My gears don't work

KennyH

Jul 17, 2016
Hello, I don't know much about road bikes. I was trying to change gears and after a few changes, the whole thing seems stuck now. I just have two gear changers, one on each side of my handle bars as seen in the pic. It just presses down as far as I can tell. Now when I press either one, nothing happens. Here are some pics of what its set to. Again I know nothing about biking, so I assume its an easy fix, I hope anyway? Thanks for your time.

-Kenny

Hmm can't seem to upload images, still trying... Anyway the chain is set this way. The front large gear will has the chain on the smallest wheel. And on the back gear wheels, the chain is on the outside smallest wheel.

Last edited:
My first question is, what pictures?

Have you checked the tension on the shifter cables? Turn the shifters to the slack position (smallest sprocket for that derailer). If slack in cable, loosen binding nut, pull tight, and while holding tension, tighten it back. Let us know your findings.

We could play 20 questions, but it would be a lot easier if you could just take your bike to an experienced friend, or even to a real mechanic at the LBS. Most shops here will diagnose the bike on the spot and give you a quick estimate of the cost to repair for free.

We could play 20 questions, but it would be a lot easier if you could just take your bike to an experienced friend, or even to a real mechanic at the LBS. Most shops here will diagnose the bike on the spot and give you a quick estimate of the cost to repair for free.
I guess we could do that if we didn't want this person to learn how to take care of their own bike, but sadly, if something brreaks on the trail, ge may be screwed if he doesn't know how to correct problems like this.

The OP can't upload a pic. Although he may be a rocket surgeon in real life he hasn't a clue how a simple device like a bicycle functions. Let's go from there, shall we?

It may be just a simple adjustment or repair that's needed and the OP might even have it figured out by now...but...

With the information provided...a poor description of the problem and an admission of ignorance regarding bicycle repair...the advice given for the OP to seek out experienced help is reasonable and exactly what I would prescribe.

If so inclined, the OP can watch hours of YouTube repair videos, research the Park Tools website repair section and have fun repairing his jammed gears. Or...visit a bike shop, spend 20 minutes and $20 and be on his merry way.

Hello, I don't know much about road bikes. I was trying to change gears and after a few changes, the whole thing seems stuck now. I just have two gear changers, one on each side of my handle bars as seen in the pic. It just presses down as far as I can tell. Now when I press either one, nothing happens. Here are some pics of what its set to. Again I know nothing about biking, so I assume its an easy fix, I hope anyway? Thanks for your time.

-Kenny

Hmm can't seem to upload images, still trying... Anyway the chain is set this way. The front large gear will has the chain on the smallest wheel. And on the back gear wheels, the chain is on the outside smallest wheel.
FWIW ...

Based on the limited information which you have provided ...

I am willing-and-going to guess that you simply need to PULL (i.e., squeeze) on the lever which is on the lower half of the shifter to move the chain onto either a larger Cog on the rear OR onto a larger chainring.

That is, the (larger) lever adds tension to the cable and thereby moves the respective derailleur ...

And, the thumb lever releases the "escape mechanism" and thereby releases tension on the cable and respective derailleur and allows the return spring to move the derialleur back toward its neutral position..
BTW. Periodically, adjustments to the tension need to be made to ensure that the indexing remains dialed-in ...

Most-if-not-all MTB shifters have barrrel adjusters integrated on the shifter and located where the cable exits the shifter ...

SADLY. Shimano has abandoned the barrel adjuster on many-if-not-all of their MTB rear derailleurs ...

IMO, that makes adjustments a little more tedious than necessary.

You are aware that - with very few exceptions - you need to be pedalling for a derailer gear bike to shift gears, right?
If you try to do multiple shifts while the bike is stationary, it is likely to become unhappy.

you can drill the rivets off
if it is a freewheel, the gears unscrew from each other though it may not be easy
google 'chain whip'
need advise too.