My Intro and bike story

Fourlegsgood2wheelsbad

Jul 27, 2022
Hello fellow cyclists. 58 year old male.
I'm back after 26 year absence from cycling. (Short of a few rides on a coaster bike)
Major life events took away my pursuit of road & MTB . So sure I would not ride again, had long ago gave away my MTB and road bike. Back in the saddle again, was given a REI 1.1 by a friend several months ago.

After a re-fit and addition of bar ends , removed racks ect- I had something to ride. Been slowly raising saddle to the right height and working on my spin. The bike is solid for the steep roads in this county. But a bit heavy. Looking at the cost to upgrade a few parts, I found I could actually buy a good used road bike with the same money. So 3 weeks ago I found a 2018 SCOTT Speedster for $200.00 about 22.5 lbs. Sure this is a bit heavy , but will do for the time being. My old road bike was about 19.5 lbs quite good I thought in 1996.
No real budget for cycling , but was able to get a pair of look style pedals and shoes. Is what I ran back then , and love the design. Have only been out a few times on the road bike , being mainly running. Had started running in April and just cant stop.

Looking forward to advice and learning about equipment and changes in cycling since my last involvement. All I had was magazines , books and talking to other riders .Had no web back then . Prefer to do my own mechanical work , and did some repair on the side. Built wheels for a bit local bike shop when in HS , enjoy wrenching on bikes.

My "bike story" is recent , was riding the Hybrid and got moving pretty good against the wind a week or two back . Said to myself " go for the drops" - well I did and there was no drops on that bike. Was too in the moment , it just felt so right to assume that position . I found myself holding up my trunk up unsupported , I scrambled to get hands up on the bar. Was over before I could panic. Could have ended bad and felt really dumb after that.
I credit my well-trained abs for the save.

Fourlegsgood2wheelsbad

Mr. Beanz

Aug 18, 2015
I guess my technique is a little better and safer. I go for the drops one at a time.

Fourlegsgood2wheelsbad

Jul 27, 2022
Thanks for the reply to my post Mr. Beanz! I will go over and check out your blog after this post.
I certainly agree , going for them one at a time would have been logical. I thought about the incident several times since , while in the "rest position" I feel like I can almost go up a gear and cadence rises noticeably when I put my elbows on the bar. The steering is a little sketchy , I wouldn't want to spend much time in that position . I use it often on way back from marina in the afternoons -there is a ferocious headwind for most of the several mile jaunt.

Fourlegsgood2wheelsbad

kolin

Aug 31, 2022
It's very nice to have you, Welcome and best wishes. Thanks for your nice informative and energetic post.

Fourlegsgood2wheelsbad

Jul 27, 2022
Just being welcomed means a lot and I really needed that gift today . one of those days.

Very nice to have met you all and looking fwd to your posts .

Fourlegsgood2wheelsbad