my latest news, and request best place to ride

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Merlin, Feb 24, 2004.

  1. Bob Rogers

    Bob Rogers Guest

  2. Merlin

    Merlin Guest

  3. Bob Rogers

    Bob Rogers Guest

    "Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > yet you joke that I will pull a "Pyle" before the end of boot. I guess even trolls have limits ;-)
    >
    > ~Travis

    That's no joke Travis. It's the law of probability.

    Anyway, put up or shut up.

  4. Bob Rogers

    Bob Rogers Guest

    "Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > besides, the army recruiter is less than a mile from my home ;-)
    >
    > ~Travis

    Which only goes to prove that he would rather have you in the Army as opposed to having you in his
    neighborhood

  5. Merlin

    Merlin Guest

    "Bob Rogers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >

    > > yet you joke that I will pull a "Pyle" before the end of boot. I guess even trolls have
    > > limits ;-)
    > >
    > > ~Travis
    >

    > That's no joke Travis. It's the law of probability.
    >
    > Anyway, put up or shut up.

    I can't put up, not yet.

    and I don't fall under "the law of probability", I am more of a "chaos" person.

    while I may follow a rough pattern, I also throw a few curves now and then.

    you all expect me to fail the Army, I intend to have great success in the Army. notice, I didn't sat
    "I will try", I said "I intend to".

    ~Travis (2 days left)

  6. Merlin

    Merlin Guest

    "Bob Rogers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > besides, the army recruiter is less than a mile from my home ;-)
    > >
    > > ~Travis
    >
    > Which only goes to prove that he would rather have you in the Army as opposed to having you in his
    > neighborhood

    he may work near where I live, but he lives about 40 miles away. needless to say, I am not in his
    neighborhood.

    Besides, my opinion leans more to the fact he probably has a quota to meet.

    ~Travis (2 days left)

  7. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    Merlin stood on a soapbox and shouted to anyone who would listen :

    > and I don't fall under "the law of probability", I am more of a "chaos" person.
    >
    > while I may follow a rough pattern, I also throw a few curves now and then.
    >
    > you all expect me to fail the Army, I intend to have great success in the Army. notice, I didn't
    > sat "I will try", I said "I intend to".
    >
    > ~Travis (2 days left)

    how about "I will".. no intent or trying

    remember, do or do not, there is no try ( or intend)

    good luck

    Penny

  8. Merlin

    Merlin Guest

    "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Merlin stood on a soapbox and shouted to anyone who would listen :
    > >>
    > > and I don't fall under "the law of probability", I am more of a "chaos" person.
    > >
    > > while I may follow a rough pattern, I also throw a few curves now and then.
    > >
    > > you all expect me to fail the Army, I intend to have great success in the Army. notice, I didn't
    > > sat "I will try", I said "I intend to".
    > >
    > > ~Travis (2 days left)
    >

    > how about "I will".. no intent or trying
    >
    > remember, do or do not, there is no try ( or intend)
    >
    > good luck
    >
    > Penny

    I said "intend" because there may be unforeseen barriers. such as my fitness level, or lack of. I
    can do the 13 push-ups, and 17 sit-ups. but I can't run a mile in 8:30 (more like 15:10). I don't
    know how long it will take for me to hang around in PT camp before I can meet the requirements, or
    get kicked out.

    but I fully intend, with all my heart to do > my best in order to succeed.

    sure, I can say "I will" to psych myself into pushing harder. but facts at hand, all I can say to
    others is "I intend to". Keep in mind, I have never been "black or white". I have only ever been in
    the gray area (except shortly after birth when I was a shade of yellow ;-)

    but, before I get off on one of the tangents that seems to be the foundation of my cyber history...
    I am simply saying that "I will" be the best that I can possibly be, as I can do no better.

    ~Travis

  9. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 08:50:33 -0800, Penny S wrote:

    > how about "I will".. no intent or trying
    >
    > remember, do or do not, there is no try ( or intend)

    As much as I find Star Wars quotes to be kind of geeky, I have to admit this is one of my favorites.
    Though I think its more like: "No! Try not!
    Do. Or do not. There is no try."

    Wisdom from a little green puppet, applicable to much of life.

    So Travis, here are a couple of thoughts that I'll leave you with.

    Military training is all about paying attention to what they're telling you to do, and then doing
    it, even if it sucks (which it probably will). Do everything you can to stay in the middle of the
    formation (though that is mainly dictated by your height), and you'll draw less attention.

    Most importantly: always keep your opinions to yourself. As another movie quote says, you're "here
    to defend democracy, not practice it."

  10. NotaKnob

    NotaKnob Guest

    > but yeah, if I can, I'll let both of you know. I'll need some form of non-internet contact though,
    > as I am unsure of the internet access I will have during training.

