My helmet was stolen earlier this week

James Shugg

Guest
I have been commuting from Covent Garden to the City for three years now, never had an accident, but
of course I always wear a helmet.

Even though its only a 12-15 minute ride, in the summer when I arrive at the office I burst into a
head sweat.

But this Monday, I had to ride in hatless. No sweat on arrival. Same after the ride home. Missed the
bike shop by 5 minutes, so I had to ride in on Tuesday without a hat too. Again, no sweat on
arrival, even though the lights were in my favour and I made the journey from Drury Lane as far as
Bank before I had to stop.

Honestly, I have never ridden my bike without a helmet until this week, but I must say it is so much
nicer to have the wind in my hair.

Anyway, I am going to get another hat asap, but am wondering if anyone knows of a better ventilated
(but still sturdy) one than the Met I was using?

Cheers, James

[email protected] (James Shugg) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> I have been commuting from Covent Garden to the City for three years now, never had an accident,
> but of course I always wear a helmet.

Of course? You're likely to get an earful saying things like that around here.

> Anyway, I am going to get another hat asap, but am wondering if anyone knows of a better
> ventilated (but still sturdy) one than the Met I was using?

Rudy Project make one without a hard shell that's quite popular among roadies who want some
protection but dislike standard helmets. I've seen continental professionals wearing them too. It
looks a bit like an oversized cap turned backwards. I'm not sure how much good it would do you in a
conflict with a motor vehicle, but then I'd say the same thing about a standard helmet. Take a look
at http://www.rudyproject.com.my/product_menu_cyc01_str.html .

--
Dave...

I have a Briko, fantastic cooling system.

> [email protected] (James Shugg) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
>> I have been commuting from Covent Garden to the City for three years now, never had an accident,
>> but of course I always wear a helmet.
>
> Of course? You're likely to get an earful saying things like that around here.
>
>> Anyway, I am going to get another hat asap, but am wondering if anyone knows of a better
>> ventilated (but still sturdy) one than the Met I was using?
>
> Rudy Project make one without a hard shell that's quite popular among roadies who want some
> protection but dislike standard helmets. I've seen continental professionals wearing them too. It
> looks a bit like an oversized cap turned backwards. I'm not sure how much good it would do you in
> a conflict with a motor vehicle, but then I'd say the same thing about a standard helmet. Take a
> look at http://www.rudyproject.com.my/product_menu_cyc01_str.html .
>
> --
> Dave...

had a met 5th element for couple of months now and it is the coolest ive ever had, so cool in fact
that i can feel rain drops hiting my head!i assume it passes all the usual test and looks sturdy -
just airy!

panda

James Shugg wrote:
> I have been commuting from Covent Garden to the City for three years now, never had an accident,
> but of course I always wear a helmet.
>
> Even though its only a 12-15 minute ride, in the summer when I arrive at the office I burst into a
> head sweat.
>
> But this Monday, I had to ride in hatless. No sweat on arrival. Same after the ride home. Missed
> the bike shop by 5 minutes, so I had to ride in on Tuesday without a hat too. Again, no sweat on
> arrival, even though the lights were in my favour and I made the journey from Drury Lane as far as
> Bank before I had to stop.
>
> Honestly, I have never ridden my bike without a helmet until this week, but I must say it is so
> much nicer to have the wind in my hair.
>
> Anyway, I am going to get another hat asap, but am wondering if anyone knows of a better
> ventilated (but still sturdy) one than the Met I was using?
>
> Cheers, James

[email protected] (martin) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Has anyone found that recumbents have a benificial effect on pumelled knees caused by years of
> upright riding ?.

Oops - wrong newsgroup! Set follow-ups to uk.rec.cycling not uk.railway - hope this helps.

David E. Belcher

Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 15:07:16 +0100, Ian <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have a Briko, fantastic cooling system.
>

>> [email protected] (James Shugg) wrote in message
>> news:<[email protected]>...
>>
>>> I have been commuting from Covent Garden to the City for three years now, never had an accident,
>>> but of course I always wear a helmet.
>>
>> Of course? You're likely to get an earful saying things like that around here.
>>
>>> Anyway, I am going to get another hat asap, but am wondering if anyone knows of a better
>>> ventilated (but still sturdy) one than the Met I was using?
>>
>> Rudy Project make one without a hard shell that's quite popular among roadies who want some
>> protection but dislike standard helmets. I've seen continental professionals wearing them too. It
>> looks a bit like an oversized cap turned backwards. I'm not sure how much good it would do you in
>> a conflict with a motor vehicle, but then I'd say the same thing about a standard helmet. Take a
>> look at http://www.rudyproject.com.my/product_menu_cyc01_str.html .
>>
>> --
>> Dave...

