My friend got hit by a car...

Paul Hobson

Guest
And the pathetic excuse for a life form (peflf) drove off. Probably 15
of us were riding down Memorial Avenue last night. We were 1 block from
our destination (our buddy's loft). 15 of us had lights, and those that
didn't were riding close to someone who did. She was in the left side
of the right lane, which was probably a mistake on our part(1), but
still wouldn't fully explain why some in the middle of the pack got hit
so hard "on accident" that I heard a loud POP!!! (her wheel tacoing)
from a block and a half a way (I'd sprinted to make the green light
since we were so close). No one got a positive ID on the vehicle.

Some photos:
http://fastermustache.org/gallery?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=2578
http://fastermustache.org/gallery?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=2581
http://fastermustache.org/gallery?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=2584
http://fastermustache.org/gallery?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=2587

[end transmission. overly long, non-essential footnote below sig]

\\paul
--
Paul M. Hobson
Georgia Institute of Technology

(1) We definitely have a flawed riding style when traffic is low (as it
was). This happened late Friday night, so the peflf was probably drunk.
The evening was a girl's night out and dude's night out that had a met
up at a bar to go dancing. After all of this happened, two other guys
and I rode home slowly and single file since we all live in the same
part of town. On Peachtree St (ATL's main drag) some rasta dude sat
through a green light talking to another car and we went around him
after asking some him sarcastic questions. "You gonna go buddy" He
ended up driving past me with about 6 inches of room. "Watch it idiot!"
"You get off the street before I hit your ass!"

I lost it, shouted, cussed and the like. We ending up having to speed
ahead (like idiots) to avoid anything serious. uuggggghhh

Paul Hobson wrote:
> And the pathetic excuse for a life form (peflf) drove off. Probably 15
> of us were riding down Memorial Avenue last night. We were 1 block from
> our destination (our buddy's loft). 15 of us had lights, and those that
> didn't were riding close to someone who did.

sorry...20 of us were in the group

--
Paul M. Hobson
Georgia Institute of Technology
..:change the words to numbers
if you want to reply to me:.

In article <[email protected]>,
Paul Hobson <[email protected]> writes:

> No one got a positive ID on the vehicle.

I hope the incident was reported anyway.

regards,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Paul Hobson wrote:
> And the pathetic excuse for a life form (peflf) drove off. Probably 15
> of us were riding down Memorial Avenue last night. We were 1 block from
> our destination (our buddy's loft). 15 of us had lights, and those that
> didn't were riding close to someone who did. She was in the left side
> of the right lane, which was probably a mistake on our part(1), but
> still wouldn't fully explain why some in the middle of the pack got hit
> so hard "on accident" that I heard a loud POP!!! (her wheel tacoing)
> from a block and a half a way (I'd sprinted to make the green light
> since we were so close). No one got a positive ID on the vehicle.
>
> Some photos:
> http://fastermustache.org/gallery?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=2578
> http://fastermustache.org/gallery?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=2581
> http://fastermustache.org/gallery?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=2584
> http://fastermustache.org/gallery?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=2587
>
> [end transmission. overly long, non-essential footnote below sig]
>
> \\paul

How's she doing? I can't imagine how she wound up with skid marks on
the top of her helmet. I hope she is doing all right.

catzz66 wrote:
> Paul Hobson wrote:
>

>> Some photos:
>> http://fastermustache.org/gallery?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=2578
>> http://fastermustache.org/gallery?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=2581
>> http://fastermustache.org/gallery?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=2584
>> http://fastermustache.org/gallery?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=2587
>>
>> [end transmission. overly long, non-essential footnote below sig]
>>
>> \\paul

> How's she doing? I can't imagine how she wound up with skid marks on
> the top of her helmet. I hope she is doing all right.

She's actually doing really well. At the time, she was just really
shaken up. I would have been crying like a baby, but she really took it
like a champ. I don't think she has any serious serious injuries.
She's still in the hospital right now though, so it's hard to say.

