my first time out

forever darkness

Guest
date: december 9, 2004
time start: 2:35 pm
distance travelled: 1.36 miles
time stop: 3:05 pm

since i couldn't figure out how to mark distances and wanted to stay
off the roads for now, i went across the street and bought a
pedometer. i also wanted a stopwatch and clock device, and i don't
want to be dragging my palm pilot out for it.

nevermind that i used my palm pilot through the whole thing as an mp3
player. i really need a proper one. a $500 organizer shouldn't be
tossed around like that.

i used the park across the street which has mostly dirt trails and
some paved paths. it has a few rolling hills, but nothing major. it
also has far fewer people in it right now because of the weather, as
compared to say, the streets with all the traffic. no one should be
subjected to my tortuous huffing and puffing.

i didn't run the whole way through, because frankly, i couldn't do it.
so i'd run until my lungs started to burn, then walk, maintaining a
good speed to keep my heart rate up, with periodic stops to stretch a
burning shin. i think i didn't do good enough stretches at the
beginning.

before i started, i picked up a pedometer with clock, stopwatch, step,
mile, and calorie measure device, as well as heart rate monitor.
that, combined with the new shoes, shirt, pants, and "running for
dummies" book i picked up today, tells me i better make sure i stick
this out.

oh, and i also picked up a cute keychain clip with a lizard on it to
hold my asthma inhaler on my backpack. :D

overall, my lungs are still burning. i needed two puffs on the
inhaler about half way through. water helped keep my breathing
relatively stable through it all.

i'm wondering if i should try to spread the cardio out a bit more? i
spent 45 minutes on a cycle this morning, and really pushed myself
there. i definitely think i'll have to spread this out a bit more.
on the days i do yoga, i go jogging. on cycling and weight lifting
days, i don't.

now to go have a quick protein shake, since my protein always seems
low, according to popular opinion.

cassandra
=, (\_/) ,= cassandra |http://darkness.mine.nu/spirit
/`-'--(")--'-'\ forever darkness |spiritATcyberbeachDOTnet
/ (___) \ geek girl |http://darkness.mine.nu
/.-.-./ " " \.-.-.\ |"embrace the darkness"
____________________________________|_________________________________
Genie: Oh, aren't you acquainted with recursive acronyms? I thought
everybody knew about them. You see, "GOD" stands for "GOD Over Djinn"
- which can be expanded as "GOD Over Djinn, Over Djinn" - and that
can, in turn, be expanded to "GOD Over Djinn, Over Djinn, Over Djinn"
- which can, in its turn, be further expanded... You can go as far as
you like.
Achilles: But I'll never finish!
Genie: Of course not. You can never totally expand GOD.

BodMod Code: http://iam.bmezine.com/modcode.exe
MAS$ a- D--()$ d(-)$ b-:mad: P++>+++$ T>+$ s->+@ !S I->@ e-@ c--:$ R$ r-@
x++<++++

hey cassandra...

read your post...not quite clear on how your first time out was for you. could
you perhaps be a little more thorough about how it felt and what is was like?

thanks

"Lanceandrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> hey cassandra...
>
> read your post...not quite clear on how your first time out was for you.

could
> you perhaps be a little more thorough about how it felt and what is was

like?

> thanks

Yunno, 'lance', once *may* have been excusable, but twice?

I hope nothing bad happens to you in your world :)

Luv,

Roger.

forever darkness wrote:
> date: december 9, 2004
> time start: 2:35 pm
> distance travelled: 1.36 miles
> time stop: 3:05 pm
>
> since i couldn't figure out how to mark distances and wanted to stay
> off the roads for now, i went across the street and bought a
> pedometer.

Arrgh! Bad move!

You should have listened to Roger and measured a bit of road with your
car/bike/almost *anything* other than a pedometer.

The thing is, all pedometers are just glorified step counters. Until you've
calibrated them against a known distance you can't trust any of them to be
accurate. Best thing you can do now is find some young teenage kid and give
it to him/her as a present. They'll be happy because they've got a new toy
and you'll be happy because you've made someone else happy.

