My intro to enduro MTB’ing!

JayWoo

New Member
Nov 8, 2004
A mate of mine (Darren) who go me hooked on Back Country Snowboarding, has been in my ear about getting a MTB so we can do the same types of adventures on pushies. He got together a few other keen MTB’ers to head out and ride around Mt Buller. He did fail to mention the pushing up silly steep slippery hills, endless water crossings & all the other things that can get you off your bike along the way;)

He had acquired a crazy-assed ’06 Scott Genius 30 for me to ride too! Plush!

The Crew met at a Café in Mansfield to look at the map and decide which direction, clockwise or anti clockwise? Anti clockwise was the choice as this would finish the ride with the long down from Howqua Gap to Mirimbah. Easy… Now it was time for the ‘doing’.

We parked at Mirimbah, tweaked our bikes then down the only piece of sealed road for the day to Doyertys road. This is a 4WD track up for 5.5km @ 8.7% then flattens and then down 12kms of awesome fun. The track is littered with water bars which make great things to launch off. I was sitting off the back of the Darren, Andrew & Mike watching as they all banged off these kickers side by side. I wish I’d had a helmet cam!

Sheepyard Flats was the 1st stop for a refuel & the start of the single track up to 8 Mile Flat, Ritches Hut & finishing at The Pike. This is 20 odd kilometres of single track! Up to 8 Mile Flat there was river crossing after river crossing which made any chance of dry feet impossible. Not that it really mattered (at this stage) as the water wasn’t that cold. Another fuel stop at 8 Mile Flat, then onto Ritches Hut for another stop, before pushing on to The Pike. This single track for me was like being a fish out of water as I’ve done stuff all MTB’ing till now. It was a struggle to keep onto their wheels with 2 ‘off’s’ not helping either. Nothing major though, just scratches & burses. It all made for more buckets of fun.

The Pike marked the end of the single track and back onto 4WD tracks. The 1st 2-3kms were impossible to ride due to the gradient, so it was push push push up a slippery clay thing that was supposed to be a 4WD track.

Finally the 4WD track became rideable with a pinch of 3kms @ 10.7% then some down and another pinch of 3.4kms @ 6.7%. This was hard going as the road was littered with rocks. A few more k’s and we were at Howqua Gap. By now it had dropped to 4DegsC, and wet feet were feeling on the cold side. From here there was a few undulations them the solid down from Mt Stirling back to Mirimbah to slowly thaw out.

Map: http://tinyurl.com/kw7be

Ride profile & stats: http://tinyurl.com/zamnb

Pix start here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaywoo/121548643/

JayWoo said:
[...]

Looks like a nice ride... I'll have to try it sometime :). Although maybe not when it's four degrees - brrr!

"JayWoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> ::A mate of mine (Darren) who go me hooked on Back Country Snowboarding,
> has been in my ear about getting a MTB so we can do the same types of
> adventures on pushies. He got together a few other keen MTB'ers to head
> out and ride around Mt Buller....

<snip>

> ::Map: ::*'http://tinyurl.com/kw7be' (http://tinyurl.com/kw7be)*
>
> ::Ride profile & stats: ::*'http://tinyurl.com/zamnb'
> (http://tinyurl.com/zamnb)*
>
> ::pix start here: ::*'http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaywoo/121548643/'
> (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaywoo/121548643/)*

Great ride description and pics that you have there. I have often thought of
riding the Howqua high track to Ritchies. Did you have any problems with
trees down across the trail? I don't recall there being lots of river
crossings on this, it stays on the south bank of the river and there's only
a few side streams. Or were you on the lower river track?

But man, 78 kms in that country, and over 2000m of climbing! Wooo hooo,
this is definitely of the 'epic' status. And don't tell me this was your
_first_ MTB day ride?

