retirement after working for the good of the public health.

Oh well, your 20% will have to do. I do hope you will be every bit as much the suave silver tongued
menace as the fictional Roger you once penned for the Legion of Doom et al. Why not start a new but
similar character? How about Jean-Louis Vignes a young wealthy runner/philanthropist/voyeur, or
Simon Frothingham a disowned member of the Royal Family ....

Surf

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 17:48:51 GMT, Doug Freese <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Please, a web page with a picture so I/we can print off many copies and hang one in every room for
>inspiration. To deny us the ability to praise and worship is terrible abuse.

It is, and, to this end, I may try and build a web page for you to visit. I have some free time
coming up in the next month - a snowboarding holiday has fallen through - so I'm at a bit of a loose
end. One can only do so much running and swimming in one day

Know of any free website-building software that I may access? Remember, it has to be computer-idiot-
useable yet capable of producing a site that reflects my radiant charm and winning personality.

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 12:41:15 -0600, "Surf McBrowse" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Somewhat disappointing. I rather liked to entertain the ideas that Roger did indeed live near the
>Firth of Forth, ogle young Polish lassies working in the fields, endure the contemptuous mood
>swings on his young breathen whilst trying his mettle on snowboard, and enjoyed a comfortable semi-
>retirement after working for the good of the public health.

Yeah, he was an interesting guy, wasn't he? We all came to quite like him in the end. Thing was, we
came to like him a bit too much, and became somewhat melancholy when we realised we'd created the
perfect Usenet character that, unfortunately, wasn't real.

Regrettably, for reasons that must remain, to you, unclear, I am unable to advise which parts of
'Roger' were real and which were fabricated.

I like to think that somewhere a complete person like 'Roger' does exist. Maybe a little bit of him
does, in all of us. He was a good man.

>Oh well, your 20% will have to do. I do hope you will be every bit as much the suave silver tongued
>menace as the fictional Roger you once penned for the Legion of Doom et al. Why not start a new but
>similar character? How about Jean-Louis Vignes a young wealthy runner/philanthropist/voyeur, or
>Simon Frothingham a disowned member of the Royal Family ....

Oooh, I think I should leave that world firmly in the past, don't you? Were I to spend my life
creating fictional characters for your delectation I would think my life poorly spent. Nope, you'll
have to be satisfied with me. Besides, being the 'voice' of Roger means that my style of delivery
stays the same, though the stories may change.

Think of it as falling in love with a beautiful hooker who promises to

your wedding night that she's actually a penniless, chaste, maiden who

have to find it, that's all.

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 18:03:00 +0000, The Golden Path
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Know of any free website-building software that I may access? Remember, it has to be computer-idiot-
>useable yet capable of producing a site that reflects my radiant charm and winning personality.

Notepad. If you can type and spell, then it's idiot-proof.

Karen

joe positive <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 18:03:00 +0000, The Golden Path <[email protected]> wrote:

>>Know of any free website-building software that I may access? Remember, it has to be computer-idiot-
>>useable yet capable of producing a site that reflects my radiant charm and winning personality.

> Notepad. If you can type and spell, then it's idiot-proof.

> Karen

yes, but he would need to know HTML at the least. maybe javascript or java if he wants jingling
bells and animated weasels, i mean hamsters...

jobs

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 19:02:55 GMT, joe positive <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Notepad. If you can type and spell, then it's idiot-proof.

Karen, I think you're crediting me with more intelligence that I actually posses.

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 20:53:24 +0000 (UTC),
[email protected] wrote:

>yes, but he would need to know HTML at the least. maybe javascript or java if he wants jingling
>bells and animated weasels, i mean hamsters...

You're right. I guess I meant "if you can type and spell and actually code in the language you're
trying to code in, then it's idiot-proof."
:)

Karen

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 20:53:24 +0000 (UTC),
[email protected] wrote:

>yes, but he would need to know HTML at the least. maybe javascript or java

Jesus! Even the words sound scary.

joe positive <[email protected]> wrote: ...
> You're right. I guess I meant "if you can type and spell and actually code in the language you're
> trying to code in, then it's idiot-proof."
> :)

> Karen

i guess he's probably looking for something simpler which won't require him to use all those <html>
tags. maybe something like FrontPage(?) or Netscape Composer...

but if all he needs is a page with a few lines of text and some pictures, Notepad and HTML are
probably the easiest.

regards jobs

Achtung! Spitfire! <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 20:53:24 +0000 (UTC), [email protected] wrote:
>>yes, but he would need to know HTML at the least. maybe javascript or java

> Jesus! Even the words sound scary.

such is life. however, to use one of my quotes: "never judge a program by its GUI."

(GUI = graphical user interface)

one step at a time, one tag a day.. will get you there... think of it as running.. imagine yourself
as a newbie...

you have just started running. then one day, you meet a veteran who's been running for ages.. he
tells you about fartleks, intervals, and motion-control. you think those words sound scary and
decide not to pursue running anymore.

consequently, the shoe/coolmax/watch/gel industry suffers a bit of lost revenue. now imagine if
there were a few million of like-minded folks who were scared off. this would then result in the
industry losing more and more and more ... until one day, they stop making gels. this would lead to
even more runners giving up running. then they come for the coolmax. then the watch. then the shoe..
yet more runners give are forced to give up running...

until one day there are no more runners. except for barefoot runners.

imagine.....

good luck and may the force be with you. jobs

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 22:13:38 +0000 (UTC),
[email protected] wrote:

>one step at a time, one tag a day.. will get you there... think of it as running.. imagine yourself
>as a newbie...
>
>you have just started running. then one day, you meet a veteran who's been running for ages.. he
>tells you about fartleks, intervals, and motion-control. you think those words sound scary and
>decide not to pursue running anymore.
>
>consequently, the shoe/coolmax/watch/gel industry suffers a bit of lost revenue. now imagine if
>there were a few million of like-minded folks who were scared off. this would then result in the
>industry losing more and more and more ... until one day, they stop making gels. this would lead to
>even more runners giving up running. then they come for the coolmax. then the watch. then the
>shoe.. yet more runners give are forced to give up running...
>
>until one day there are no more runners. except for barefoot runners.
>
>imagine.....
>
>
>good luck and may the force be with you.

jobs, this is beautiful. You should write ad copy. Or anti-ad copy.

Really - no sarcasm intended - this rocks. Thanks.

Karen

You're a jogger. I'm sure your hips were revolting to start with.

[email protected] wrote:

>
> you have just started running. then one day, you meet a veteran who's been running for ages.. he
> tells you about fartleks, intervals, and motion-control. you think those words sound scary and
> decide not to pursue running anymore.
>

or you could decide to find out what the heck these things are and stumble across r.r. :)

Dot what a fateful day (true story)

--
"Success is different things to different people" -Bernd Heinrich in Racing the Antelope