I get round the sweaty head problem by not wearing a hat or helmet. Simple, really. Cannot see any
benefit to them except to give aged female relatives the opportunity to say "...on that bike, you
*do* wear a helmet, of course, don't you?"

20 years ago my best mate died from head injuries after falling from his bicycle while touring in
the lakes, I've worn one ever since.

Ian

[email protected] (James Shugg) wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Honestly, I have never ridden my bike without a helmet until this week, but I must say it is so
> much nicer to have the wind in my hair.

When I returned to cycing a few years ago I bought a helmet because I thought it the correct thing
to do. It was too hot in the summer and too cool in the winter.

One sunny day I left it at home, and haven't used it since.

Toby

--
Remove spamtrap to reply by mail

Ian <[email protected]> wrote in news:BB0F3951.511F%[email protected]:

> 20 years ago my best mate died from head injuries after falling from his bicycle while touring in
> the lakes, I've worn one ever since.

And my grandmother dies from head injuries after falling down the stairs. I've worn a helmet
whenever climbing stair since....

Toby

--
Remove spamtrap to reply by mail

> Rudy Project make one without a hard shell that's quite popular among roadies who want some
> protection but dislike standard helmets.

Helmets without a hard shell were quite popular about 15 years ago. Actually, the present day hard
shells are not designed to be "hard" in the sense of providing protection. They are just a thin skin
to avoid friction when the helmet slides along the road.

The previous non shelled helmets, usually styrofaom with a detachable nylon cover, or just the
styrofoam alone, tended not to slide along concrete. They tended to stick to the road, jerking your
head back, and breaking your neck. That's not really what you want from a helmet.

It's only the very first bike helmets, the original Bell, and others of that time, that had hard
shells. The hard shells have gone because the were essentially useless. After all, if the shell
really is hard, hitting your head on the shell has just about the same effect as hitting your head
on a hard road.

It's the styrofoam which (you hope) does the job, by slowing you down gradually (if a 300g
deceleration is slow) hopefully having slowed you down enough by the time the foam has fully crushed

Jeremy Parker

Ian <[email protected]> wrote:

> 20 years ago my best mate died from head injuries after falling from his bicycle while touring in
> the lakes, I've worn one ever since.
>
> Ian
>
> > From: "[Not Responding]" <[email protected]> Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling Date: Thu,
> > 12 Jun 2003 22:40:56 +0100 Subject: Re: My helmet was stolen earlier this week
> >

> > I get round the sweaty head problem by not wearing a hat or helmet. Simple, really. Cannot see
> > any benefit to them except to give aged female relatives the opportunity to say "...on that
> > bike, you *do* wear a helmet, of course, don't you?"

And have you fallen off your bike yet?

--
Marc Stickers,decals,membership,cards, T shirts, signs etc for clubs and associations of all types.
http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

I assume that is supposed to be humorous, somehow I missed the joke.

Ian

Ian <[email protected]> wrote in news:BB0F7F42.5234%[email protected]:
>> From: Toby Barrett <[email protected]> Ian <[email protected]> wrote in
>> news:BB0F3951.511F%[email protected]:
>>
>>> 20 years ago my best mate died from head injuries after falling from his bicycle while touring
>>> in the lakes, I've worn one ever since.
>>
>> And my grandmother died from head injuries after falling down the stairs. I've worn a helmet
>> whenever climbing stairs since....
>
> I assume that is supposed to be humorous, somehow I missed the joke.
>
> Ian

No it was not meant to be humourous. My grandmother really did die from head injuries after falling
down stairs.

I was pointing out that this is not generally considered a good reason to don protective gear
when climbing stairs. I wonder why another activity usually undertaken without mishap requires
helmet wearing?

Toby

--
Remove spamtrap to reply by mail

I don't generally climb the stairs travelling at between 20 and 30 mph, while sharing the space with
cars, trucks and busses. I have only ever fallen off a motorcycle 3 times, the last time, my helmet
saved my life, I was doing 45mph, I can get up to 45mph on the flat on my bicycle. When my friend
was killed it is possible that a helmet may have saved his life, if it had I suspect his father
would still be alive now instead of slipping into years of depression before dying a broken man, and
his mother would not be living her old age out alone in a 3 bedroom house that she feels unable to
give up because it is the "family" home. I choose to wear a helmet not just because of what it can
do to help me but because I have seen the effects death has on families. I think that is good enough
reasoning for me.

