My friends name their cars, do riders name their Bikes?

nothingman81

Jun 11, 2011
If so what is it? I am curious, and if you have a picture handy post it so we can put 2 and 2 together. Or I havent named really anything that isnt living butttt why not?

The names that I use for my bikes are their manufacturers. Sort of like the Raleigh or the Univega or the Lotus and so on. I only have one that I have a name for that is not the manufacturer's name. It is a 1987 Raleigh Super Course that I call "My Baby". It is a sweet old bike that I have a long history with, and in trying to keep it as mint as possible, I rarely ride it and really baby it when I do.

Babying on this bike means riding it only on days that are perfectly dry. An easy cruise with no mashing the gears or putting on a lot of speed. Conservative shifting. No shifts while under load. No off road riding. and then after the ride, a good thorough cleaning and hand drying, cleaning and lubing the chain. And then taking the pedals back off and putting them back on my daily rider. This bike has Shimano 500EX Exage components on it. These are getting difficult to find in good condition anymore so I am trying to save what is on there.

I have a Waterford model 1900 that I use for touring and commuting. Her name is Xena after the '90's show starring Lucy Lawless. I started calling my bike that after I watched the pre-views from the show one night and the announcer would always say "Battle on Xena!" So after I heard that, I would climb on my bike and as I started taking off, I said out loud "Peddle on Xena!" Only one person ever got that line. I still use it as it's just fun to say!

I have a Merida 901. I know its not a really special bike but it i have a big family and not alot of cash to throw around, it took me ages to save and finally i got it.
The wife calls it my 'other woman'.
I ride whatever the weather, but she gets cleaned thoroughly even before i change out of my lycra.
She has no name, and once and only once the wife caught talking to her!
She thinks i'm a crackpot but i have a bond with this machine, i bet other people have the same.

Whupp

I just picked up my Electra Townie today, and I named her Grace...Haha, I'm guessing you all think that is a joke. Nope, she is my Grace...

I have a Giant Sedona that I use for lugging the kids around, errand runs, etc - I named it "Hoss" because the damn thing weighs a metric ton. I once got into a head-on collision with a Volkswagen Beetle on it; the VW was totaled but everyone was OK and I rode off after about 45 min.

That was my first "adult" bike....my 2nd bike is after realizing that I really enjoyed riding, I decided to get semi-serious about it and bought a Diamondback Podium 1 from a friend. He had named it Blue (because it was blue, I am guessing) but for me, the difference between turning a pedal on the Giant vs the DBR was night-and-day; the DBR just shoots out and weighs nothing, so I decided to call it "Lightnin".