My intro to MUNI..

Racenut

Guest
OK.. so we went to a state park for a picnic today.. I decided to take
my uni to see if I could ride on a few dirt trails as I had never
actually tried it. After airing the tire down a bit, I had some fun
and figured out how to hop over some roots and stuff. I rode till I
was sore and thinking.. I really need to get a better seat.

So on the way out of the park, we drive by 5 or 6 people and they have
real live honest MUNIs! I'm like... whoa.. cool.. so I stop to talk
for a bit. I've never seen a real MUNI up close... much less ever
tried to ride one. They were more than happy to let me test drive one.
Neato! KH24 and QUAX...

So they invite me to come along for some light trail riding.. OK.. what
the heck.. I'm doing OK keeping up then we get to a good downhill.. I
made it through the first half or 2/3 of it and was holding the pedals
back hard going down the hill and hit a root.. it bucked me off... my
ankle took a hit and was sore, but I was still walking on it.. so I
start riding again and it feels weird.... so I let one of the other
guys ride it to make sure it wasn't just my ankle... no such luck... I
bent and twisted the Torker LX hub... oops..... works fine for
cruising around the paved universe but the first time I did anything
remotely extreme, it's done....

Sounds like a good excuse to upgrade :D

--
Racenut
Racenut's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11339

Hardware failure is God's way of telling you to upgrade :D

--
evil-nick

Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total
obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and
through me. And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see
its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will
remain.

* Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear.

I'm late for checkers with the Dalai Lama!

My gallery:
http://evil.linuxfreak.ca/uni.html
Our Club:
http://cs.ubishops.ca/~buuc/
evil-nick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6692

evil-nick wrote:
> Hardware failure is God's way of telling you to upgrade :D

Yeah.. I'm looking.... The guys I met out there mostly had KH24's.
Very nice.. but not cheap. Of course they recommended them, especially
since I'm not a lightweight, they seemed to think that anything less
wouldn't hold up and I'd be in the same boat... maybe not after the
first time out... but still.

Looking at the KH24 Freeride.. Koxx Track Monster 24.. QU AX... I
dunno.. I don't see myself doing 4ft drops, but I don't want to be
tweaking things everytime I go out. And my wife still hasn't gotten
her jaw relocated after finding out a KH24 was well over $500.
:rolleyes:

--
Racenut
Racenut's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11339

If you want to keep your Muni low cost then try to slavage parts from
your old one(seat, seatpost, pedals maybe) and then customize one for
yourself.

The Muni im building is splined and is gonna cost about $400. I used
the old Gen 1 Kh setup and its worked great on my trials so i figured
that it would serve great for a Muni. It also helps to kno someone who
works in a bike shop. Then they can build your wheel in their spare
time!.

Or you could just go ahead and buy one that is all pre made for you. I
like the personal touch that a custom Muni gives:)

--
trials_uni

TRIALS 4 LIFE !

koebwil wrote:
> I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
> letters I don't want

w00t...i got reply # 60666 in MR

24" DX

can be extreme with it without being extreme to the wallet!

Chase

--
Unitik908

All hail the exhaulted Sigpoose, for he is forever king...
R.I.P Unibiker
R.I.P Gazzaloddi
R.I.P Paul Hester
R.I.P James Doohan
R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
R.I.P Peter Jennings
R.I.P Pope John Paul II
R.I.P James_Potters_Cat
YAMS

-last edited by the dave and sigpoose on 2005-09-05 at 08:56 pm -

Well.. went to the bike shop and he said no worries, he'll get it taken
care of. Should have parts by the end of the week. +1 for dealing
with the local guy! :)

I looked at the DX, but it seems tire clearance can become an issue
there. If I do this, I'm thinking I'm going to want a 3" tire, mainly
because I'm well over 200 pounds and the skinnier the tire, the more
air I have to run to keep the rim off the ground.

The owner of the bike shop says Profile is supposed to have a uni out
this fall. I know their uni hubs/cranks are highly regarded.. I guess
they're doing a frame too. But I hate waiting haha...

--
Racenut
Racenut's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11339

Terrybigwheel on these forums runs a 24x3" Duro tire in his Torker DX
and he says theres lots of clearance. The only tire that i think may
not fit into the 24" DX frame is the Gazz.

--
trials_uni

TRIALS 4 LIFE !

koebwil wrote:
> I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
> letters I don't want

w00t...i got reply # 60666 in MR

yeah the 06' torker can fit 3" tires in them

Chase

--

Racenut wrote:
> Profile is supposed to have a uni out this fall. I know their uni
> hubs/cranks are highly regarded.. I guess they're doing a frame too.
> But I hate waiting haha...

When I bought my Profile hub & cranks a few months ago, they came with
a catalog that had the Profile unicycle in it. UDC has a picture of it
here:

http://www.unicycle.com/Shopping/shopexd.asp?id=111

But they're not selling the whole thing, just the frame. Weird. It's
more expensive than the KH frame ($199)...but made from ChroMo.

In general, you get what you pay for. Drop the $$$ now or drop 'em
later...but you'll probably drop 'em no matter what. :D

terrybigwheel recently upgraded to the KH, and seems quite happy with
it.

--
entropy

Shut up and ride.
entropy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5816

Good on ya! You wont be dissappointed. No more twisted hubs for you!

--
trials_uni

TRIALS 4 LIFE !

koebwil wrote:
> I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
> letters I don't want

w00t...i got reply # 60666 in MR