Now I'm willing to bet that you're not so out of shape that you can't *walk*
at least at 3 mph. Now that equals 1 mile in 20 minutes. therefore, unless
you've just been taken off a life support machine, you can probably walk 1.5
miles in 30 minutes. So I reckon your 30 minutes to run/walk 1.34 miles
just can't be right.

<snip>

> overall, my lungs are still burning. i needed two puffs on the
> inhaler about half way through.

Again you should have listened to Roger. Use your inhaler *before* you
exercise if you regularly get wheezy when you exercise.

> i'm wondering if i should try to spread the cardio out a bit more? i
> spent 45 minutes on a cycle this morning, and really pushed myself
> there. i definitely think i'll have to spread this out a bit more.
> on the days i do yoga, i go jogging. on cycling and weight lifting
> days, i don't.

The idea behind the "run a mile" plan was to give us a baseline indication
of your fitness. I think we can probably agree that there's a little room
for improvement. ;-)

If Roger hasn't skived off womanising again he might come back with a
training plan for you but in case he has, you could do worse that follow one
of the many beginner plans on the net. Most of these are based around
getting you to do 30 minutes walk/run three times a week, gradually
increasing the time spent running and decreasing the time spent walking
until you can run for a full 30 minutes.

Have a look at
http://www.runnersworld.com/category/0,5034,s6-51-184-0-0,00.html for a few
suggestions.

Good luck and keep us informed!

Tim

>Yunno, 'lance', once *may* have been excusable, but twice?
___

what did i do?

hee hee...c'mon...you gotta admit it was very funny....had a wonderful "ground
hog's day" feel to it..no? it was too open and clear of a shot to not
take....sorry.

On 2004-12-09, forever darkness <[email protected]> wrote:
> date: december 9, 2004
> time start: 2:35 pm
> distance travelled: 1.36 miles
> time stop: 3:05 pm
>
> since i couldn't figure out how to mark distances and wanted to stay
> off the roads for now, i went across the street and bought a
> pedometer. i also wanted a stopwatch and clock device, and i don't
> want to be dragging my palm pilot out for it.

If you've got a stopwatch, the pedometer is redundant. Stride rate doesn't
change much with pace (stride length does), so the pedometer doesn't do much
besides mark time or give an indicator of the walk/run ratio.

> i'm wondering if i should try to spread the cardio out a bit more? i
> spent 45 minutes on a cycle this morning, and really pushed myself
> there. i definitely think i'll have to spread this out a bit more.
> on the days i do yoga, i go jogging. on cycling and weight lifting
> days, i don't.

The key is to train frequently, but not work so hard that you're near-death
on each workout. The above might be useful to help Rog measure your level
of fitness, but it's not a good workout plan. Be generous to yourself with the
walk breaks -- run and then walk when you feel a little tired. Then run again.
Eventually you'll be able to keep running without it hurting, but until then
there's no point beating yourself up.

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

>what did i do?
>
>hee hee...c'mon...you gotta admit it was very funny....had a wonderful
>"ground
>hog's day" feel to it..no? it was too open and clear of a shot to not
>take....sorry.

"She" is probably Roger anyways. Who else but Roger could possibly like Roger?

"Donovan Rebbechi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> The key is to train frequently, but not work so hard that you're

near-death
> on each workout.

I agree Donny, but she *does* have some work to do. Those times were
****-poor given that she's already into cycling and weights/yoga.

> The above might be useful to help Rog measure your level
> of fitness, but it's not a good workout plan. Be generous to yourself with

the
> walk breaks -- run and then walk when you feel a little tired. Then run

again.