    I saw that they have already created your AKO account. Welcome pfc! I'm not sure if they informed
    you of your email address, but it's a composite of your [email protected]

    Once you get an assignment, I recommend going to a DRMO location and getting a pc from the vast
    assortment of life-cycle-replacements. Or, better yet, save a little money and get a used one right
    before payday when someone's desperate for cash. That's also a good way to accumulate some very nice
    audio/video equipment...

    nk 'also a pfc'

  11. Merlin

    Merlin Guest

    "NotaKnob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > but yeah, if I can, I'll let both of you know. I'll need some form of non-internet contact
    > > though, as I am unsure of the internet access I
    will
    > > have during training.
    > >

    > I saw that they have already created your AKO account. Welcome pfc!

    so thats why i couldn't register... (guess my recruiter forgot to tell me. got my pass now :) as
    for pfc, last i knew, i was just a pvt, sir ;-)

    > I'm not sure if they informed you of your email address, but it's a composite of your
    > [email protected]

    yeah, he just confirmed that when i called him.

    > Once you get an assignment, I recommend going to a DRMO location and getting a pc from the vast
    > assortment of life-cycle-replacements. Or, better yet, save a little money and get a used one
    > right before payday when someone's desperate for cash. That's also a good way to accumulate some
    > very nice audio/video equipment...
    >
    > nk 'also a pfc'

    I figure, with no housing bills, I intend to buy a new computer, of the laptop variety (desktops are
    a pain in the ass to transport).

    now that I have AKO access, I'm browsing the site to see what is there. (and sending myself a
    test email ;-)

    I'll fix my posting email address after I send this :)

    ~Travis (travis.j.farmer AT us DOT army DOT mil)

  12. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    BB wrote:

    > Wisdom from a little green puppet, applicable to much of life.

    Amen. Go for the fat pink one that looks like a pig.

  13. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry Guest

    bomba wrote:

    > BB wrote:
    >
    >> Wisdom from a little green puppet, applicable to much of life.
    >

    > Amen. Go for the fat pink one that looks like a pig.

    I'm trying to imagine a conversation between Miss Piggy and Yoda. Can't do it. The brain kinda locks
    up at the thought.

    Shawn

  14. Kathleen

    Kathleen Guest

    BB wrote: <snip>

    > Military training is all about paying attention to what they're telling you to do, and then doing
    > it, even if it sucks (which it probably will).
    <snip>

    This applies in lots of situations outside the military as well. Student/teacher and
    employee/boss relationships, for starters. My daughter was complaining about her algebra
    teacher. Said the woman was unreasonable. On the first day, she laid out a bunch of rules
    about the formatting of homework, the fact that she wanted to see *only* a textbook, a
    single sheet of paper and a pencil on their desks at any given time, etc. I told her that in
    fact, this teacher was going to be an easy one to deal with. She's told you up front how to
    make her happy, so just do
    it. The bad ones are the psychos who either won't tell you what they want, or keep changing
    their minds.

    Kathleen

  15. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 22:11:41 GMT, Shawn Curry wrote:

    > I'm trying to imagine a conversation between Miss Piggy and Yoda. Can't do it. The brain kinda
    > locks up at the thought.

    I somehow imagine Miss Piggy having all sorts of attitude, and Yoda being all giggly and having a
    big stiffie. I'm not sure why.

  16. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote

    > I said "intend" because there may be unforeseen barriers. such as my
    fitness
    > level, or lack of. I can do the 13 push-ups, and 17 sit-ups. but I can't run a mile in 8:30 (more
    > like 15:10). I don't know how long it will take for me to hang
    around
    > in PT camp before I can meet the requirements, or get kicked out.

    That's what basic training is *for*. You think everyone who shows up is in shape? Not a chance.

    2 months of daily workouts will do wonders.

    > but I fully intend, with all my heart to do > my best in order to succeed.
    >
    > sure, I can say "I will" to psych myself into pushing harder. but facts at hand, all I can say to
    > others is "I intend to". Keep in mind, I have never been "black or white". I have only ever been
    > in the gray area (except shortly after birth when I was a shade of yellow ;-)

    You are the only one who can fail you.

    > but, before I get off on one of the tangents that seems to be the
    foundation
    > of my cyber history... I am simply saying that "I will" be the best that I can possibly be, as I
    > can do no better.

    And that depends on what ceiling you impose on yourself.

    Pete

  17. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote

    > but, before I get off on one of the tangents that seems to be the
    foundation
    > of my cyber history... I am simply saying that "I will" be the best that I can possibly be, as I
    > can do no better.

    A few thoughts, from someone who has been there.

    Do not be last. This means getting it right the first time. Do not be first, unless you really *are*
    that good. You are *not* the life of this party. Don't act like you are. Don't complain. Suck it up
    and just do it. When he yells, don't take it personally. They all yell. It may seem stupid and
    senseless. Too bad...do it anyway. There is always someone bigger/faster/stronger/smarter. Some of
    these people *are* idiots. Identify and avoid. Don't let them suck you down. Teamwork. You cannot
    survive going solo.

    It's not impossible. Everyone you see (except for your fellow recruits) has already done it.
    Including me.

    Pete

  18. Bob Rogers

    Bob Rogers Guest

  19. Bob Rogers

    Bob Rogers Guest

    "Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Besides, my opinion leans more to the fact he probably has a quota to
    meet.

    > ~Travis (2 days left)

    My, you are the sharp knife in the drawer.

  20. Bob Rogers

    Bob Rogers Guest