My Future 1K Bicycle

Desert Rider

Nov 13, 2007
Hey there everybody! I'm looking for alittle advice. I bought a Schwinn Voyaguer GS last March and quickly grew out of it. I was getting back into riding and had a tight budget. I was mostly attracted to the XXL frame(823 Standover for 6'-2"). Now, I am really looking forward to getting a road bike. I'm thinking for a thousand dollars I'd like either a Cannondale Synapse 6, a Trek 1.5, a Giant OCR 1 or a Schwinn Le Tour GSX. If I go to the $800 range I'm thinking Cannondale Synapse 7, Trek 1.2, Giant OCR 2, Specialized Allenz(triple or double?) or Schwinn Le Tour GS. I love riding 10-20 miles a day, more on weekends. Does anybody have $.02 they can contribute to my decision making process? I'd like advice on frame configuration, size, components and tire width, should I have clips or get shoes,etc. BTW, I'm no spring chicken but for 50 I'm doing pretty good! Thanks!

(You managed to grow out of a bike at 55??:p:p)

Get clipless pedals, they should be the third thing on your shopping list after the bike and bike shorts.

The thing I like about my Trek 1000 is the ability to mount a rack and fit a small rackpack. It doubles as a training bike and as a light commuter. Does the Trek 1500 has something similar?