My kingdom for a chainring. Stronglight 122mm BCD, ~42t

Andrew Blake

Guest
This is a bit of an odd request, but does anyone out there in a.b. land
happen to have a 3/32" 122mm BCD (Stronglight 93) chainring with 40/42/44/46
teeth that they'd part with for a reasonable sum? My 42t from 1974 is
extremely worn out, no way I'm using it with a new chain & sprocket.

Sheldon stocks them, but US$32 is too
much.(http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/chainrings/122.html)

Bicycle Revolution were no good, stacks of Biopace rings, not much else.

In return I can supply a 52/54t ring in good condition if required.

I've even considered getting one laser cut from 6061 aluminium/stainless
steel stock, has anyone ever done this before? Imagine the custom
lettering/images you could whack in there!

Andrew (Who should give up on this quest and just look for 130mm BCD cranks
instead)

Andrew Blake wrote:

> This is a bit of an odd request, but does anyone out there in
> a.b. land happen to have a 3/32" 122mm BCD (Stronglight 93)
> chainring with 40/42/44/46 teeth that they'd part with for a
> reasonable sum? My 42t from 1974 is extremely worn out, no way
> I'm using it with a new chain & sprocket.
>
> Sheldon stocks them, but US$32 is too
> much.(http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/chainrings/122.html)
>
> Bicycle Revolution were no good, stacks of Biopace rings, not
> much else.
>
> In return I can supply a 52/54t ring in good condition if
> required.
>
> I've even considered getting one laser cut from 6061
> aluminium/stainless steel stock, has anyone ever done this
> before? Imagine the custom lettering/images you could whack in
> there!
>
> Andrew (Who should give up on this quest and just look for
> 130mm BCD cranks instead)

If all else fails, maybe http://tinyurl.com/b9w6u will fit? A
bit cheaper at US$18.10 plus freight from France
(www.xxcycle.com).

John

"John Henderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> If all else fails, maybe http://tinyurl.com/b9w6u will fit? A
> bit cheaper at US$18.10 plus freight from France
> (www.xxcycle.com).
>
> John

Thanks John, that would fit perfectly! I'm not sure what the other ring of
holes is for, but at least one of them is 122BCD. I'll toss up between that
and just finding a cheap 130 BCD crankset

Andrew.

"Andrew Blake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "John Henderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> If all else fails, maybe http://tinyurl.com/b9w6u will fit? A
>> bit cheaper at US$18.10 plus freight from France
>> (www.xxcycle.com).
>>
>> John

> Thanks John, that would fit perfectly! I'm not sure what the other ring of
> holes is for, but at least one of them is 122BCD. I'll toss up between
> that and just finding a cheap 130 BCD crankset
>
> Andrew.

I've had my first experience of Stronglight this week, another rescue from
the recycling bike for me!

This bike has Stronglight cranks and headset. It has the ring in the
picture, the outer holes are for mounting a "trouser guard", which is fitted
to my beast which is a tourer.

The headset had me going for a while, sloppy as hell or binding. A google
search after your post enlightened me to the needle roller set up. So with
some interest I pulled it apart to reveal a good condition headset gummed up
with dried grease very much like gasket cement. A strip down and clean had
everything functioning fine.

Rest of the bike is quite nice, a Swiss "Velomaier" with light steel frame,
nice light components and quality gruppo for a late 70's bike (my guess).
Reason for it being in the recycling? Seems like the original rear
derailleur was damaged and the hanger bent inwards. Replaced with a cheap
Shimano unit, with missing jockey wheels. Straightening and replacing the
jockey wheels has sorted it all out.

Cheers
Greg
the Zürich recycling rat :)