My illegal cycling activities

ScottishDan

Jul 26, 2005
This is a follow on thread from the "oregon manslaughter cyclist" who I believe is an idiot and deserves what he gets, however I'm fully aware that as a cyclist, I do take certain liberties. Here's my list of everyday naughty activities. Add to this list and tell me if I'm bad..

1. Cycling home from the pub ******
2. Using pedestrian crossings
3. Using pavements (occasionally but responsibly)

Applying the "White Border Rule" to stop signs.
I'll occasionally jump a red light if there aren't any cars coming, but that's more to give some extra space to the cars behind me than to get anywhere faster.

ScottishDan said:
This is a follow on thread from the "oregon manslaughter cyclist" who I believe is an idiot and deserves what he gets, however I'm fully aware that as a cyclist, I do take certain liberties. Here's my list of everyday naughty activities. Add to this list and tell me if I'm bad..

hmm 1.. i wouldnt do as it is so dumb it dont even need an answer lol

2.. yep i use em too hehe why not,,,,

3.. in london we have to sometimes or we wont get anywhere... but responsibly tho...

ScottishDan said:

Cycling home ****** is a perilous challenge. I did it once and was weaving all over the road. I had to climb a hill to get home too. It was like the biked moved left or right two seconds before i could realise. I almost hit 3 parked cars. Fookin mental.

ScottishDan said:
1> only hardcore if done in the dark, on the way back to campsite, with cattlegrids and ditches. Only one light permitted between 4 cyclists (Ely workcamp Aug 2005).

2> all the time, especially where they need to be toucan crossings

3> responsibly is good, using offroad footpaths responsibly is also ok, as long as "didn't know we weren't allowed to use them" line is well rehearsed

riding while drunk is funny huh?

well sorry dont see it any different from some joker in a car drunk driving... you pose just as much danger as he does..

you would soon moan ya nuts off if the drunk driver knocked you off landing you in hospital...

definitely not funny...
as for off road footpaths well use em dont worry about the rehearsed line... nobody actually owns the land it kinda grew there in the first place... was there millions of yrs ago and will be in more to come..

bloody farmers...

i used to cycle home from the pub when slightly rubbery,

i do jump the occassional red light when there is no one around..(if i killed someone i would expect to go to jail however)

i occasionally cycle in the dark without lights

and i cycle in 'private property'...rich country estates that think they own the world.

ScottishDan said:

1. Bad? No. Good fun? YES!!! Last time I did that, I clipped just about every car wingmirror with my handlebars and crashed head-on into a lamp-post. I was fascinated by watching the lights reflect off my spokes!!!:D
2. I do that every day. I can't be arsed waiting for a gap in the traffic.:D
3. I do that too. Speed up when you see a bunch of baseball cap/shellsuit bottoms/dirty white trainers and socks halfway up their **** wearing teenagers and watch them **** themselves.:D :D :D

Call me imature, but I'm 29 and I ride a bike for fun, maturity has f@ck-all to do with it!!!:p

penguinonabike said:
riding while drunk is funny huh?

well sorry dont see it any different from some joker in a car drunk driving... you pose just as much danger as he does..

Daft nutjob. Not a great idea but hardly as dangerous to others as drink driving.

MountainPro said:
i used to cycle home from the pub when slightly rubbery,

i do jump the occassional red light when there is no one around..(if i killed someone i would expect to go to jail however)

i occasionally cycle in the dark without lights

and i cycle in 'private property'...rich country estates that think they own the world.
Red lights? Stops signs? ... it is fairly rural here and till I get to town, I dont bother stopping much if no one is in sight.

I dont drink much anymore ... so semper sober :eek:

If traffic is held up two blocks away on a red light, why not to cross?

penguinonabike said:
as for off road footpaths well use em dont worry about the rehearsed line... nobody actually owns the land it kinda grew there in the first place... was there millions of yrs ago and will be in more to come..

bloody farmers...
Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. All land in the British Isles is owned, be it the farmer, the government, private investors or big companies. Most of the moors around Rivington up here in't north are owned by United Utilities who supply gas, electric and water.

ScottishDan said:

I've ridden home ****** when too drunk to stand. I got away with it, and thank my lucky stars; these days I use public transport, taxi or walk.
There is no advantage to be gained in using pedestrian crossings. If I had to, I'd dismount.
Pavements are worse than the road. A few yards in exceptional circumstances, giving way to everyone. Usually dismout if not able to use the road.

My brother rode part way home from work at a pub high... He never made it.

I suspect if alcohol had been his drug of choice he wouldn't have made it either.

artmichalek said:
Applying the "White Border Rule" to stop signs.
I'll occasionally jump a red light if there aren't any cars coming, but that's more to give some extra space to the cars behind me than to get anywhere faster.

Here in Chicago the police say they are gonna start ticketing cyclists who commit traffic violations

Hey, if you can catch me...YOU CAN HAVE ME!

The local cops here in West Chester are getting some hybrids for police patrol and such.

I knew they where hot on my trail .... but those guys are the powerlifter type, a little on the fat side, with a 40 pound plus bike.

I should tease them into racing ... just like smokey & the bandit!

I slip through red lights and stop signs all the time, but I cycle in a rural area.

Where I like to ride, it's flat, and there 's nothing but cotton fields (no trees) for miles and miles around. You can see cars coming from about four miles away, so it's pretty safe to coast through the intersections.

1- walk the bike home when ******. Good chance to get sober before facing the wrath of god, I mean, my lovely wife.

2 - just about all ped crossings in Japan have lanes marked for bicycles. It's wonderful.

3 - here you are treated as a bit of a nutter if you ride on the *road*. Pavement trundling is the norm. From the perspective of the law, either is cool, so this is nice.

Never stop at stop signs or lights unless I have to. They were designed for cars. Having said that, I never barrel through without slowing right down to walking pace.