I only heard the pop and then saw her on the ground. From the looks of
her position and that of the bike, I think the car clipped her rear tire
(obviously), which spun the frame around and caused her to endo, landing
smack on the head and then slid farther on her side. Probably not the
best idea, but we slowly moved her out of the road after setting up our
blinkie blockade. She was talking to us, but seemed to be near a state
of shock. She asked where the car had come from - she never really new
what had hit her. She just figured it out.

Definitely the end of summer bummer. :(

--

Tom Keats wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Paul Hobson <[email protected]> writes:
>

>>No one got a positive ID on the vehicle.

> I hope the incident was reported anyway.
>

> regards,
> Tom

Yeah, a police officer was on the scene. And asked mostly everyone
questions. Aside from us, there was a man who had gotten out of a cab
right as it happened. He had the best description of the vehicle, but
the police officer still told me that he had gotten 4 different one. lame.

The police officer really seemed to take note that there were several of
us riding together and that she wasn't in the back of the pack. I think
he (like the rest of us) suspected aggressively driving gone horribly
wrong. :\

\\paul
--

catzz66 wrote:
> Paul Hobson wrote:

> How's she doing? I can't imagine how she wound up with skid marks on
> the top of her helmet. I hope she is doing all right.

I forgot to mention, she landed in an old oil stain. By the time I
saw what had happened, dropped my bike and bag and started to run down
to her, 7 people were on their cellphone calling for help already. I
got halfway there, saw/heard people freaking out, and a big dark spot on
the asphalt. I really stated to panic then, thinking it was blood.

scary scary scary

--
Paul M. Hobson
Georgia Institute of Technology
..:change the words to numbers
if you want to reply to me:.

Very sorry to see things like this happen. Hit and run is a
shame. Your friend should lay off the cider while riding too.
Don'tcha think? Saw her drinking cider in alot of the pics. Also
saw the bottle under her wheel in another pic. Damn shame. Stay
sharp when you ride.

~Rob

"Paul Hobson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[...]
:
: Some photos:
:
http://fastermustache.org/gallery?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=2578
:
http://fastermustache.org/gallery?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=2581
:
http://fastermustache.org/gallery?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=2584
:
http://fastermustache.org/gallery?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=2587
:
: [end transmission. overly long, non-essential footnote below
sig]
:
: \\paul
: --

~R wrote:
> Very sorry to see things like this happen. Hit and run is a
> shame. Your friend should lay off the cider while riding too.
> Don'tcha think? Saw her drinking cider in alot of the pics. Also
> saw the bottle under her wheel in another pic. Damn shame. Stay
> sharp when you ride.
>
> ~Rob

Excellent points, but that bottle was is just there. Litter, especially
beer bottles are ubiquitous in that part of town. Also, the ladies'
event started at 7 pm that night, I think. She was quite sober when
this happened, I assure you.

> [...]
> : ahead (like idiots) to avoid anything serious. uuggggghhh

--
Paul M. Hobson
Georgia Institute of Technology
..:change the words to numbers
if you want to reply to me:.

Paul Hobson <[email protected]> wrote:

>~R wrote:
>> Very sorry to see things like this happen. Hit and run is a
>> shame. Your friend should lay off the cider while riding too.
>> Don'tcha think? Saw her drinking cider in alot of the pics. Also
>> saw the bottle under her wheel in another pic. Damn shame. Stay
>> sharp when you ride.
>>
>> ~Rob

>Excellent points, but that bottle was is just there. Litter, especially
>beer bottles are ubiquitous in that part of town. Also, the ladies'
>event started at 7 pm that night, I think. She was quite sober when

Unless I'm mistaken, ~R did the same thing I just did--reviewed /the
rest/ of the photo album that's on your site.

drunker and drunker, then--when thoroughly ********* (I was a
bartender. I know what this looks like), getting into a bike vs. car
accident at 3-something in the morning on a major Atlanta street.

