My FitDay nutrient experiment: one day result

Ignoramus14140

Guest
A couple of weeks ago, I asked a question as to whether a person who "eats healthy" needs vitamin
supplement. The answer was, since you never know how much you are getting, it is better to
supplement with vitamins.

I decided that I could do better than that since I do know what I am eating. So I promised to start
entering all my food eaten into fitday to analyze it for nutrients. Last week was not typical for me
because I was out of town on the weekend, but this week I want to stick to entering all my food.

All quantities entered were eyeballed, but I am generally decent at eyeballing.

So, yesterday I ate stuff that I normally eat, and it came out at 1985 calories. A bit on the low
side for me, esp considering that I fast on Thursdays, but I was a little busy yesterday.

According to the nutrient report on fitday, I met all standard fitday goals for vitamins a,d,e,k, c,
thiamin, robiflavin b-6,b-12, niacin, folate, iron, selenium, phosporus, magnesium. 2.2 grams of
sodium. I ate only 90% of rda for calcium and 66% for zinc -- only two nutrients in which I was
deficient.

I entered my breakfast and lunch into fitday for today (took lunch from home) and I meet all reqs of
yesterday, plus exceeded calcium.

So, a very preliminary conclusion: does not seem like I need to pop vitamin pills.

fitday allows setting custom nutritional goals, so I welcome suggestions for goals for more stuff.

On 27 Jan 2004 14:50:45 GMT, Ignoramus14140
<[email protected]> wrote:

>According to the nutrient report on fitday, I met all standard fitday goals for vitamins a,d,e,k,
>c, thiamin, robiflavin b-6,b-12, niacin, folate, iron, selenium, phosporus, magnesium. 2.2 grams of
>sodium. I ate only 90% of rda for calcium and 66% for zinc -- only two nutrients in which I was
>deficient.

What makes you think 100% RDA is all you need? For life extension purposes, at least, MEGADOSING is
the way to go.

In article <[email protected]>, Capitalist Pig wrote:
> On 27 Jan 2004 14:50:45 GMT, Ignoramus14140
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>According to the nutrient report on fitday, I met all standard fitday goals for vitamins a,d,e,k,
>>c, thiamin, robiflavin b-6,b-12, niacin, folate, iron, selenium, phosporus, magnesium. 2.2 grams
>>of sodium. I ate only 90% of rda for calcium and 66% for zinc -- only two nutrients in which I was
>>deficient.
>>

> What makes you think 100% RDA is all you need? For life extension purposes, at least, MEGADOSING
> is the way to go.

I agree that the RDA is not necessarily the best goal for some nutrients. That does not mean that a
given multivitamin pill provides the right dose, either. My limited reading of books and articles on
LE and CR does not seem to show much benefit from megadoses of anything, but then again, perhaps I
missed something important.

On 27 Jan 2004 17:18:40 GMT, Ignoramus14140
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I agree that the RDA is not necessarily the best goal for some nutrients. That does not mean that a
>given multivitamin pill provides the right dose, either. My limited reading of books and articles
>on LE and CR does not seem to show much benefit from megadoses of anything, but then again, perhaps
>I missed something important.

Why don't you start a "Megadosing" thread here (sci.life-extension) and see what happens?

"Capitalist Pig" <root@localhost.> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 27 Jan 2004 17:18:40 GMT, Ignoramus14140 <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >I agree that the RDA is not necessarily the best goal for some nutrients. That does not mean that
> >a given multivitamin pill provides the right dose, either. My limited reading of books and
> >articles on LE and CR does not seem to show much benefit from megadoses of anything, but then
> >again, perhaps I missed something important.
> >

> Why don't you start a "Megadosing" thread here (sci.life-extension) and see what happens?

He can't just post to one newsgroup: it's counter to his nature, like that scorpion who couldn't not
sting that turtle.

Tonia
221/195/130

> My limited reading of books and articles on LE and CR does not seem to show much benefit from
> megadoses of anything, but then again, perhaps I missed something important.

Referenced evidence for megadosing exists at http://mcp.longevity-report.com

Cheers, Michael C Price

Capitalist Pig wrote:

> On 27 Jan 2004 14:50:45 GMT, Ignoramus14140 <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>According to the nutrient report on fitday, I met all standard fitday goals for vitamins a,d,e,k,
>>c, thiamin, robiflavin b-6,b-12, niacin, folate, iron, selenium, phosporus, magnesium. 2.2 grams
>>of sodium. I ate only 90% of rda for calcium and 66% for zinc -- only two nutrients in which I was
>>deficient.
>>

> What makes you think 100% RDA is all you need?

Or better yet, what does fitday think is proper numbers. Are these numbers for active people or
couch potatoes?

> For life extension purposes, at least, MEGADOSING is the way to go.

Save money and jump out a window.