My gears

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Paul J, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Paul J

Paul J New Member

My chain seems to making alot of noise but only in a few certain gears after changing up. On closer inspection it looks as if it is rubbing against the next larger sprocket (next lower gear). I've tried adjusting the indexing to iliminate this but that just creates more problems with shifting.

Could it be that I need to take the deraileur apart and clean it up? Maybe need a new cable? I don't know. Chain is relatively new with no sign of stretch. Cluster looks good. It's just driving me nuts.

Appreciate some input.
    Thanks folks.

Tags:

2. drewjc

drewjc New Member

Due to the problem only happening in a few gears, it sounds like you may have a problem regarding the deraileur linkage, or the shifter indexing. Is it possible that you are using two different brands with these two components, or even the same brand (campagnolo in particular) but with a large age difference. I know for a fact that Campag changed their indexing in the 9speed range a few yrs ago so the previous 9spd deraileurs dont work with the current 9 spd shifters (i encountered this problem personally after wrecking a deraileur). You may need a new dearileur or an insert for your shifter to account for this change.

If this isn't the problem, are you running pre-built wheels that run a shimano cassette with campag drivetrain (or vice versa)? Sometimes the 9spd indexing within the cassette between these 2 brands isn't close enough to enable proper shifting amongst brands (although i know of people running different brand casettes/shifter and it working perfectly). This problem would require a spacer kit for your casette, or a more dramtaic fix would be to change wheels, or even groupsets!

Hope that helps....If not let us all know what the problem is for future reference.

3. Paul J

Paul J New Member

Running Shimano Sora 8spd complete groupo. Could be the linkage or indexing but have no idea how to approach this. Am trying to wait a while before trading up and keep this machine running a bit longer.

Thanks heaps.

4. Paul J

Paul J New Member

By "linkage" are you refering to the cable, deraileur attachment bolt or the parallelogram?

5. drewjc

drewjc New Member

parallelogram. but if it is all the same brand then this shouldnt really be a problem unless it is broken. and u should be able to see this. Have u tried replacing the cable. this may fix the problem very cheaply and if it doesnt then u should probably take it to ur bike shop because it is too difficult to diagnose these sort of problems over the net.

6. Paul J

Paul J New Member

All's well. Replaced the cable on the weekend and it's running smoothly.
    Thanks for the help anyhow.