My heart does this weird thing and I don't know what it is...

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Leonessa, Sep 25, 2003.

  1. Leonessa

    Leonessa Guest

    Hi all.

    I'm 22 years old, and for the past 7 years or so, I've gotten this
    weird thing that happens with my heart. It's kind of hard to explain,
    but I'll do my best. It's beating fine and all of a sudden, it feels
    like it's beating hard and I can't breathe. It only lasts about 10
    seconds, but while it happens it's VERY scary...and I feel like if
    it's going to go on any longer I'm going to pass out.

    A few years ago, I saw a doctor about this and she gave me an EKG.
    Everything came out fine. But earlier today, it happened again, and
    it was the worst one I've had. It lasted longer and it was a little
    painful...and definitely scary.

    When I saw my doctor, she seemed unconcerned. Especially since the
    EKG was normal. My heart rate is about 80 now (about two years ago my
    resting heart rate was 110, but it's better now) and the doctor did
    mention that my heart kept double beating. But like I said, she
    didn't seem concerned, and she just sent me home.

    Is this something I should worry about?

    Thanks.

  2. Leonessa wrote:

    > Hi all.
    >
    > I'm 22 years old, and for the past 7 years or so, I've gotten this
    > weird thing that happens with my heart. It's kind of hard to explain,
    > but I'll do my best. It's beating fine and all of a sudden, it feels
    > like it's beating hard and I can't breathe. It only lasts about 10
    > seconds, but while it happens it's VERY scary...and I feel like if
    > it's going to go on any longer I'm going to pass out.
    >
    > A few years ago, I saw a doctor about this and she gave me an EKG.
    > Everything came out fine. But earlier today, it happened again, and
    > it was the worst one I've had. It lasted longer and it was a little
    > painful...and definitely scary.
    >
    > When I saw my doctor, she seemed unconcerned. Especially since the
    > EKG was normal. My heart rate is about 80 now (about two years ago my
    > resting heart rate was 110, but it's better now) and the doctor did
    > mention that my heart kept double beating. But like I said, she
    > didn't seem concerned, and she just sent me home.
    >
    > Is this something I should worry about?
    >
    > Thanks.

    You should ask your doctor for a referral to a cardiologist (doctor that
    specializes in heart problems).

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist

  3. Bill

    Bill Guest

    "Leonessa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi all.
    >
    > I'm 22 years old, and for the past 7 years or so, I've gotten this
    > weird thing that happens with my heart. It's kind of hard to explain,
    > but I'll do my best. It's beating fine and all of a sudden, it feels
    > like it's beating hard and I can't breathe. It only lasts about 10
    > seconds, but while it happens it's VERY scary...and I feel like if
    > it's going to go on any longer I'm going to pass out.
    >
    > A few years ago, I saw a doctor about this and she gave me an EKG.
    > Everything came out fine. But earlier today, it happened again, and
    > it was the worst one I've had. It lasted longer and it was a little
    > painful...and definitely scary.
    >
    > When I saw my doctor, she seemed unconcerned. Especially since the
    > EKG was normal. My heart rate is about 80 now (about two years ago my
    > resting heart rate was 110, but it's better now) and the doctor did
    > mention that my heart kept double beating. But like I said, she
    > didn't seem concerned, and she just sent me home.
    >
    > Is this something I should worry about?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Hopefully someone who knows more about this sort of thing than I do will
    respond, but one possibility you might consider is hyperventilation and/or
    panic/anxiety attack.

    Bill

  4. Leonessa

    Leonessa Guest

    "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Hopefully someone who knows more about this sort of thing than I do will
    > respond, but one possibility you might consider is hyperventilation and/or
    > panic/anxiety attack.
    >
    > Bill

    No, it's definitely not an anxiety attack.

  5. Leonessa

    Leonessa Guest

    "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > You should ask your doctor for a referral to a cardiologist (doctor that
    > specializes in heart problems).

    Okay, thanks. Does it sound like anything serious?

  6. Leonessa wrote:

    > "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    > > You should ask your doctor for a referral to a cardiologist (doctor that
    > > specializes in heart problems).

    > Okay, thanks. Does it sound like anything serious?

    Really not enough information to be certain.