Well done JayWoo. You would find the MAD Ride MTB route a bit of a soda -
fun without the gruelling long climbs.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

gplama wrote:

> ***********, to me 'intro' means riding on the grass next to the bike
> path, not 78kms with 2kms of climbing!!.. you crazy bas74rd!
>
> --
> gplama

That's worse than my intro, which was 60km with fsck knows how many
hills... but I know I almost pulled out at the halfway. Well done!

Tam

Peter Signorini said:
I have often thought of riding the Howqua high track to Ritchies. Did you have any problems with trees down across the trail?
I don't recall there being lots of river crossings on this, it stays on the south bank of the river and there's only a few side streams. Or were you on the lower river track?
We took the low track from Sheepyard Flats > The Pike. Could've take the 4WD track, but that wouldn't have been as fun. Same with the trees, plenty to bunny hop over.

Peter Signorini said:
But man, 78 kms in that country, and over 2000m of climbing! Wooo hooo,
this is definitely of the 'epic' status. And don't tell me this was your
_first_ MTB day ride?
The 4WD tracks were no probs for me, I like my hill climbing out on the road so it wasn't too different, just slower. My mate took me along the rabbit warren that is the Yarra trails (Melb's quick fix MTB mecca) a few weeks back to see if I had the bike handling skills & he reckoned I was fine. Not as fast as him, but fine to not slow the group down too much. Ha! They had to wait for me on the single track, I had to wait for them on the climbs. Swings & Roundabouts:D My legs felt like I'd done a 150km road ride, but my **** weak upper body was feeling the pinch. From all the extra (as apposed to road riding) bike handling I'm thinking.

JayWoo wrote:

> 4WD track, but that wouldn't have been as fun. Same with the trees,
> plenty to bunny hop over.

Barrington tops to Gloucester River, you definitely won't bunny hop over
those. {:).

"JayWoo" wrote:

> Peter Signorini Wrote:
>>
>> I have often thought of riding the Howqua high track to Ritchies. Did
>> you have any problems with trees down across the trail?
>> I don't recall there being lots of river crossings on this, it stays on
>> the south bank of the river and there's only a few side streams. Or were
>> you on the lower river track?

>We took the low track from Sheepyard Flats > The Pike. Could've take the
> 4WD track, but that wouldn't have been as fun. Same with the trees,
> plenty to bunny hop over.

Oh, then that is what's called the 'high track'. It's a narrow bridle trail,
not 4WD. I believe there is also a lower track along the river. Or maybe it
_is_ the river :)

>The 4WD tracks were no probs for me, I like my hill climbing out on the
> road so it wasn't too different, just slower.

Yes, but that climb up the Corn Hill 4WD track is a wall! Lots of respect,
Obi Wan.

<snip>

> My legs felt like I'd done a 150km road ride

That's been my experience too. In fact a technical 40km (single-track, ruts,
rock scramlbing, gullies and steep climbs) can usually feel as hard as
100-130km on the road. You did well.
--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

The worst is when your thumbs are too rooted to press the shifters any
more. That's when I want my Gripshifts back!

Donga

Donga wrote:
> The worst is when your thumbs are too rooted to press the shifters any
> more.

Nah, shifting is overrated anyway. The worst thing is when your fingers
are too tired to use the brakes...

Parbs

On 2006-04-03, Parbs (aka Bruce)
> Donga wrote:
>> The worst is when your thumbs are too rooted to press the shifters any
>> more.

> Nah, shifting is overrated anyway. The worst thing is when your fingers
> are too tired to use the brakes...

Don't worry, friction with the ground will heat you up.

Alternatively, jam your fingers on the tires -- your fingers will
absorb all the kinetic energy of the bike, and they'll be magically
warm again!

--
TimC
Smash head on keyboard to continue.

gplama said:
***********, to me 'intro' means riding on the grass next to the bike path, not 78kms with 2kms of climbing!!.. you crazy bas74rd!
Hey, least he didn't do it on the SS!

Jono

Single Speed Sundays:rolleyes: Bah! I enjoy having 20 gears to choose from! And someones wheel to follow...

Jono