My first SPD related fall

saveacup

Guest
I've been using SPDs for a few months now and thought I had them worked out
but today I had my first falling over incident, just in time for Christmas.

It happened right outside my back gate after a 20 mile ride along the old
Scarborough-Whitby railway line, unclipped left foot on the approach but
then just couldnt get the right foot unclipped, wobbled for a few seconds
and then went from vertical to horizontal in one smooth motion. No harm done
BTW.

There were no witnesses though, so does this count?

--
Russell

>There were no witnesses though, so does this count?

It does now ;-)

Glad you didn't hurt anything!

Cheers, helen s

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

saveacup composed the following ...
> I've been using SPDs for a few months now and thought I had them worked
> out but today I had my first falling over incident, just in time for
> Christmas.

<twilight zone music> My first spd 'moment' happened this time a few years
ago .. </twilight zone music>

> It happened right outside my back gate after a 20 mile ride along the old
> Scarborough-Whitby railway line, unclipped left foot on the approach but
> then just couldnt get the right foot unclipped, wobbled for a few seconds
> and then went from vertical to horizontal in one smooth motion. No harm
> done BTW.

Heheheh, sorry for laughing, but, you know ... ;)

> There were no witnesses though, so does this count?

It does now. Glad you weren't hurt.

--
Paul ...
http://www.4x4prejudice.org/index.php

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 15:24:32 -0000, "saveacup" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I've been using SPDs for a few months now and thought I had them worked out
>but today I had my first falling over incident, just in time for Christmas.

Hi Russell

Congratulations! I managed to last all or two of three days when I
first started using SPDs. "A few months" is quite impressive.

>There were no witnesses though, so does this count?

If a tree falls in the forest etc... Of course it counts, but be sure
to do it in front of a large crowd next time.

James

In news:[email protected],
saveacup <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've been using SPDs for a few months now and thought I had them
> worked out but today I had my first falling over incident, just in
> time for Christmas.
>
> It happened right outside my back gate after a 20 mile ride along the
> old Scarborough-Whitby railway line, unclipped left foot on the
> approach but then just couldnt get the right foot unclipped, wobbled
> for a few seconds and then went from vertical to horizontal in one
> smooth motion. No harm done BTW.
>
> There were no witnesses though, so does this count?

My first was the first day I tried them, 6 months ago.
Nearly had a second today; rounded a corner, steep uphill bit, changed down
rapidly, chain came off, feet spinning ineffectually, nearly lost it, but
got unclipped in time to put my foot down in the biggest pile of dog poo
I've ever seen.
And that's where i'd have landed if I hadn't unclipped in time.
--

Martin Bulmer

wrote in message <[email protected]>:

>I've been using SPDs for a few months now and thought I had them worked out
>but today I had my first falling over incident, just in time for Christmas.

I think the PSF may have a solution for this problem :)

Guy
--
"then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs

>I think the PSF may have a solution for this problem :)
>
>Guy

Sheesh Guy, you'd think I'm about to become a bent bore??

Have I mentioned I got a nice Trice today??

Festive cheers, helen s

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> Sheesh Guy, you'd think I'm about to become a bent bore??
>
> Have I mentioned I got a nice Trice today??

Several times. First timed at 14:06 today -- a 'bent bore for less than 7
hours!! since then about 427 references!!

No -- did you?

> Have I mentioned I got a nice Trice today??

Once or Trice.

--
Dave...

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the
future of the human race. - H. G. Wells

>Several times. First timed at 14:06 today -- a 'bent bore for less than 7
>hours!! since then about 427 references!!

Well you know me, the quiet, shy, retiring type ;-)

>No -- did you?

No I didn't. But I did get a Trice.

Festive cheers, helen s

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

saveacup wrote:

> I've been using SPDs for a few months now and thought I had them worked out
> but today I had my first falling over incident, just in time for Christmas.
>
> It happened right outside my back gate after a 20 mile ride along the old
> Scarborough-Whitby railway line, unclipped left foot on the approach but
> then just couldnt get the right foot unclipped, wobbled for a few seconds
> and then went from vertical to horizontal in one smooth motion. No harm done
> BTW.

I bought my wife some SPDs and shoes, which she tried for the first time
last week. After a couple of successful clip-ins/clip-outs up and down
the patio, I popped back indoors to check on the baby and heard an
almighty crash from outside. I remember keeling over at traffic lights
the first time I used toeclips too!

James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote:

> Congratulations! I managed to last all or two of three days when I
> first started using SPDs. "A few months" is quite impressive.

I've *never* had a fall since I've been using SPDs.

But then I cheat by having an extra wheel :)

--
Carol
"Mmmmooooowooooff!" - the Moobark, "The Treacle People"

In message <[email protected]>, James Hodson
<[email protected]> writes

>Congratulations! I managed to last all or two of three days when I
>first started using SPDs. "A few months" is quite impressive.

>but be sure
>to do it in front of a large crowd next time.

I lasted all of 50 yards on my first journey before coming to an
ungraceful end near Wardour Street - in front of a group of pedestrians
crossing the road. They were very amused (and a bit drunk), but they did
help me up again.

--
congokid
Good restaurants in London? Number one on Google

saveacup wrote:
> I've been using SPDs for a few months now and thought I had them
> worked out but today I had my first falling over incident, just in
> time for Christmas.
>
> It happened right outside my back gate after a 20 mile ride along the
> old Scarborough-Whitby railway line, unclipped left foot on the
> approach but then just couldnt get the right foot unclipped, wobbled
> for a few seconds and then went from vertical to horizontal in one
> smooth motion. No harm done BTW.
>
> There were no witnesses though, so does this count?