While I don't wish harm on anybody, and while I hope your friend is
ok, are my facts correct?

If so, this just shouldn't have happened. If I'm incorrect, maybe
you'll want to clear the air....

Again, bottom line: I hope she recovers fully and quickly.

Neil Brooks wrote:
> Paul Hobson <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>~R wrote:
>>
>>>Very sorry to see things like this happen. Hit and run is a
>>>shame. Your friend should lay off the cider while riding too.
>>>Don'tcha think? Saw her drinking cider in alot of the pics. Also
>>>saw the bottle under her wheel in another pic. Damn shame. Stay
>>>sharp when you ride.
>>>
>>>~Rob

>>Excellent points, but that bottle was is just there. Litter, especially
>>beer bottles are ubiquitous in that part of town. Also, the ladies'
>>event started at 7 pm that night, I think. She was quite sober when
>>this happened, I assure you.

> Unless I'm mistaken, ~R did the same thing I just did--reviewed /the
> rest/ of the photo album that's on your site.

> drunker and drunker, then--when thoroughly ********* (I was a
> bartender. I know what this looks like), getting into a bike vs. car
> accident at 3-something in the morning on a major Atlanta street.
>
> While I don't wish harm on anybody, and while I hope your friend is
> ok, are my facts correct?
>
> If so, this just shouldn't have happened. If I'm incorrect, maybe
> you'll want to clear the air....
>
> Again, bottom line: I hope she recovers fully and quickly.

Christy is a dance machine and is always having fun like that. She had
drank that night, but was not drunk for the ride home (we had friends
with cars with room for bikes). As standard proceedure, the hospital
tested her blood at the hospital - found non-impairing. Memorial (the
street) was empty. I wouldn't call it a major street, not definitely
not minor.

Also noteworthy, only the external witness said he saw the car swerve
into her. That might be intentional, or the driver might have been
drunk. We'll never know, especially me since I never saw a thing. But
either way, we all got together last night and dicussed how to prevent
this from happening again.

--

Chess Freak wrote:
> Hit and Run is wrong, but I don't 100% blame the car driver here.
> You do this all night:
>
> http://fastermustache.org/gallery?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=2488
>
> Then ride bikes in the dark while on the left hand side of the right lane,
> and assuming your camera clock is accurate - at 3AM, well - duh!
>
> Hope she is okay.

wasn't there for the photo you linked to, but the whole theme of the
night was that the girls could have more fun then us. My guess is that
they staged that photo...see the above response about her hospital visit.

--

Neil Brooks wrote:
> Paul Hobson <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>~R wrote:
>>
>>>Very sorry to see things like this happen. Hit and run is a
>>>shame. Your friend should lay off the cider while riding too.
>>>Don'tcha think? Saw her drinking cider in alot of the pics. Also
>>>saw the bottle under her wheel in another pic. Damn shame. Stay
>>>sharp when you ride.
>>>
>>>~Rob

>>Excellent points, but that bottle was is just there. Litter, especially
>>beer bottles are ubiquitous in that part of town. Also, the ladies'
>>event started at 7 pm that night, I think. She was quite sober when
>>this happened, I assure you.

> Unless I'm mistaken, ~R did the same thing I just did--reviewed /the
> rest/ of the photo album that's on your site.

> drunker and drunker, then--when thoroughly ********* (I was a
> bartender. I know what this looks like), getting into a bike vs. car
> accident at 3-something in the morning on a major Atlanta street.
>
> While I don't wish harm on anybody, and while I hope your friend is
> ok, are my facts correct?
>
> If so, this just shouldn't have happened. If I'm incorrect, maybe
> you'll want to clear the air....
>
> Again, bottom line: I hope she recovers fully and quickly.

Forgot to mention, most of the people on the ride met up with us as we
left the club...i.e., we don't know most of the drunk dancing people in
the photos and they weren't riding with us

--
Paul M. Hobson
Georgia Institute of Technology
..:change the words to numbers