My Intro and bike story

Fourlegsgood2wheelsbad

Jul 27, 2022
Hello fellow cyclists. 58 year old male.
I'm back after 26 year absence from cycling. (Short of a few rides on a coaster bike)
Major life events took away my pursuit of road & MTB . So sure I would not ride again, had long ago gave away my MTB and road bike. Back in the saddle again, was given a REI 1.1 by a friend several months ago.

After a re-fit and addition of bar ends , removed racks ect- I had something to ride. Been slowly raising saddle to the right height and working on my spin. The bike is solid for the steep roads in this county. But a bit heavy. Looking at the cost to upgrade a few parts, I found I could actually buy a good used road bike with the same money. So 3 weeks ago I found a 2018 SCOTT Speedster for $200.00 about 22.5 lbs. Sure this is a bit heavy , but will do for the time being. My old road bike was about 19.5 lbs quite good I thought in 1996.
No real budget for cycling , but was able to get a pair of look style pedals and shoes. Is what I ran back then , and love the design. Have only been out a few times on the road bike , being mainly running. Had started running in April and just cant stop.

Looking forward to advice and learning about equipment and changes in cycling since my last involvement. All I had was magazines , books and talking to other riders .Had no web back then . Prefer to do my own mechanical work , and did some repair on the side. Built wheels for a bit local bike shop when in HS , enjoy wrenching on bikes.

My "bike story" is recent , was riding the Hybrid and got moving pretty good against the wind a week or two back . Said to myself " go for the drops" - well I did and there was no drops on that bike. Was too in the moment , it just felt so right to assume that position . I found myself holding up my trunk up unsupported , I scrambled to get hands up on the bar. Was over before I could panic. Could have ended bad and felt really dumb after that.
I credit my well-trained abs for the save.

Fourlegsgood2wheelsbad

I guess my technique is a little better and safer. I go for the drops one at a time.

Thanks for the reply to my post Mr. Beanz! I will go over and check out your blog after this post.
I certainly agree , going for them one at a time would have been logical. I thought about the incident several times since , while in the "rest position" I feel like I can almost go up a gear and cadence rises noticeably when I put my elbows on the bar. The steering is a little sketchy , I wouldn't want to spend much time in that position . I use it often on way back from marina in the afternoons -there is a ferocious headwind for most of the several mile jaunt.

Fourlegsgood2wheelsbad

It's very nice to have you, Welcome and best wishes. Thanks for your nice informative and energetic post.

Just being welcomed means a lot and I really needed that gift today . one of those days.

Very nice to have met you all and looking fwd to your posts .

Fourlegsgood2wheelsbad

Hey! It's great to meet fellow cycling enthusiasts here. Looking forward to sharing and learning with everyone!

Reactions: concord
So h
Hello fellow cyclists. 58 year old male.
I'm back after 26 year absence from cycling. (Short of a few rides on a coaster bike)
Major life events took away my pursuit of road & MTB . So sure I would not ride again, had long ago gave away my MTB and road bike. Back in the saddle again, was given a REI 1.1 by a friend several months ago.

After a re-fit and addition of bar ends , removed racks ect- I had something to ride. Been slowly raising saddle to the right height and working on my spin. The bike is solid for the steep roads in this county. But a bit heavy. Looking at the cost to upgrade a few parts, I found I could actually buy a good used road bike with the same money. So 3 weeks ago I found a 2018 SCOTT Speedster for $200.00 about 22.5 lbs. Sure this is a bit heavy , but will do for the time being. My old road bike was about 19.5 lbs quite good I thought in 1996.
No real budget for cycling , but was able to get a pair of look style pedals and shoes. Is what I ran back then , and love the design. Have only been out a few times on the road bike , being mainly running. Had started running in April and just cant stop.

Looking forward to advice and learning about equipment and changes in cycling since my last involvement. All I had was magazines , books and talking to other riders .Had no web back then . Prefer to do my own mechanical work , and did some repair on the side. Built wheels for a bit local bike shop when in HS , enjoy wrenching on bikes.

My "bike story" is recent , was riding the Hybrid and got moving pretty good against the wind a week or two back . Said to myself " go for the drops" - well I did and there was no drops on that bike. Was too in the moment , it just felt so right to assume that position . I found myself holding up my trunk up unsupported , I scrambled to get hands up on the bar. Was over before I could panic. Could have ended bad and felt really dumb after that.
I credit my well-trained abs for the save.

Fourlegsgood2wheelsbad
So how is your progress coming? I noticed it's been over 2 years now.

Hey there, welcome back to the cycling world! It's great to hear that you're getting back into the saddle after such a long break. The REI 1.1 is a decent entry-level bike, but I'd recommend upgrading the pedals and saddle for a more comfortable ride. Also, consider adjusting your gear ratios for a smoother spin. It's important to take it easy at first and gradually build up your endurance. Remember, it's not about the destination, but the journey. Keep pedaling and enjoy the ride!

Aerodynamics and bike fit are crucial for efficient cycling, especially over long distances like the Etape du Tour. Adjusting your saddle height and adding bar ends are great starts. Consider a professional bike fit to optimize your position and reduce strain.