How long's she got before her test? 1.5 miles in 11.5 mins is pretty far
away from where she is now - 1.36 miles in 30 mins. That's a serious
improvement you're looking at, possibly in a relatively short timescale.
Her asthma doesn't appear to be well controlled or is more serious than
she's admitting. Frankly, I'd be convinced I could get her through if I
was physically running with her while she trained, but I'm thousands of
miles away. None of you guys prepared to take her on? She *really* needs
someone with patience and experience to take her through this. C'mon Surf,
man. She's Canadian, you're Canadian. You could help.

Roger.

"Tim Downie" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Arrgh! Bad move!
>
>You should have listened to Roger and measured a bit of road with your
>car/bike/almost *anything* other than a pedometer.

oops!

>The thing is, all pedometers are just glorified step counters. Until you've
>calibrated them against a known distance you can't trust any of them to be
>accurate. Best thing you can do now is find some young teenage kid and give
>it to him/her as a present. They'll be happy because they've got a new toy
>and you'll be happy because you've made someone else happy.

since i don't know any teenage kids, i think i'll keep it and use it
as a watch / stopwatch. :)

>Now I'm willing to bet that you're not so out of shape that you can't *walk*
>at least at 3 mph. Now that equals 1 mile in 20 minutes. therefore, unless
>you've just been taken off a life support machine, you can probably walk 1.5
>miles in 30 minutes. So I reckon your 30 minutes to run/walk 1.34 miles
>just can't be right.

so i probably went more???

>> overall, my lungs are still burning. i needed two puffs on the
>> inhaler about half way through.

>Again you should have listened to Roger. Use your inhaler *before* you
>exercise if you regularly get wheezy when you exercise.

i did use the inhaler before. i used it part way through as well.

>> i'm wondering if i should try to spread the cardio out a bit more? i
>> spent 45 minutes on a cycle this morning, and really pushed myself
>> there. i definitely think i'll have to spread this out a bit more.
>> on the days i do yoga, i go jogging. on cycling and weight lifting
>> days, i don't.

>The idea behind the "run a mile" plan was to give us a baseline indication
>of your fitness. I think we can probably agree that there's a little room
>for improvement. ;-)

oh quite a bit of room for improvement. i can be frank... i suck. :D

>If Roger hasn't skived off womanising again he might come back with a
>training plan for you but in case he has, you could do worse that follow one
>of the many beginner plans on the net. Most of these are based around
>getting you to do 30 minutes walk/run three times a week, gradually
>increasing the time spent running and decreasing the time spent walking
>until you can run for a full 30 minutes.

i'll do some searching around and see what i can find. :)

>Have a look at
>http://www.runnersworld.com/category/0,5034,s6-51-184-0-0,00.html for a few
>suggestions.

thanks!

cassandra
=, (\_/) ,= cassandra |http://darkness.mine.nu/spirit
/`-'--(")--'-'\ forever darkness |spiritATcyberbeachDOTnet
/ (___) \ geek girl |http://darkness.mine.nu
/.-.-./ " " \.-.-.\ |"embrace the darkness"
____________________________________|_________________________________
"Antemortem x-rays tend to be shitty. You can quote me on that."
- S. Fairgrieve

BodMod Code: http://iam.bmezine.com/modcode.exe
MAS$ a- D--()$ d(-)$ b-:mad: P++>+++$ T>+$ s->+@ !S I->@ e-@ c--:$ R$ r-@
x++<++++

Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote:

>If you've got a stopwatch, the pedometer is redundant. Stride rate doesn't
>change much with pace (stride length does), so the pedometer doesn't do much
>besides mark time or give an indicator of the walk/run ratio.

part of the reason i wanted the pedometer was so i could get some
distances while running in a park. i'll try to get it calibrated so
it's a bit more accurate.

