My home made HID light mount.

In aus.bicycle on Sun, 31 Dec 2006 11:23:47 +0800
Friday <[email protected]> wrote:
> I made up a bracket for my Trailtech HID light. It's a bit rough but you
> can view it here.
>
> http://www.hyperactive.oz.nf/Light5/Light5.htm

I haven't seen Terracycle's new mount noted here although it's been
all over the recumbent forums.

http://www.terracycle.com (because as you can see the URLs are ugly)
and try accessory mounts.

http://www.terracycle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=T&Category_Code=Acmts

Of course they aren't as cheap as home made :)

Zebee

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 11:23:47 +0800, Friday wrote:

> I made up a bracket for my Trailtech HID light. It's a bit rough but you
> can view it here.
>
> http://www.hyperactive.oz.nf/Light5/Light5.htm

My only comment would be that I've had problems with mounting stuff offset
from the center of gravity - with two clamps you're probably OK, but give
it a good test blat before you rely on it, otherwise you could have a
really good view of your hub as you plough into an unlit tree.

I got given an Echowell HRM for Xmas and it came with a bike mount that
looks suspiciously like a Trailtech-mount-to-be.

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
"I've found that nurturing one's Zen nature is vital to dealing with

Dave Hughes wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 11:23:47 +0800, Friday wrote:
>
>> I made up a bracket for my Trailtech HID light. It's a bit rough but you
>> can view it here.
>>
>> http://www.hyperactive.oz.nf/Light5/Light5.htm

> My only comment would be that I've had problems with mounting stuff offset
> from the center of gravity - with two clamps you're probably OK, but give
> it a good test blat before you rely on it, otherwise you could have a
> really good view of your hub as you plough into an unlit tree.

I've been using it for about six months without any problems.

Friday

Rob wrote:
> Friday wrote:
>
>> I made up a bracket for my Trailtech HID light. It's a bit rough but
>> you can view it here.
>>
>> http://www.hyperactive.oz.nf/Light5/Light5.htm

> These are excellent to mount all sorts of accessories. and make lights.
>
> http://www.stauffusa.com/customer/stcorp/catalog/clamps.htm
>
> Can't find the au site.
>
> Available in Australia about $2.50 complete clamp (2 halves, 2
> bolts,plates or any combination,) can be stacked etc.

I used one of those clamps on an earlier version of my twin Luxeon
headlights.

http://www.hyperactive.oz.nf/Lights3/Luxeon3.htm

The last two pictures show it.

Friday

On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 20:26:59 +0800, Friday wrote:

> I've been using it for about six months without any problems.

Ah, good. It's just that one light I built worked fine for commuting, but
then died horribly the first time I took it seriously off-road. As did
about 3 or 4 things on the bike in rapid succession IIRC. That wasn't a
good night.

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of

Friday wrote:
> I made up a bracket for my Trailtech HID light. It's a bit rough but you
> can view it here.
>
> http://www.hyperactive.oz.nf/Light5/Light5.htm

I think that I'd use a rail clamp base
"http://www.driftmaster.com/Bases.html".

The Lil' Pro has a 3/8" threaded hole, while the TrailTech web site says
that the light requires a 3/8" hole, so it's not clear what the
threading of the bolt on the TrailTech is. Worst case, you bolt a small
rectangle of aluminum onto the rail clamp, which would also allow the
wire to come out through the bolt hole.

SMS said:
Friday wrote:
> I made up a bracket for my Trailtech HID light. It's a bit rough but you
> can view it here.
>
> http://www.hyperactive.oz.nf/Light5/Light5.htm

I think that I'd use a rail clamp base
"http://www.driftmaster.com/Bases.html".

The Lil' Pro has a 3/8" threaded hole, while the TrailTech web site says
that the light requires a 3/8" hole, so it's not clear what the
threading of the bolt on the TrailTech is. Worst case, you bolt a small
rectangle of aluminum onto the rail clamp, which would also allow the
wire to come out through the bolt hole.
I've used similar rail clamps for mounting pannier racks and for a map holder, so I'm sure one could be adapted for a light mount. I sourced them from a Marine supply shop in Elizabeth St, Melb for about $9 a pair.

For light mounts I've used reflector brackets.