My Hat is Off To London Bicyclists

Stephen Harding

Guest
Spent a week in London last week and besides the
fantastic public transport (Tube and bus), I was
most impressed by the bicyclists of the city!

They were everywhere!

And they weren't timid souls poking along desperately
trying to stay a few inches from the curb to
accommodate speeding motor vehicles; they were right
out in the lanes, moving back and forth for left and
right turns, and in every since of the word, behaving
like vehicles with a right to the road!

Very impressive.

The London motorists, while going quite fast IMHO,
seemed to be very tolerant of the bicyclists as well,
so kudos to them too.

I saw only one occasion where a Mercedes laid on the
horn when a very nicely dressed woman in long skirt,
boots and jacket "took the lane" ahead of him.

All the riders seemed to really move along. Equipped
with head and tail lights, they zipped along the sides
of city streets making great progress.

Finally, no "bicycling outfits"! They all seemed to
be wearing fairly nice "go to work" clothes. No jerseys,
no SPDs, no tights or leggings, and no helmets!

They were simply [presumably] commuting to and from work
by the seeming hundreds. Don't know if London has always
had such a large bicycle commuting population or if this
is the result of the city charging cars that come into
town, but it was good to see.

SMH

Stephen Harding wrote:
> Spent a week in London last week and besides the
> fantastic public transport (Tube and bus), I was
> most impressed by the bicyclists of the city!
>
> They were everywhere!
>
> And they weren't timid souls poking along desperately
> trying to stay a few inches from the curb to
> accommodate speeding motor vehicles; they were right
> out in the lanes, moving back and forth for left and
> right turns, and in every since of the word, behaving
> like vehicles with a right to the road!
>
> Very impressive.
>
> The London motorists, while going quite fast IMHO,
> seemed to be very tolerant of the bicyclists as well,
> so kudos to them too.
>
> I saw only one occasion where a Mercedes laid on the
> horn when a very nicely dressed woman in long skirt,
> boots and jacket "took the lane" ahead of him.
>
> All the riders seemed to really move along. Equipped
> with head and tail lights, they zipped along the sides
> of city streets making great progress.
>
> Finally, no "bicycling outfits"! They all seemed to
> be wearing fairly nice "go to work" clothes. No jerseys,
> no SPDs, no tights or leggings, and no helmets!
>
> They were simply [presumably] commuting to and from work
> by the seeming hundreds. Don't know if London has always
> had such a large bicycle commuting population or if this
> is the result of the city charging cars that come into
> town, but it was good to see.

England also has a relatively cool climate. Try wearing regular business
clothes while riding in summer in the northern US (or much of the year
in the southern US) and you will get totally soaked in sweat.

"the grinning buddy bear carries a fork." - g.d.

On Nov 17, 6:28 am, Stephen Harding <[email protected]> wrote:
> Spent a week in London last week and besides the
> fantastic public transport (Tube and bus), I was
> most impressed by the bicyclists of the city!
>
> They were everywhere!...
>
> Finally, no "bicycling outfits"! They all seemed to
> be wearing fairly nice "go to work" clothes. No jerseys,
> no SPDs, no tights or leggings, and no helmets!
>
> They were simply [presumably] commuting to and from work...

We saw the same thing on our ramble around Europe this summer.

My nephew was very impressed by the hundreds of sharp and shapely
women cycling everywhere, in very fashionable clothes. (Since I was
with my wife, I naturally didn't notice them. ;-)

And I was impressed by the businessmen, with briefcases and dress
suits, making their way home through the drizzle, umbrellas aloft.

In America, riding a bike for utility is considered extreme - not to
be attempted without protective gear, garish colors and a shower
immediately after. In Europe, riding a bike for utility is just
normal.

- Frank Krygowski

"Stephen Harding" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Spent a week in London last week and besides the
> fantastic public transport (Tube and bus), I was
> most impressed by the bicyclists of the city!

Well, as a Londoner I have my quarrels sometimes with Transport for
London, but there are good things going on, and cycling is booming,
much more so than the rest of Britain.

We do have wonderful taxi drivers, who are good at avoiding running
you down. In case of emergency, a taxi can carry a bike, at the same
cost as carrying a suitcase.

The free bike maps, covering all London, to the edge of the outermost
suburb - it takes 14 maps to do that. Just phone up the same number
as for bus or tube maps, or pick up the local map from a rack in any
tube station, library etc.