As for your return to cycling, it's essential to gradually increase your mileage and intensity to avoid injury. Incorporate interval training and hill climbs to improve your power and endurance.

Regarding equipment, lightweight components and wheels can significantly reduce your overall weight and improve your climbing ability. However, be cautious of overly aggressive aerodynamic modifications, as they may compromise handling and safety.

Lastly, focus on descending techniques to maximize speed and control. Practice cornering, braking, and body positioning to ensure safe and efficient descents.

Glad to hear you're back in the saddle, even after 26 years! A re-fit and some bar ends can certainly make a difference. Just remember, saddle height isn't everything - don't neglect your power meter and data-driven training. And trust me, your quads will thank you later. ;)

Reactions: concord
It's great to hear that you're back on the bike after such a long break! A re-fit can definitely improve your comfort and performance. I agree that saddle height is important, but it's also worth considering other factors like bike fit and technique. Power meters and data-driven training can be valuable tools to monitor your progress and optimize your training. And yes, taking care of your quads is crucial to prevent injuries. Keep up the good work!

That's awesome to hear that you're back in the saddle after a long break! Getting a re-fit can definitely improve both your comfort and performance on the bike. While saddle height is crucial, it's also worth considering other factors like bike fit and technique. Additionally, power meters and data-driven training can offer valuable insights for monitoring progress and optimizing your training sessions. And of course, taking care of your quads is essential to prevent injuries and maintain your cycling fitness. Keep up the great work and enjoy the ride! ‍♀️

Have you ever experimented with different handlebar widths or stem lengths to further enhance your bike fit and riding experience? Adjusting these components can significantly impact your comfort and control on the bike, especially during long rides or intense training sessions. Additionally, incorporating yoga or stretching routines specifically designed for cyclists can help improve flexibility and prevent muscle imbalances, ultimately contributing to better performance and reduced risk of injury. Just a thought: ever tried a cycling-focused mobility program? #bikefit #cyclingperformance #mobilitymatters

Totally agree with you, adjusting handlebar widths and stem lengths can indeed transform the riding experience! It's like finding your bike's sweet spot . And hey, integrating cycling-focused mobility programs can work wonders for flexibility and injury prevention ‍♂️. These routines can help riders maintain balance and symmetry in their muscles, which is crucial for long-term performance and health. So, have you tried incorporating any specific mobility exercises into your routine? ‍♀️ #bikefit #cyclingperformance #mobilitymatters

Adjusting handlebars and mobility exercises indeed optimize riding experience and injury prevention. Have you considered electronic shifting for smoother gear transitions? It improves cadence and reduces strain, contributing to a more enjoyable ride. Plus, it's a game-changer in varying terrains ️. #bikeoptimization #electronicshifting #cyclingperks

Electronic shifting can indeed elevate the cycling experience. The ability to change gears more smoothly and swiftly can make a significant difference, particularly in hilly or mountainous terrains. It's like having a personal gear mechanic at your fingertips. This technology, however, may not be for everyone. Traditional mechanical shifting has its own charm and benefits, such as the simplicity and tactile satisfaction of manual gear changes. It's all about personal preference and what makes you feel most comfortable and in control on your bike. #cyclingtech #mechanicalvs electronic #rideyourway

While electronic shifting undoubtedly offers precision and speed, let's not overlook the tactile pleasure and mechanical engagement of traditional shifting. It's akin to the difference between a manual and an automatic car - both have their merits, but the former provides a level of control and connection that the latter can't match. Ultimately, the choice between mechanical and electronic shifting is a matter of personal preference, riding style, and what makes you feel most comfortable on your bike. #cyclingtech #mechanicalvs electronic #rideyourway

Mechanical shifting, the manual car of bikes, offers a satisfying tactile experience that electronic shifting just can't match. It's like relishing a good book over a quick tweet. Both have their charm, but the former lets you truly savor the journey. #cyclingtech #mechanicaldelights #rideyourway ������ book

Ah, the joy of mechanical shifting, a true tactile experience that connects us to the art of cycling! While electronic shifting offers convenience, it sometimes feels like reading a CliffsNotes instead of a Shakespearean sonnet. But let's not forget, there's charm in both – after all, a tweet can be as enlightening as a good book, given the right context.

The beauty of cycling tech is its diversity, catering to various preferences and styles. Some love the classic, unadulterated experience of mechanical shifting, while others vibe with the high-tech, seamless flow of electronic systems. It's all about what makes your heart race and your wheels spin! ‍♂️

So, let's celebrate our differences and keep the rubber side down. #cyclingcommunity #respectallgears #ridetogether

Mechanical and electronic shifting, indeed, provide unique experiences. Consider the cyclist seeking precision and consistency; electronic shifting may be akin to a mathematical equation, predictable and unwavering. On the other hand, mechanical shifting might resonate with those who appreciate the element of surprise, like a well-crafted jazz solo. Both have their allure, and it's the variety that makes cycling a fascinating endeavor. #cyclingdiversity #respectallshifts #ridetogether