Ian <[email protected]> wrote in news:BB0F8369.523B%[email protected]:

> I don't generally climb the stairs travelling at between 20 and 30 mph, while sharing the space
> with cars, trucks and busses. I have only ever fallen off a motorcycle 3 times, the last time, my
> helmet saved my life, I was doing 45mph, I can get up to 45mph on the flat on my bicycle. When my
> friend was killed it is possible that a helmet may have saved his life, if it had I suspect his
> father would still be alive now instead of slipping into years of depression before dying a broken
> man, and his mother would not be living her old age out alone in a 3 bedroom house that she feels
> unable to give up because it is the "family" home. I choose to wear a helmet not just because of
> what it can do to help me but because I have seen the effects death has on families. I think that
> is good enough reasoning for me.

I apologise. I seem to have upset you. I did not mean to make light of your friend's death; as I
said my comment was not intended to be humorous.

I was making a point about the usefullness of cycle helmets, and the special place they seem to have
in common perception of what is essential safety equipment. Maybe this was out of place.

Toby

--

"Ian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BB0F8369.523B%[email protected]...

> I don't generally climb the stairs travelling at between 20 and 30 mph, while sharing the space
> with cars, trucks and busses.

Bicycle helmets are designed to provide some protection in falls up to about 12mph.

A greater proportion of motorist fatalities than cyclist fatalities are due to head injury. Do you
wear one in the car?

These are not reasons for not wearing a lid, just reasons for not being overconfident about their
effect. It is absolutely not possible to say with confidence that a helmet would have prevented any
given injury or fatality, or in a case where a helmet is worn and injury is avoided, whether there
would have been significant injury had a helmet not been worn. No evidence anywhere has actually
proved any significant link between helmet wearing and reductions in injuries or fatalities.

This is partly due to a shortage of cyclists willing to go back and repeat the experiment with and
without helmets under controlled conditions :)

--
Guy
===

Sorry Toby, I didn't mean to go off on one, I was just trying to show the reason I choose to wear
one, people should make their own choice, I've made mine, I do not always wear one when I'm on the
trike, but always on the bike.

Ian

> From: Toby Barrett <[email protected]> Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling Date: 13 Jun 2003
> 12:56:11 GMT Subject: Re: My helmet was stolen earlier this week
>
> Ian <[email protected]> wrote in news:BB0F8369.523B%[email protected]:
>
>> I don't generally climb the stairs travelling at between 20 and 30 mph, while sharing the space
>> with cars, trucks and busses. I have only ever fallen off a motorcycle 3 times, the last time, my
>> helmet saved my life, I was doing 45mph, I can get up to 45mph on the flat on my bicycle. When my
>> friend was killed it is possible that a helmet may have saved his life, if it had I suspect his
>> father would still be alive now instead of slipping into years of depression before dying a
>> broken man, and his mother would not be living her old age out alone in a 3 bedroom house that
>> she feels unable to give up because it is the "family" home. I choose to wear a helmet not just
>> because of what it can do to help me but because I have seen the effects death has on families. I
>> think that is good enough reasoning for me.
>
> I apologise. I seem to have upset you. I did not mean to make light of your friend's death; as I
> said my comment was not intended to be humorous.
>
> I was making a point about the usefullness of cycle helmets, and the special place they seem to
> have in common perception of what is essential safety equipment. Maybe this was out of place.
>
> Toby
>
> --
> Remove spamtrap to reply by mail

I think you have come up with the perfect addition to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, reduced
sentencing for those who volunteer to be cycle crash test dummies. There is no point in bringing the
old argument about to wear or not wear a helmet out of its closet, I have made my choice for the
reasons stated, other people have to make their own mind up, my choice is set in stone.

Ian

p.s. I'm not about to become some sort of pro helmet crusader.

Ian wrote:
> I think you have come up with the perfect addition to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, reduced
> sentencing for those who volunteer to be cycle crash test dummies.

Or maybe just give them a choice between "crash test dummy" or "goolies cut off" :)

> There is no point in bringing the old argument about to wear or not wear a helmet out of its
> closet, I have made my choice for the reasons stated, other people have to make their own mind up,
> my choice is set in stone.

My choice about certain safety features was set in stone until I had my face set in plaster
as a result.

--
Jim Price

http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

>"Ian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BB0F8369.523B%[email protected]...
>
>> I don't generally climb the stairs travelling at between 20 and 30 mph, while sharing the space
>> with cars, trucks and busses.
>
>Bicycle helmets are designed to provide some protection in falls up to about 12mph.

Interesting.

Last year when I cycled the Raid Pyrenean I kept my helmet in my rear pannier on the ascents and
wore it on the descents and on the flat. My reasoning was that I wasn't likely to have a crash while
cycling up a mountain at 3 - 4 mph, but 40 - 50 mph descents were a real danger.

Perhaps it should have been the other way around.
--
remove remove to reply