General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

My Goose is Cooked

Started by Boron Elgar · · Last activity · 5 posts · 293 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
26 December 2005
Last activity
28 December 2005
Original author
Boron Elgar
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
293
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I made a goose today. It weighed just over 13 lbs. A bit on the big
    side, but I must say that it came out so well, so moist and dee-lish
    that I will not hesitate to get one that size again.

    I roasted it on a rack in a 350 degree convection oven. Every half
    hour or so I used a turkey baster to remove the rendered fat from the
    bottom of the pan. The best of the fat was poured off into small
    freezer containers to be stored.

    About 20 minutes before the goose was ready to take out of the oven, I
    took some of Barb's cherry jam, mixed in some of Penzey's medium hot
    chili powder and basted the goose. I repeated that again 10 minutes
    later.

    Nice. Nice Nice.

    Boron

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    I made a goose today. It weighed just over 13 lbs. A bit on the big
    side, but I must say that it came out so well, so moist and dee-lish
    that I will not hesitate to get one that size again.

    I roasted it on a rack in a 350 degree convection oven. Every half
    hour or so I used a turkey baster to remove the rendered fat from the
    bottom of the pan. The best of the fat was poured off into small
    freezer containers to be stored.

    About 20 minutes before the goose was ready to take out of the oven, I
    took some of Barb's cherry jam, mixed in some of Penzey's medium hot
    chili powder and basted the goose. I repeated that again 10 minutes
    later.

    Nice. Nice Nice.

    Boron

    Snap. We had goose, too - didn't even have to cook it, we just handed it over
    to my mother.
    The nasty part was slaughering and cleaning the 3 young geese we had raised for
    the occasion: they were just fixin to moult it turned out and Suze and I spent
    5 hours (!) plucking, flaming and then pulling quills out of the skins <sigh>.
    I really don't know if I care to repeat THAT exercise any time soon.

    The roast was worth eating, though. Red cabbage on the side.

    -P.
    --
    =========================================
    firstname dot lastname at gmail fullstop com

  3. Peter Huebner said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    I made a goose today. It weighed just over 13 lbs. A bit on the big
    side, but I must say that it came out so well, so moist and dee-lish
    that I will not hesitate to get one that size again.

    I roasted it on a rack in a 350 degree convection oven. Every half
    hour or so I used a turkey baster to remove the rendered fat from the
    bottom of the pan. The best of the fat was poured off into small
    freezer containers to be stored.

    About 20 minutes before the goose was ready to take out of the oven, I
    took some of Barb's cherry jam, mixed in some of Penzey's medium hot
    chili powder and basted the goose. I repeated that again 10 minutes
    later.

    Nice. Nice Nice.

    Boron

    Snap. We had goose, too - didn't even have to cook it, we just handed it over
    to my mother.
    The nasty part was slaughering and cleaning the 3 young geese we had raised for
    the occasion: they were just fixin to moult it turned out and Suze and I spent
    5 hours (!) plucking, flaming and then pulling quills out of the skins <sigh>.
    I really don't know if I care to repeat THAT exercise any time soon.

    The roast was worth eating, though. Red cabbage on the side.

    -P.

    No goose down comforters?

    Boron
    (we also had red cabbage)

  4. Boron Elgar said:

    I roasted it on a rack in a 350 degree convection oven. Every half
    hour or so I used a turkey baster to remove the rendered fat from the
    bottom of the pan. The best of the fat was poured off into small
    freezer containers to be stored.

    So how much fat did you end up with? I had a 12 pound goose and ended up
    with 3 cups worth (24 oz.) of very nice white fat. Most of it came from the
    pan, the same way you got it, but some of it came from removing fat pieces
    before roasting and rendering it separately.

    Out of curiosity, I found out one can buy goose fat from places like Dean &
    Deluca at $10 for a 11.3 oz. jar. I feel better knowing I offset the initial
    cost of the goose by saving the fat! ;-)

    I started my roasting at 500 degrees for 20 minutes, the rest of the time at
    350 degrees. Normal gas oven, not convection. I was somewhat surprised that
    the initial time at 500 degrees didn't make a real mess of my oven or set
    off any smoke detectors. The cleanup in the oven afterwards was minor.

    --
    ( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

  5. On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 18:53:16 GMT, "wff_ng_7" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Boron Elgar said:

    I roasted it on a rack in a 350 degree convection oven. Every half
    hour or so I used a turkey baster to remove the rendered fat from the
    bottom of the pan. The best of the fat was poured off into small
    freezer containers to be stored.

    So how much fat did you end up with? I had a 12 pound goose and ended up
    with 3 cups worth (24 oz.) of very nice white fat. Most of it came from the
    pan, the same way you got it, but some of it came from removing fat pieces
    before roasting and rendering it separately.

    I wound up with almost a quart, though I kept only 3 or so cups.

    Quoted message said:


    Out of curiosity, I found out one can buy goose fat from places like Dean &
    Deluca at $10 for a 11.3 oz. jar. I feel better knowing I offset the initial
    cost of the goose by saving the fat! ;-)

    Youch. I must say, though, that goose is not cheap.

    Quoted message said:


    I started my roasting at 500 degrees for 20 minutes, the rest of the time at
    350 degrees. Normal gas oven, not convection. I was somewhat surprised that
    the initial time at 500 degrees didn't make a real mess of my oven or set
    off any smoke detectors. The cleanup in the oven afterwards was minor.

    The oven gets cleaned this weekend.

    Boron

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.