Quick question - when you all started using SPDs, did none of you ever worry
that you might 'fall' at a set of lights just when the lights were turning
from red to green?

--
Akin

aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk

Epetruk wrote:
> saveacup wrote:
>> I've been using SPDs for a few months now and thought I had them
>> worked out but today I had my first falling over incident, just in
>> time for Christmas.
>>
>> It happened right outside my back gate after a 20 mile ride along the
>> old Scarborough-Whitby railway line, unclipped left foot on the
>> approach but then just couldnt get the right foot unclipped, wobbled
>> for a few seconds and then went from vertical to horizontal in one
>> smooth motion. No harm done BTW.
>>
>> There were no witnesses though, so does this count?

> Quick question - when you all started using SPDs, did none of you
> ever worry that you might 'fall' at a set of lights just when the
> lights were turning from red to green?

No. Lights and other junctions are not a real risk; unclipping is as
automatic as braking once you've used them for a little bit of time.

But I have had a similar accident with toe-straps. Over 20 years ago I fell
off at a t-junction by forgetting to undo the toe straps and realising that
I was wearing serrated sole trainers so my feet would not slide out
backwards. I fell on my right side and broke my left wrist in the fall.
Since then I've been very careful to use shoes which can't get stuck in
toe-straps.

SPDs don't have the same risks; I seem to unclip instinctively on an
upright, even in an emergency or a fall.
There is a slightly higher risk when riding a recumbent, the SPDs don't
release quite as easily. I know the answer; it's a recumbent trike!

- Nigel

--
NC - Webmaster for http://www.2mm.org.uk/
Replies to newsgroup postings to the newsgroup please.

in message <[email protected]>, Epetruk
('[email protected]') wrote:

> saveacup wrote:
>> I've been using SPDs for a few months now and thought I had them
>> worked out but today I had my first falling over incident, just in
>> time for Christmas.
>>
>> It happened right outside my back gate after a 20 mile ride along the
>> old Scarborough-Whitby railway line, unclipped left foot on the
>> approach but then just couldnt get the right foot unclipped, wobbled
>> for a few seconds and then went from vertical to horizontal in one
>> smooth motion. No harm done BTW.
>>
>> There were no witnesses though, so does this count?

> Quick question - when you all started using SPDs, did none of you ever
> worry that you might 'fall' at a set of lights just when the lights
> were turning from red to green?

In the days before 'clipless' pedals, when we used clips and straps and
getting your foot out of the pedal was really hard, pratfalls at
traffic lights were not uncommon. Always embarrassing, but I can't
remember anyone being injured in consequence.

'there are no solutions, only precipitates'

Epetruk <[email protected]> whizzed past me shouting
>saveacup wrote:
>>
>> It happened right outside my back gate after a 20 mile ride along the
>> old Scarborough-Whitby railway line, unclipped left foot on the
>> approach but then just couldnt get the right foot unclipped, wobbled
>> for a few seconds and then went from vertical to horizontal in one
>> smooth motion. No harm done BTW.
>>
>> There were no witnesses though, so does this count?

>Quick question - when you all started using SPDs, did none of you ever worry
>that you might 'fall' at a set of lights just when the lights were turning
>from red to green?

No, I worried I'd land on my back in a ditch with the bike still
attached to my feet. I've seen this happen; you can't get up without
help and your "friends" will take a photo first.

So I adjusted the springs on the pedals to only-just grip the cleats on
my boots. Do this while you're new to SPDs. Tighten them once
unclipping becomes automatic, and your pedalling action adapts to them.

Anyone using their new SPDs off road should make sure they've got cleats
with an M stamped on them (multiple release mode - means you
automatically unclip if you fall off sideways.)

--
Sue ];:))

What goes down must come up again - Confucius' Law of Mountain Biking

Sue White wrote:

> So I adjusted the springs on the pedals to only-just grip the cleats on
> my boots. Do this while you're new to SPDs. Tighten them once
> unclipping becomes automatic, and your pedalling action adapts to them.

Be aware though that SPDs on the lowest settings can pull straight out
without twisting the shoe. If you've got them on only-just mode you
should avoid sprinting and aggressive honking when climbing or starting off.

--
Dave...

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the
future of the human race. - H. G. Wells

Dave Kahn <[email protected]> whizzed past me shouting
>Sue White wrote:
>
>> So I adjusted the springs on the pedals to only-just grip the cleats
>>on my boots. Do this while you're new to SPDs. Tighten them once
>>unclipping becomes automatic, and your pedalling action adapts to them.

>Be aware though that SPDs on the lowest settings can pull straight out
>without twisting the shoe. If you've got them on only-just mode you
>should avoid sprinting and aggressive honking when climbing or starting
>off.

Also, when you're riding along a road, be cautious about bouncing your
bike up and down to shake some of the mud off. Both my feet came out of
the cleats at once, and I was quite surprised that I didn't land on the
tarmac.

--

Sue White wrote:

> Also, when you're riding along a road, be cautious about bouncing your
> bike up and down to shake some of the mud off. Both my feet came out of
> the cleats at once, and I was quite surprised that I didn't land on the
> tarmac.

So am I. :)