My Head is Spinning Hellp me Spend My Money Please

beltabout

May 31, 2005
Looks like this question has been asked before but here goes again. I am in England and I ride about 80 miles every week split into 3 shorter rides and one long ride. I am getting fitter and leaner. I have a 13 year old rigid frame Raleigh which is now showing it’s age and creaking like an old man, each time I replace parts the last less time so it is time to change. I wan to buy a new bike for the stuff I am doing I think a hard tail is the right chose, that is the easy bit done! Which hard tail? I have a decent budget but cannot imagine spending more than £800.

Who gets my money? I am planning on entering some long distance rides next year and would like some thing that I can ride on the coast-to-coast or Isle of Man end-to-end 70 plus km events.

I feel completely overawed by the bikes out there, can some one share with me their experiences of riding bikes between the £500 and £800 (I am willing to by last years bargain reduced model) prices so that I may be able to narrow down the choice a bit.

I do not mind tinkering and am quite competent now, but I want a bike that will not need rebuilding each and every week.

You advice is most gratefully welcomed

Kind regards

Nick

beltabout said:
Looks like this question has been asked before but here goes again. I am in England and I ride about 80 miles every week split into 3 shorter rides and one long ride. I am getting fitter and leaner. I have a 13 year old rigid frame Raleigh which is now showing it’s age and creaking like an old man, each time I replace parts the last less time so it is time to change. I wan to buy a new bike for the stuff I am doing I think a hard tail is the right chose, that is the easy bit done! Which hard tail? I have a decent budget but cannot imagine spending more than £800.

Who gets my money? I am planning on entering some long distance rides next year and would like some thing that I can ride on the coast-to-coast or Isle of Man end-to-end 70 plus km events.

I feel completely overawed by the bikes out there, can some one share with me their experiences of riding bikes between the £500 and £800 (I am willing to by last years bargain reduced model) prices so that I may be able to narrow down the choice a bit.

I do not mind tinkering and am quite competent now, but I want a bike that will not need rebuilding each and every week.

You advice is most gratefully welcomed

Kind regards

Nick
If your looking at doing 70km events then i would definatly consider a short travel full sus endro style bike.800 quid gets you a hole lot of bike these days.why not try taking one out on a test ride.If it is definatly a hard tail you want i would probably go for a steel frame if your going to ride long events Dave Hinde make some realy good steel frames i will try to find the web site for you.

Hi

I just bought a Specialized Stumpjumper. I use it mainly for commuting and weekend joy riding. It's light, accelerates and goes like the clappers :) feels great.
The difference to my 8year old rigid bike is unbelievable!

Stand outs for me are the bb7 mech disks and the front fork which is is ace for bumps and potholes at full speed :p With semi slicks it feels like it goes 2x faster again. :)

I considered bikes from Trek, Orbea, Kona and Felt. In the end I am glad I went with the originial :p

Definatly don't rush it. its a lot of fun shopping around learning about bits and parts. You know youre ready when you know what you want :)