My hate for Presta valves led me here, so hello

BizarroMantis

May 28, 2012
Hello all....I live in Denver, Colorado. I'm currently training for my first century in about a month. I don't own a fancy bike. Hey don't judge me! :p My presta valves infuriate me and I was happy to see I'm not the only one that is angry about their uselessness. Anyway, I'm happy to be here.

Presta valves are simpler and (in my experience) less likely to collect a bunch of gunk if you lose the cap, potentially causing the valve to stick.

On the other hand if you break off the screw down valve center post when attaching you pump it ruins the tube. I've done this and ended up walking the bike home for 12 miles. The alternative, and the remedy to this problem is to get a Prest to Schrader valve adaptor available at any bike shop for about $1.00. Weight weenies need not apply!

A few tricks to make your life with presta valve happier.

1. Back the threads on the valve stem half way open. Some inflators get blocked if the lock nut is backed all the way out.

2. Depress the valve by hand for a second to free it up before ataching your inflator.

3. Practice these new skills at home before going out on a ride.

I hate crunchy onions in home fries that haven't been cooked long enough.

p38lightning said:
On the other hand if you break off the screw down valve center post when attaching you pump it ruins the tube. I've done this and ended up walking the bike home for 12 miles. The alternative, and the remedy to this problem is to get a Prest to Schrader valve adaptor available at any bike shop for about $1.00. Weight weenies need not apply!
Just by tubes that come with removable cores in the presta valves.