The best bike training in the world, often free or subsidised, for
adults or kids, from can't balance to advanced lane changing in
traffic, from several competing companies, with idiot safety zealots
firmly kept at bay. Hire your own personal trainer, if you want.

Reasonable provision for bikes on trains, and some of the tube (ok on
surface and shallow underground lines outside rush hour)

A leading candidate for the next mayoral election who is enough of a
cyclist to have had seven bikes stolen

Lots of scenic things to see as you ride around

The Tour de France

The "Freewheel" event. So popular, even though it's the first year,
that things broke down rather, and it was somewhat of a shambles, but
a great success anyway. Somewhere between 30 000 and 40 000 cyclists
seem to have turned up. This didn't bring the whole city to a halt,
nor did bikes overwhelm the trains, but then 40 000 cyclists is
pretty small compared to the number of weekday commuters.

The Mall, from Trafalgar Square to Buckingham Palace, closed to cars
every Sunday (but watch for wandering tourists)

Cambridge, an hour away by train, with a higher bike modal split than
Amsterdam. On the way there's Stevenage, the town that taught the
Dutch how to do things, where they built the bike path network first,
and then built the town round it. You get a better class of facility
that way.

And its on the dry side of Britain, with only half as much rain as
Washington DC

Jeremy Parker
London

On Nov 17, 9:04 am, [email protected] wrote:

> We saw the same thing on our ramble around Europe this summer.
>
> My nephew was very impressed by the hundreds of sharp and shapely
> women cycling everywhere, in very fashionable clothes. (Since I was
> with my wife, I naturally didn't notice them. ;-)

That makes me think of A.J. Liebling's great reporting on Paris after
the liberation, when he writes: "Among the bicyclists there are pretty
girls, their hair dressed high on their heads in what seems to be the
current mode here. These girls show legs of a length and slimness and
firmness and brownness never associated with French womanhood. Food
restrictions and the amount of bicycling that is necessary in getting
around in a big city without any other means of transportation have
endowed these girls with the best figures in the world, which they
will doubtless be glad to trade in for three square meals, plentiful
supplies of chocolate, and a seat in the family Citroën as soon as the
situation becomes more normal."

I guess he was wrong about the last bit. They're still out there
cycling. Over the past two or three years, I've noticed ever
increasing numbers of commuters in Chicago in street clothes, treating
the bicycle as a normal way of getting around, not as a sport you have
to dress for.

--
Paul Turner

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 11:28:55 +0000, Stephen Harding wrote:

> They were simply [presumably] commuting to and from work by the seeming
> hundreds. Don't know if London has always had such a large bicycle
> commuting population or if this is the result of the city charging cars
> that come into town, but it was good to see.

I was a graduate student in London for a year, and I commuted by
bicycle. I bought my bike from Re-Cycle by the Elephant & Castle
roundabout. I ended up spending a bit more for a bike with mudguards. A
few extra quid wasn't much of a price to pay for the luxury of not having
road muck thrown up on my back and in my face.

Central London is a cyclist's heaven: high traffic volume and tight
spaces keep total traffic speed down to the point that a cyclist is often
as fast or faster than all other traffic.

London cabbies also tend to regard cyclists fairly. They will give you
exactly the space you need--and not an inch more. It's sometimes tight
but always predictable.

The main thing in London was getting over the initial fear of riding and
learning the rules of the road. Once on the road, cycling in London was
pretty easy.

--
Luigi de Guzman
http://ouij.livejournal.com

x-posted from rec.bicycles.misc to uk.rec.cycling

Stephen Harding wrote:
> Spent a week in London last week and besides the
> fantastic public transport (Tube and bus), I was
> most impressed by the bicyclists of the city!
>
> They were everywhere!
>
> And they weren't timid souls poking along desperately
> trying to stay a few inches from the curb to
> accommodate speeding motor vehicles; they were right
> out in the lanes, moving back and forth for left and
> right turns, and in every since of the word, behaving
> like vehicles with a right to the road!
>
> Very impressive.
>
> The London motorists, while going quite fast IMHO,
> seemed to be very tolerant of the bicyclists as well,
> so kudos to them too.
>
> I saw only one occasion where a Mercedes laid on the
> horn when a very nicely dressed woman in long skirt,
> boots and jacket "took the lane" ahead of him.
>
> All the riders seemed to really move along. Equipped
> with head and tail lights, they zipped along the sides
> of city streets making great progress.
>
> Finally, no "bicycling outfits"! They all seemed to
> be wearing fairly nice "go to work" clothes. No jerseys,
> no SPDs, no tights or leggings, and no helmets!