>The key is to train frequently, but not work so hard that you're near-death
>on each workout. The above might be useful to help Rog measure your level
>of fitness, but it's not a good workout plan. Be generous to yourself with the
>walk breaks -- run and then walk when you feel a little tired. Then run again.
>Eventually you'll be able to keep running without it hurting, but until then
>there's no point beating yourself up.

that's more or less what i did... i'd run until i'd start to feel it
hurting... not serious hurting, but just enough to say "this is
getting there", then i'd walk for about a minute. start back up
running again, and then walk. a lady at the gym explained to me that
i don't want to run myself stupid then find that a one minute walk
wouldn't help me recover.

thanks for the suggestions!

cassandra
=, (\_/) ,= cassandra |http://darkness.mine.nu/spirit
/`-'--(")--'-'\ forever darkness |spiritATcyberbeachDOTnet
/ (___) \ geek girl |http://darkness.mine.nu
/.-.-./ " " \.-.-.\ |"embrace the darkness"
____________________________________|_________________________________
"What am I going to do with a herd of humans? One makes an
interesting pet, but twenty are an infestation."
- Duranix on adopting humans, "Children of the Plains", pg 92

DLU Code: http://www.dragonlanceunderground.com
WD- AFDL+++ SAFDL++ DLIRC DLC DLML- KE+ DLCG- DLRP+ AOM+ CAN-- LSR+
RVD RW+ RE++

"np426z" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> The key is to train frequently, but not work so hard that you're

>near-death
>> on each workout.

>I agree Donny, but she *does* have some work to do. Those times were
>****-poor given that she's already into cycling and weights/yoga.

that's what upset when i tried out at the police test. i knew i had
to run, but i figured with all the cycling and weights and aerobics, i
*should* have a decent cardio going. i do, but according to some of
the instructors i talked to, cardio for cycling is very different from
cardio in running. :/

the guy at the testing facility told me to get my buns out and
starting running on the streets. don't go on a treadmill or count on
cycling to help. do the actual runs that i should be doing in the
test.

>How long's she got before her test? 1.5 miles in 11.5 mins is pretty far
>away from where she is now - 1.36 miles in 30 mins. That's a serious
>improvement you're looking at, possibly in a relatively short timescale.

test is sometime in late january. so that gives me a little less than
two months. *if* i'm not ready, i may be able to put it off for
another month or two.

>Her asthma doesn't appear to be well controlled or is more serious than
>she's admitting. Frankly, I'd be convinced I could get her through if I
>was physically running with her while she trained, but I'm thousands of
>miles away.

the asthma isn't that bad. really and truly. it just needs some
work. i go through an hour long cycling class without using it at
all.

> None of you guys prepared to take her on? She *really* needs
>someone with patience and experience to take her through this. C'mon Surf,
>man. She's Canadian, you're Canadian. You could help.

canada's a big place y'know. :D

cassandra
=, (\_/) ,= cassandra |http://darkness.mine.nu/spirit
/`-'--(")--'-'\ forever darkness |spiritATcyberbeachDOTnet
/ (___) \ geek girl |http://darkness.mine.nu
/.-.-./ " " \.-.-.\ |"embrace the darkness"
____________________________________|_________________________________
"He lies like a hedgehog rolled up the wrong way, tormenting himself
with his prickles."
--Thomas Hood

On 2004-12-11, forever darkness <[email protected]> wrote:
> Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>If you've got a stopwatch, the pedometer is redundant. Stride rate doesn't
>>change much with pace (stride length does), so the pedometer doesn't do much
>>besides mark time or give an indicator of the walk/run ratio.

> part of the reason i wanted the pedometer was so i could get some
> distances while running in a park. i'll try to get it calibrated so
> it's a bit more accurate.

Maybe I didn't explain it well enough, so let's try again.

Stride rate does not change (not much anyway) as a function of pace. It is more
or less constant. Because of this, you could "calibrate" your pedometer, but
this would be no better than "calibrating" your watch by timing yourself for a
lap around the track.

The pedometer is no better for measuring distance than a watch. You aren't
attempting to use your watch to measure distance, so why are you attempting to
do the same with a pedometer ?

If you want an accurate measure, get a bike computer, calibrate that and ride
your bike around those routes (tire pressure is a variable, but it should
still be reasonably accurate)

Cheers,