This is completely different to the impression of cyclist you will read
about in the British press. The popular impression is that we all cycle
without lights, on the footpath, always jumping red lights and
deliberately holding up (already queuing) motorised traffic.

> They were simply [presumably] commuting to and from work
> by the seeming hundreds. Don't know if London has always
> had such a large bicycle commuting population or if this
> is the result of the city charging cars that come into
> town, but it was good to see.

> Finally, no "bicycling outfits"! They all seemed to
> > be wearing fairly nice "go to work" clothes. No jerseys,
> > no SPDs, no tights or leggings, and no helmets!

I find this a bit surprising, perhaps he went in nice weather .

While those whose journey is short may wear their office clothes, I
always wear tough cycle clothes for a full length commute, especially
through town in winter.You'd look like a bundle of tattered rags after
a week of 20mile days in a 2 piece suit.I suppose being a merkin he
may mistake the commuting outfit for normal dress.
Is it true that most of the london commuters are wearing their day
clothes?
TerryJ

> Spent a week in London last week and besides the
> fantastic public transport (Tube and bus), I was
> most impressed by the bicyclists of the city!
>
> They were everywhere!
>
> And they weren't timid souls poking along desperately
> trying to stay a few inches from the curb to
> accommodate speeding motor vehicles; they were right
> out in the lanes, moving back and forth for left and
> right turns, and in every since of the word, behaving
> like vehicles with a right to the road!
>
> Very impressive.
>
> The London motorists, while going quite fast IMHO,
> seemed to be very tolerant of the bicyclists as well,
> so kudos to them too.
>
> I saw only one occasion where a Mercedes laid on the
> horn when a very nicely dressed woman in long skirt,
> boots and jacket "took the lane" ahead of him.
>
> All the riders seemed to really move along. Equipped
> with head and tail lights, they zipped along the sides
> of city streets making great progress.
>
> Finally, no "bicycling outfits"! They all seemed to
> be wearing fairly nice "go to work" clothes. No jerseys,
> no SPDs, no tights or leggings, and no helmets!
>
> They were simply [presumably] commuting to and from work
> by the seeming hundreds. Don't know if London has always
> had such a large bicycle commuting population or if this
> is the result of the city charging cars that come into
> town, but it was good to see.
>

> SMH

If you see her,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/59378170@N00/499829653/in/photostream/, pls say
hi for me.

On Nov 20, 11:09 pm, TerryJ <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Finally, no "bicycling outfits"! They all seemed to

> > > be wearing fairly nice "go to work" clothes. No jerseys,
> > > no SPDs, no tights or leggings, and no helmets!

> I find this a bit surprising, perhaps he went in nice weather .
>
> While those whose journey is short may wear their office clothes, I
> always wear tough cycle clothes for a full length commute, especially
> through town in winter.You'd look like a bundle of tattered rags after
> a week of 20mile days in a 2 piece suit.I suppose being a merkin he
> may mistake the commuting outfit for normal dress.
> Is it true that most of the london commuters are wearing their day
> clothes?
> TerryJ

IME no but I suspect your impression varies a great deal depending on
the time, location and road type on which you make you observations

best wishes
james

TerryJ wrote:
> > Finally, no "bicycling outfits"! They all seemed to
>>> be wearing fairly nice "go to work" clothes. No jerseys,
>>> no SPDs, no tights or leggings, and no helmets!

> I find this a bit surprising, perhaps he went in nice weather .
>
> While those whose journey is short may wear their office clothes, I
> always wear tough cycle clothes for a full length commute, especially
> through town in winter.You'd look like a bundle of tattered rags after
> a week of 20mile days in a 2 piece suit.I suppose being a merkin he
> may mistake the commuting outfit for normal dress.
> Is it true that most of the london commuters are wearing their day
> clothes?
> TerryJ

And no-one serious cycles without SPDs :)

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> IME no but I suspect your impression varies a great deal depending on
> the time, location and road type on which you make you observations

go down to my comment on gardening